SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Just some memories (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/440178-just-some-memories.html)

Mtphc 07-10-2019 11:05 PM

Just some memories

Well one of them.

​​​​​​When you were actively drinking do you remember yourself at the store with a bottle early in the morning already experiencing withdrawals just waiting there super anxious by the check-out for the sale hour?

Now that I reflect back I could laugh at it as I'm approaching the one year mark. Just one of the many deterrents when drinking comes to mind.

Dee74 07-11-2019 12:09 AM

I had occasion to visit the shopping centre I used to go to today - the liquor store store there always open half an hour earlier than every where else for some reason.

The stores actually moved but the mall still stirred up some not very happy memories.

D

Briansy 07-11-2019 01:46 AM

How about every time I open the WhatsApp app. The stuff I've sent to people in the midst of blackouts. Jeez. Chilling. But people move on. As long as you get your **** together...

ScottFromWI 07-11-2019 06:59 AM

Not that exact memory as I always stockpiled enough beer that i'd never run out in the AM..... I do remember days though where I would attempt to chug my first beer of the day to stave off withdrawals - but immediately throw it back up due to my stomach being so messed up from drinking all day the day before. And then drinking another one right after I threw the other one up but more slowly so it would hopefully stay down. Just one of the many things that i still want to remember so i never go back to that way of life.

entropy1964 07-11-2019 07:33 AM

Oh god yes. I see a box of Black Box wine and I gag. 5:58am, standing there , wine in hand and waiting....just 2 minutes. Hang in there.

Mtphc 07-11-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 7224767)
Not that exact memory as I always stockpiled enough beer that i'd never run out in the AM..... I do remember days though where I would attempt to chug my first beer of the day to stave off withdrawals - but immediately throw it back up due to my stomach being so messed up from drinking all day the day before. And then drinking another one right after I threw the other one up but more slowly so it would hopefully stay down. Just one of the many things that i still want to remember so i never go back to that way of life.

Not stockpiling was my personal attempt to "control" my drinking lol. Therefore my last 2 years of drinking I would always try to buy pints. Which was odd because this didn't do much to control it. It would just complicate things when I would get up early in the morning to go to the store and get more haha.

Don't miss those days at all.

SoberCAH 07-11-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mtphc (Post 7224531)

Well one of them.

​​​​​​When you were actively drinking do you remember yourself at the store with a bottle early in the morning already experiencing withdrawals just waiting there super anxious by the check-out for the sale hour?

Now that I reflect back I could laugh at it as I'm approaching the one year mark. Just one of the many deterrents when drinking comes to mind.

I certainly do.

When I was in college, you could buy beer from 5:00 a.m. until 3:00 a.m. the following morning.

But that 3:00 - 5:00 a.m. window got to be a real headache because it took place in the middle of some fairly critical drinking hours.

I remember going to the convenience and just waiting around for the last 30 minutes of that dreadful 2 hour period to end.

And then the whiskey store would open at 9:00 a.m. and have to close at 11:00 p.m. and on Sundays entirely.

I worked at a liquor store while I was in grad school.

If I showed up to open the store at a few minutes after 9:00 a.m., people who had been waiting in the parking lot would be downright hateful to me.

I'm glad these types of concerns no longer have any place in my life.

Surlyredhead 07-11-2019 05:36 PM

I remember that well, hands shaking as I handed over my money early in the morning, the cashier looking at me with pity and disgust in their eye, it was horrible.

Mtphc 07-11-2019 08:28 PM

You see replies like these and it just gives you more good reasons not to drink 😉

Mtphc 07-12-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Briansy (Post 7224586)
How about every time I open the WhatsApp app. The stuff I've sent to people in the midst of blackouts. Jeez. Chilling. But people move on. As long as you get your **** together...

I did this a couple time while drunk of course via text and just made an ass of my self talking about personal stuff. God how embarrassing, and it was somebody I hadn't spoken to in ages too on one of those 😬

Stayingsassy 07-12-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mtphc (Post 7224822)
Not stockpiling was my personal attempt to "control" my drinking lol. Therefore my last 2 years of drinking I would always try to buy pints. Which was odd because this didn't do much to control it. It would just complicate things when I would get up early in the morning to go to the store and get more haha.

Don't miss those days at all.

I purposefully did not buy enough. I’d buy two six packs of hard seltzer and say “this should be enough and if it’s not then it’s ridiculous.” Middle of the day, about 7-8 in, realize the alc content wasn’t high enough to give me the hit I wanted, and switch to gin or vodka and drink until blackout.

Next day or next drinking binge I’d have four left over to start with. Then all of the husbands clear liquor to finish with....unless I was doing whiskey, in which case I could start and finish with whiskey.

I’d just wipe out entire days. I know that one drink takes me right back to that and who in hell would voluntarily go back to that?? I suppose not knowing that you’ll always drink your way right back to the exact part of your past that started your sobriety. I do know many, many, many relapses started with “of course I can control it, there’s no way I’m a real alcoholic” and ended with “oh ****....I am a real alcoholic....”. Then it became “I’m a real alcoholic, but I don’t care, and I’ll drink anyway.” Did that for awhile, and then consequences; the kind that matter, started to rack up.

Ken33xx 07-12-2019 08:59 PM

I was rarely without booze in the house. I always made sure I had enough to take the edge off. To square me away.

Mtphc 07-12-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy (Post 7225842)

I’d just wipe out entire days.

That right there is one of the things that would make it feel so dark and depressing.
​​​​​​
I remember waking up still drunk right before sunrise, then after that the day was one big blur, then next thing I know it was sunset again, uggh it was horrible just being in that continuous drunken state and then realising that you're stuck again, and with the sober time I have now it makes it feel that much worse looking back at it.

Sorry if I talk about this so much it's just that to this day I'm still very baffled about what had transpired from all the drinking.

Stayingsassy 07-13-2019 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mtphc (Post 7225878)
That right there is one of the things that would make it feel so dark and depressing.
​​​​​​
I remember waking up still drunk right before sunrise, then after that the day was one big blur, then next thing I know it was sunset again, uggh it was horrible just being in that continuous drunken state and then realising that you're stuck again, and with the sober time I have now it makes it feel that much worse looking back at it.

Sorry if I talk about this so much it's just that to this day I'm still very baffled about what had transpired from all the drinking.

I think it’s good to talk about it. I rehash here plenty. I remind myself who I am and where I came from. It’s what reminds me of the blessing I have now.

I’m not exactly happy or content right now. But my sobriety is an intense blessing. It took nearly two years to understand that those two concepts don’t have to have anything to do with each other for me to get sober. Sobriety doesn’t have to “fix your life.” Being sober is the point, itself.

Mtphc 07-13-2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy (Post 7226304)
I think it’s good to talk about it. I rehash here plenty. I remind myself who I am and where I came from. It’s what reminds me of the blessing I have now.

I’m not exactly happy or content right now. But my sobriety is an intense blessing. It took nearly two years to understand that those two concepts don’t have to have anything to do with each other for me to get sober. Sobriety doesn’t have to “fix your life.” Being sober is the point, itself.

I think I would be afraid of experiencing the effects or slight buzz of one beer. I guess you could say that I'm afraid of alcohol now, after what it did to me and what could of happened had I continued on.

Enough was enough after going to rehab for a month being away from everything, and just being scared to death of losing it all while I was in there. I think that's exactly what I needed: my personal rock bottom.

Now I appreciate the little things in life much more, and I'm in a much better place.

​​

Mtphc 07-13-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ken33xx (Post 7225863)
I was rarely without booze in the house. I always made sure I had enough to take the edge off. To square me away.

I also did this too for a long while, but I remember when I would take time off from work or vacation time, I would easily embibe or very close to a fifth and a half of vodka when ever I could. Not very fond memories.