Notices

illness & cravings

Old 09-13-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JPA

illness & cravings

I’ve wanted to quit for sometime but in truth my main issue is the intense cravings I feel every time I get 24+ hours into withdrawal. I can’t thibk of anything wise, and sleep is literally impossible.

Min this occasion, an attempt at quitting has coincided with being ill. It started with a stomach bug, but having shaken that off a week ago and now feeling the effects of a mild flu I’ve barely felt the need for a drink (even when confronted with an offer in a completely normal social situation).

My fear is that once I’m over this illness that I’ll be back to my old ways. So my question is this: if my lack of cravings is in relation to a chemical response to being ill, why can’t we bottle it in the pursuit of recovery?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JPA

I've probably given this to you before but I'll do so again:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

I'll think that most people could make use of the tips there to deal with cravings.

It will still be uncomfortable, mind - theres no way around that - but it is possible to get through and in time it's easier and easier to deal with them.

But if you've tried the tips and you find cravings are still unbearable for you have you considered inpatient treatment?

D
Old 09-14-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPA View Post
I’ve wanted to quit for sometime but in truth my main issue is the intense cravings I feel every time I get 24+ hours into withdrawal. I can’t thibk of anything wise, and sleep is literally impossible.

Min this occasion, an attempt at quitting has coincided with being ill. It started with a stomach bug, but having shaken that off a week ago and now feeling the effects of a mild flu I’ve barely felt the need for a drink (even when confronted with an offer in a completely normal social situation).

My fear is that once I’m over this illness that I’ll be back to my old ways. So my question is this: if my lack of cravings is in relation to a chemical response to being ill, why can’t we bottle it in the pursuit of recovery?
Are you doing any meetings/121 therapy? I hate having anxiety in general, but with regards to it being a cause of me stopping it has actually been a blessing in disguise. If I wasn't having panic attacks that were getting worse and worse, I would have probably carried on with the drink.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I think this is where meditation comes in. It's like a bridge from the 'comfortable because its known' to the unknown that beckons with a freedom. I can choose to sit in a safe place and explore the unknown inside. Just being in the present moment as it is. Watching the storm of wanting, coming, washing over me, and eventually passing away.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Having a comparably long stint (for you) away from alcohol will surely help decrease the intensity of future cravings. From what I hear, they fade to next to nothing over time because the brain stops expecting the booze. Count the illness as a blessing in disguise to get you past the initial pain.