Notices

very bad day

Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
You were very gracious in not asking for this guy to be fired and in letting him off the hook lightly with his boss.

Perhaps this young man will learn from your magnanimity.

Forgiveness is quite a virtue.
Maybe...but I got a call from one of my buds that works there and the owner and the arrogant s#it heap got into a pretty heated disagreement this morning. He got suspended again.

I'm betting he doesn't last another 2-3 weeks.

Like i said, you can't fix stupid. Some people gotta learn the hard way.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good time to move on and not stay embroiled in what seems to be this guy's need to cause himself drama and probably un-fun consequences. Another good axiom is you don't have attend every fight you're invited to - and being sober, I'd extend that to me we can take a break (temporary or permanent) from anything dangerous to our sobriety, literally, emotionally, mentally - whatever is best for us.

Take care of yourself- sounds like you have a good therapist 1 and hopefully 2 will be useful as well!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Sounds like a good time to move on and not stay embroiled in what seems to be this guy's need to cause himself drama and probably un-fun consequences. Another good axiom is you don't have attend every fight you're invited to - and being sober, I'd extend that to me we can take a break (temporary or permanent) from anything dangerous to our sobriety, literally, emotionally, mentally - whatever is best for us.

Take care of yourself- sounds like you have a good therapist 1 and hopefully 2 will be useful as well!

I like this one ^^

Walking away from a "fight" has always been tough for me, ESPECIALLY when it's one in which I think I have the moral high-ground and ESPECIALLY when it's one I'm convinced I can win. My false ego and false pride want "IN" so badly it's hard to walk away.

I find plenty more than I can handle just trying to keep myself on the pathway of life I've chosen and I've been able to scale back in my former crusades to make everything around me look and work the way I want it to. Sticking to my own business, ie performing the role in life I'm supposed to be performing, is usually the best call for me to follow.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sometimes being an adult is making decisions that you don't want to make for your own sake.

I'm learning that.

If i played that tape all the way through the way i was about to react, i'd be in jail right now. As it is, he kinda dug his own grave through his own stupidity.

that's way better. LOL

"Sometimes the best revenge is a life well lived."

Man....that's weird. I'm growing up. Almost 50 and I'm actually making some really good decisions.

ok...i really need to go to bed. it's 3:30 am.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Haha. I feel this way, like in some ways I am growing up now. At almost 50.

That said, I don’t think that’s necessarily restricted to folks in recovery. Midlife turns us upside down, shakes us up, and allows us to watch everything settle in a new direction for the last part of our lives. What do we keep? (What do you know, I ended up keeping the husband!), what do we discard? What finally needs to change? How do we want to be, in our later years?

There’s an element of not wanting to linger with the shameful part of myself. I had an image of myself as a sage, healthy, comforting, nurturing yet vibrant and happy elder. This midlife persona that binged on alcohol and sank into addictions only to humiliate herself on the reg was really not ok with me.

Maybe this is part of the settling after your shakeup....
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Like i said, you can't fix stupid. Some people gotta learn the hard way.
Pretty much describes my active alcoholism days. :~)
Luckily recovery is slowly working on my stupid.
It ain't a quick process, but it is happening.
I still have my moments, but my stupid doesn't quite sink to previous it's previous lows, so that is progress.
I am so grateful for progress and for knowing that progress is progressive. :~)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post

Why?

I had what may be a similar episode. For quite some time. Years. I've been letting go of my anger and developing tolerance. Then one day a transit guard was impolite to me and I lost it in a moment in a way I can't remember doing before. I replied furious. Came to my senses and just breathed into the anger which quickly subsided and in 20 minutes it was a memory, whereas before I would probably still be boiling whenever I recall the event. I'm more inclined now to find the guy and be friendly. Forgive him. Everybody's a jerk for a reason. Even me. My philosophy now is, when I remember, to not pour petrol on a fire in a hope it will go out.

Why.? For me I think I've just relaxed into being happy but the underlying tendency to pride is still there, unfettered, so now a slow burn is a quickly passing flash.