Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My mom is going to send me Valium for my plane flight

Notices

Old 07-24-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How big do you think the risk of relapse is, taking Valium once to avoid a panic attack on the plane?

I get anxious in elevators as well, this is just an ingrained primitive thing. Claustrophobia.

I’d really rather not relapse in Hawaii.

I feel so damned shaky lately. . Like I’m close to it, but my kids watching me like a hawk all the time are the only thread keeping me from it.

I do mean watching me, also. I literally can’t relapse without destroying these two: my 22 year old and 13 year old daughters, we are bound at the hip and I cannot lie to them even if I tried..they would know.

You guys think I’m solid but I think it’s more that living with my daughters is like living in inpatient rehab. They just don’t let me go there, at all.

I can go to bars no problem but this goddamned plane flight is getting me closer to a problem than I’ve been in two years. If I’d known it would get to me this much I would not have planned it.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
How big do you think the risk of relapse is, taking Valium once to avoid a panic attack on the plane?
The Valium risk? I don't know. I think all the mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through--and probably only alluding to here--is the greater risk. I know you have heard this: The relapse happens well before the drink.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was addicted to Valium and other benzo's for years.

I would never, ever take another Valium for any reason at all.

I would rather be afraid on a jet flight than take some which is just like solid alcohol.

Your idea will very likely jeopardize your sobriety, which would be awful because you have done such a wonderful job.

I hope that you throw it down the drain.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't take the Valium.
The main reason being it's not prescribed for you and second, unless you've used it before, you don't know what kind of affect it's going to have on you.
I drank my way through many an air trip. Your post brings back memories of those, but then I found out I could enjoy the plane ride sober. And I am extremely claustrophobic.

I really hope you choose not to take it. I take a Benzo and they're nothing to mess around with.
I wish you the best.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Well benzo's are basically like booze in pill form. That's why we take them when detoxing....fakes the ole noggin out so we don't have seizures etc. So it's not unheard of that this could stir the beast a bit. It has been my experience that alcoholics have a pretty darn hard time with benzos if given regular access.

I'm proud of you for coming here and asking tho, means you are thinking. However I can't answer your question. I'm pretty darn sure I could take a valium on a plane and not have it be the end of my sobriety. I do know that all those umbrella drinks in Hawaii would have me thinking tho....so I'd be planning on how to deal with that.

Have you thought about talking to your dr about it? Rather than getting them from Mom, get them from a dr? I dunno. Only you can really decide.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It can be dangerous to take prescription meds that were not prescribed for you. I say don't do it. If you feel you need something, then go to your doctor and ask for something.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taking Valium sounds risky to me on a number of levels, Stayingsassy., the first of which is taking a med that hasn’t been prescribed for you. 30,000 feet in the air is a dangerous place to have a negative reaction to a med.

The second risk is that of a risk to your beautiful sobriety. Maybe become familiar with and practice some deep breathing techniques prior to your flight. You could use those techniques prior to and during your flight. Maybe download some calming meditations onto a device and listen to them before and during the flight. Take a good book with you. It will feel so good to arrive at your destination sober and hangover-free from any substance whatsoever.

Most of all, have a wonderful time in Hawaii.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
The Valium risk? I don't know. I think all the mental gymnastics you are putting yourself through--and probably only alluding to here--is the greater risk. I know you have heard this: The relapse happens well before the drink.
Yes, it does.

What if I’m just using flight anxiety as an excuse to drink?

Looking at my family like, what do you guys expect, do you expect me to actually do this sober, you know I can’t do this sober....

Tricks, tricks up the sleeve.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, you absolutely can do this sober and you will be so very proud of yourself for doing so.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I was addicted to Valium and other benzo's for years.

I would never, ever take another Valium for any reason at all.

I would rather be afraid on a jet flight than take some which is just like solid alcohol.

Your idea will very likely jeopardize your sobriety, which would be awful because you have done such a wonderful job.

I hope that you throw it down the drain.

I agree with all your points on Valium here, but especially this.

I fear it would “wake things up.”

My mother is flying to the east coast today. She is anxious, and she mentioned she had Valium. Then without prompting she said she’d send me two tablets.

Then I got too interested in that, the idea of feeling peace on that flight, and then the drinking thoughts started.

If just the mention of Valium gets me considering drinking again, actually taking it is likely dangerous to my sobriety.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Taking Valium sounds risky to me on a number of levels, Stayingsassy., the first of which is taking a med that hasn’t been prescribed for you. 30,000 feet in the air is a dangerous place to have a negative reaction to a med.

The second risk is that of a risk to your beautiful sobriety. Maybe become familiar with and practice some deep breathing techniques prior to your flight. You could use those techniques prior to and during your flight. Maybe download some calming meditations onto a device and listen to them before and during the flight. Take a good book with you. It will feel so good to arrive at your destination sober and hangover-free from any substance whatsoever.

Most of all, have a wonderful time in Hawaii.
I have taken it years before during flight. Honestly: it barely took the edge off and I took it with alcohol. So it didn’t help, much. My last flight I only drank whiskey and a lot of it. That of course did the trick.

I don’t have anything to use, any more. I genuinely do fear that the benzo would wake it up. I’d want to feel it again and I’d just drink to get the effect.

Same with marijuana....it does the opposite, makes me paranoid and hyper aware, but altered just enough to want the real thing which is of course alcohol.

Never cured.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like going the way of the true Sassy (pure, natural and unaltered) is the best way! Have a very lovely time!
Old 07-24-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Sassy, glad you are thinking about this decision. You don't mention asking your sponsor or spiritual mentor or praying about it to your Higher Power. Not that AA has a monopoly on sobriety...
Old 07-24-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Flying without a benzo (for me) would put me at a very high risk for relapse on alcohol. I have tried before and had panic attacks on the plane. Which is why my doctor will prescribe Xanax for me. (One reason).

I second that you should talk to your doctor, not take them from your mother. You could run into trouble having pills that do not belong to you.

I have been sober almost a year and would love to experience Hawaii! Being sober for your trip is essential! Do what you need to do but do not drink. Alcohol ruins vacations! We all know this. Play the tape forward. Best wishes to you.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Those are my thoughts too. I see a few red flags here, Sassy- that your kids are who you are crediting/relying on to keep you sober (tho I totally get it having watched my mom with hawkeyes...) - like carl said, the mental gymnastics - the fear and shakiness you've identified (which is so important btw)....even why you are going on a trip with all of this tumult inside you - to HI?

Everyone who's read my posts know I was extremely conservative and safety-seeking, early on (my mom actually told me today I might want to think about broadening my carefully chosen circle and routines...very valid at this stage, I think) - and here's the thing specifically to your valium part, tho I do think it's the tangible part of this risky situation, not the actual risk:

Being on firm ground is my basis for taking meds. I take Ativan. My anxiety is something we've identified all along and I've been re-assessing how to handle recently. I don't take pain meds, more than one advil a day for a back injury (which pretty much dose nada but it is the actual normal dose!).....and I would hope you'd be conservative here. For me, any door ajar would be a relapse risk the way you lay it all out.

I'm glad you're letting more out about what's really going on, Sassy.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Those are my thoughts too. I see a few red flags here, Sassy- that your kids are who you are crediting/relying on to keep you sober (tho I totally get it having watched my mom with hawkeyes...) - like carl said, the mental gymnastics - the fear and shakiness you've identified (which is so important btw)....even why you are going on a trip with all of this tumult inside you - to HI?

Everyone who's read my posts know I was extremely conservative and safety-seeking, early on (my mom actually told me today I might want to think about broadening my carefully chosen circle and routines...very valid at this stage, I think) - and here's the thing specifically to your valium part, tho I do think it's the tangible part of this risky situation, not the actual risk:

Being on firm ground is my basis for taking meds. I take Ativan. My anxiety is something we've identified all along and I've been re-assessing how to handle recently. I don't take pain meds, more than one advil a day for a back injury (which pretty much dose nada but it is the actual normal dose!).....and I would hope you'd be conservative here. For me, any door ajar would be a relapse risk the way you lay it all out.

I'm glad you're letting more out about what's really going on, Sassy.
I really thought I was strong enough for the trip, which is why I planned it, but now I see in retrospect how seriously these decisions need to be undertaken.

I’m still going on the trip, but I will avoid taking Valium, and I’m going to message my mother not to send the medication to me.

The slipperiness started when summer did, and it’s been difficult struggling with negative thoughts and thoughts about giving up for the last couple of months, although not specifically giving up in terms of drinking.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts about this, and I am reminded of taking care and consideration with each decision moving forward.

But this is why I post honestly here, because the last thing I want for my family or my life is to “suddenly” find myself face down in a drunk. Because as we all know it isn’t sudden, it builds.

Thanks for being here.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I agree with all your points on Valium here, but especially this.

I fear it would “wake things up.”

My mother is flying to the east coast today. She is anxious, and she mentioned she had Valium. Then without prompting she said she’d send me two tablets.

Then I got too interested in that, the idea of feeling peace on that flight, and then the drinking thoughts started.

If just the mention of Valium gets me considering drinking again, actually taking it is likely dangerous to my sobriety.
To thine own self be true.

It doesn't matter what other's "think" about taking it in so-called sobriety. It sounds like you already know your own truth.

I can and can't do all sorts of things friends, relatives and other ppl here on SR can and can't do - and it doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else.

What ends up causing trouble in my recovery is when I think I can get away with something I know darn well I can't...... but I see others doing it so I convince myself my reality isn't real but instead what's true for someone else is actually true for me. That level of delusion always ends poorly for me.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know some people in recovery take benzos as prescribed and I respect that.. I just could never be one of those people. If I have the free time and the supply, I will take enough to black out and stay that way as long as possible, and subsequently I may or may not fall back into old drinking behaviors ("drunk" texting, smoking again, you name it). I know from my experience taking xanax later on in sobriety, which I can honestly say I didn't even enjoy. It didn't lead me back to drinking, but just a thorough waste of time and my anxiety afterwards was ten times worse.

I guess my only thought against you taking one for the plane ride is that it could be a slippery slope.. Reading further down it seems like you've worked it out.

I thought I was strong enough for Italy and I gotta say there were some iffy moments.. but I made it. You just have to pull out all the tricks you've learned and remind yourself that the temptation is your AV, looking to take advantage of the beauty of where you'll be staying and the demolition of all your familiar routines and surroundings.

Which island are you going to? I've only been to Oahu and Kauai.. Haven't been back sober but would love to have the opportunity to do some of the sober activities I never got around to (certain hikes, snorkeling, etc.). I hope you have an amazing time
Old 07-24-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really admire the way you bought it here and opened it for discussion, knowing full well the responses you'd get Sassy.

Thats the kind of courage and commitment that keeps us sober

D
Old 07-24-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Sass,

I think too that it's great you brought this here to talk about. It's not easy "outing" yourself, especially when you're not really quite cognizant that the beast is doing it's dastardly sneaky conniving back-stabbing thing.

Agree with others, too. Go to the doctor and be honest, then work it out from there. Anxiety won't kill you; drinking again could.

Last thing, I noticed that your language was uncharacteristically waffley when writing that you will "avoid taking Valium." That looks like an open back door to me.

You can absolutely do this trip 100% sober. We all know how stubborn you can be - put it to good use here, starting with changing your narrative about anticipating the trip. From what I've seen, firmly stating your intentions come hell or high water has worked tremendously well for you. Do it, girl!