Notices

Cold Turkey

Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 4 is pretty early. I'd consider it entirely within the bounds of 'normal' to be anxious and not feel too great.

sometimes I got better after day 4 or 5 and sometimes it took a week, or longer

I recommend making a plan - thinking that you'll never want to drink again is understandable feeling how you do now... but I think it's unrealistic not to expect a few wobbles on the way once you feel better.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Day 4 is pretty early. I'd consider it entirely within the bounds of 'normal' to be anxious and not feel too great.

sometimes I got better after day 4 or 5 and sometimes it took a week, or longer

I recommend making a plan - thinking that you'll never want to drink again is understandable feeling how you do now... but I think it's unrealistic not to expect a few wobbles on the way once you feel better.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Thank you so much Dee, that it is normal has made me happier, I keep thinking I have some sort of disease making me so anxious as yesterday I felt better but today, an anxious wreck, I thought it could only get better.

But yeah I do understand it is only early at the moment it’s just horrible the anxiety
Old 06-20-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon

D
Old 06-20-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Ban - chiming in here....completely agree with Dee that this is super early. Every day is critical but we simply have to set our expectations that it takes time. we want to be better now but for those of us like you and me, who got really far along the path, we did so much damage that it just doesn't heal in a few days.

I know time feels like torture and our minds torture us as much or likely more than our bodies, even.

Y'all hear me say that days or weeks or even months are early. The healing process is different for all and plenty of folks can exercise or sleep ok or such much more quickly (a week, a couple, a month) than I did. BUT. That's not the goal- the goal is staying sober every day, then the priority is acting on some specific kind of plan to stay that way literally then start recovering.

This isn't a simple thing, Ban - you CAN get thru this - you 'just' need to put one step in front of the other today.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I hope you're feeling a bit better today Ban, with each passing day you will feel a little stronger. Take good care of yourself, drink lots of water to re-hydrate, eat as healthily as you can, even if it's only tiny amounts, try and go for a walk , it really does help with the anxiety and keep yourself as busy as possible, keep your mind occupied. Just basically listen to what your body is trying to tell you. Stick close to S.R and post as often as you can, especially if you feel the need to drink. It will get better and you can do it, just take it one day at a time, one minute at a time if need be. The good thing is that you don't have to feel this way again.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Hey Ban - chiming in here....completely agree with Dee that this is super early. Every day is critical but we simply have to set our expectations that it takes time. we want to be better now but for those of us like you and me, who got really far along the path, we did so much damage that it just doesn't heal in a few days.

I know time feels like torture and our minds torture us as much or likely more than our bodies, even.

Y'all hear me say that days or weeks or even months are early. The healing process is different for all and plenty of folks can exercise or sleep ok or such much more quickly (a week, a couple, a month) than I did. BUT. That's not the goal- the goal is staying sober every day, then the priority is acting on some specific kind of plan to stay that way literally then start recovering.

This isn't a simple thing, Ban - you CAN get thru this - you 'just' need to put one step in front of the other today.
Thank You August once again, can I just ask like, did you for example on day 3 feel good and thought it was over and then on day 4/5 feel like it was just beginning again? I mean like I have these clarity moments where I feel good and then back to square one.

I just thought with withdrawal that you can only get better and not go from feeling calm to a full blown anxiety attack and then calm the next day etc.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

To answer your question flat out: no. I went thru extreme everything. Sure, I didn't have leg cramps or seizures every day, or feel like I was crawling out of my skin all day every day, I did have drenching nightmares for weeks, a month or two in I had about a week of not being able to anticipate peeing, spatial distortion and aphasia took time to resolve (couple months)....

I never want to "scare" people but the reality of my healing was harsh. The repeated questions about what others go thru are, IMO, only marginally helpful to you if they assure you that whatever bad you are feeling this early is normal - and I'd add that whatever your medical situation/bills/coverage etc (I am NOT starting yet another debate or rants about health care, PLEASE y'all!) getting medical support, tests, everything is really important.

It's not what we want to hear but healing takes whatever time it takes. Sure, I was physically sober after 2-3 days. Yes, it took that long based on my obscene consumption. Then, the PAWS began and my healing got better, dipped, some days were physically or emotionally or mentally hard and i experienced the proverbial roller coaster for at least 100 days when I remember the first marked shift forward in all ways. I still had healing to do thru my first 2 years- even as it got better and better on the whole.

It seems overwhelming if we let it. I get it. We get it. I just have to say again that the only solution to this is not to drink, at all, every day. And add the good habits like hydration (or, eating 2x, which was one of my very early to dos!), naps, distraction etc - but we have to let the healing happen.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
To answer your question flat out: no. I went thru extreme everything. Sure, I didn't have leg cramps or seizures every day, or feel like I was crawling out of my skin all day every day, I did have drenching nightmares for weeks, a month or two in I had about a week of not being able to anticipate peeing, spatial distortion and aphasia took time to resolve (couple months)....

I never want to "scare" people but the reality of my healing was harsh. The repeated questions about what others go thru are, IMO, only marginally helpful to you if they assure you that whatever bad you are feeling this early is normal - and I'd add that whatever your medical situation/bills/coverage etc (I am NOT starting yet another debate or rants about health care, PLEASE y'all!) getting medical support, tests, everything is really important.

It's not what we want to hear but healing takes whatever time it takes. Sure, I was physically sober after 2-3 days. Yes, it took that long based on my obscene consumption. Then, the PAWS began and my healing got better, dipped, some days were physically or emotionally or mentally hard and i experienced the proverbial roller coaster for at least 100 days when I remember the first marked shift forward in all ways. I still had healing to do thru my first 2 years- even as it got better and better on the whole.

It seems overwhelming if we let it. I get it. We get it. I just have to say again that the only solution to this is not to drink, at all, every day. And add the good habits like hydration (or, eating 2x, which was one of my very early to dos!), naps, distraction etc - but we have to let the healing happen.
Okey so you had good days and terrible days? Sorry for all these annoying questions I am a nightmare.

I definitely don’t feel tortured with the anxiety like I did back on Monday that’s for sure, I seem to forget how bad I was then and don’t compare it to now, but for some strange reason yesterday felt better than today :/

I‘m not too bad, there is something about the mornings and also evenings, still could not sleep last night so maybe I am exhausted physically as well that’s not helping.

I’ll keep going and I think my head is playing tricks on me a lot of the time, obsessing over feelings in my
body 24/7, I feel I need a massive long sleep, we will see if I get that tonight :/
Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I can only echo what others have said, have faith that it will get better. And it will. Really.

But what you absolutely KNOW is that drinking will make you do it all over again, and it will be worse. And it will be worse. Really.

For me, the fact that I knew that a drink would resart the clock made it not matter so much what would happen next while not drinking less important, because not drinking was my only option.

I had made that choice, so wondering what was coming was pointless, it was going to be what it was going to be.

I have had the kind of anxiety you describe in just the same way but not when I quit drinking. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I remember wishing I had cancer because that I would know how to fight. Awful.

But I got better. You will get better. It will. Have faith. Dont drink.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Ban Alcohol, sounds like you're in my body. I quit on Monday and each day I feel a little better (and I mean a little). I'll have a good 10 minutes and then do downhill and just sit and stare at the screen. I'm over analyzing every step I take for balance and every pain in my abdomen that could be something devastating health wise.

I also suffer from health anxiety which makes it even worse for me. I'm just trusting that day 5 will be a little better for me.

I've read this saying and it makes sense (I maybe a little off). When you take 5 years walking into the woods you're not going to get back out in a day.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Ban, I don't think I can explain or "answer" your questions any better than I have tried. Occupying my mind and crazy thoughts SOMEHOW was one of the only things that helped. Some.

I can't say this enough - you have to stay sober or this will start again and I'd bet you a ton of money it will be worse.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'd suggest getting out of your head.

My own thoughts were not really the safest place for me to dwell in early days.

It took me many months to feel normal-ish. I had extreme emotions in every direction for weeks after quitting.

It. Takes. Time.

As long as it takes. I'm like Dropsie in that I knew a drink would not fix it and I knew I wasn't going to do that - so I just had to ride it out and like August says, stay busy.

Clean out a closet or the whole house.

Take a walk outdoors.

Volunteer at the animal shelter.

Watch a comedy.

Do not Google withdrawal symptoms. Instead Google ways to help with anxiety.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Once you get thru the acute physical withdrawal you'll start to feel better. That's usually several days. I started feeling better on day five. And if you never drink again, you'll never have to feel this awful again.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Panic attack since I woke up and still not gone I feel terrible crying my eyes out, was fine yesterday.

Day 5
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, go to an AA meeting.

It will get you "out of your head" and you can focus on something else. And you can find friendship and nice people and have some laughs.

Depression and anxiety hit us the hardest if we are home alone. Join us at the June class thread. The sooner you quit and stay quit......the sooner you will find relief from your depression and anxiety.

Alcohol is a depressant. That roller coaster of emotions is just your addictive voice trying to make you suffer enough so that you go out and take that first drink. Dont fall for this scam.

That addictive voice is like a Carnival barker, trying to con us. The mental attacks will be strongest in the first 15 days. Weather the storm and the negativity will eventually be exhausted.

Im on day 6. On day 3 i felt like committing suicide. But I got thru it and feel much better now. You can do this. But i would suggest to go to AA or NA meetings and you can make some friends and you are going to feel much better. If you isolate you are just going to be attacked by the negative self-talk and it will hammer you into submission until you finally DRINK. So now you can see that it is high-risk to spend too much time alone
Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purina View Post
I agree with the others, go to an AA meeting.

It will get you "out of your head" and you can focus on something else. And you can find friendship and nice people and have some laughs.

Depression and anxiety hit us the hardest if we are home alone. Join us at the June class thread. The sooner you quit and stay quit......the sooner you will find relief from your depression and anxiety.

Alcohol is a depressant. That roller coaster of emotions is just your addictive voice trying to make you suffer enough so that you go out and take that first drink. Dont fall for this scam.

That addictive voice is like a Carnival barker, trying to con us. The mental attacks will be strongest in the first 15 days. Weather the storm and the negativity will eventually be exhausted.

Im on day 6. On day 3 i felt like committing suicide. But I got thru it and feel much better now. You can do this. But i would suggest to go to AA or NA meetings and you can make some friends and you are going to feel much better. If you isolate you are just going to be attacked by the negative self-talk and it will hammer you into submission until you finally DRINK. So now you can see that it is high-risk to spend too much time alone
Thank you for your reply, I just don't know why yesterday I felt ok and today is very bad
Old 06-21-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BanAlcohol View Post

Thank you for your reply, I just don't know why yesterday I felt ok and today is very bad
Are you ruminating? If I let a thought take hold that is negative, I can spiral pretty quickly. One negative thought in early sobriety could ruin an entire day because I'd dwell on it and it would cause physical symptoms. It could be something as simple as, "Why am I anxious?" which would cause me to be anxious if I kept thinking about it. Distraction is your friend.

Clean out a drawer. Fold some clothes. Sweep the floor. Wax on wax off. EAT!! Breathe:

Navy Seal box breathing:

https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/
Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Are you ruminating? If I let a thought take hold that is negative, I can spiral pretty quickly. One negative thought in early sobriety could ruin an entire day because I'd dwell on it and it would cause physical symptoms. It could be something as simple as, "Why am I anxious?" which would cause me to be anxious if I kept thinking about it. Distraction is your friend.

Clean out a drawer. Fold some clothes. Sweep the floor. Wax on wax off. EAT!! Breathe:

Navy Seal box breathing:

https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/
Pretty much 24/7 I am asking why am I anxious, the attacks seem to happen for no reason, I feel completely wiped off energy. My body does feel physically healthier but I am in a constant state of panic today, yesterday I felt fine except for the morning , I'm just worried why I am having anxiety literately for no reason at all.

Getting so sick of it now, there is nothing doctors can do I have told them everything, I'm even having these terrifying feelings like I can't feel my hands but I can feel them, same with my legs etc, but if I pinch/squeeze them I feel them, it's just terrifying.

Sorry to everyone I am just so sick of it
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Maybe sleep is adding to it all I really don't know anymore, do you notice when you haven't slept enough you feel weird or anything?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

But you have to break this thought-cycle. Yes, early sobriety sucks. A lot of it is physical, (nervous system) but a lot of it is also reaction.

Find a way to move your body so you get out of your head. Dwelling on it isn't helping.

Can you go to an AA meeting? I'd say get off the chair you're sitting in and do fifty jumping jacks, bleed off some of that excess anxious energy.