# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Georgia

I think you have to look after bubs best interests. Tell your OB

D
Old 10-31-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I’ve had three healthy babies. They are now 22, 21, and 13; they are beautiful and intelligent young women.

I binge drank almost daily until I found out I was pregnant with all three of them. I quit for the duration of my pregnancies.

If you have quit now there is likely nothing to worry about, and trust me: your OB has heard this many times before.
Can I ask how much you drank? I was drinking a lot of wine. Multiple glasses. I’m so scared. I’m going to get my blood drawn tomorrow. I was going to at my 8 week appointment, but it was really backed up and I thought I would feel better waiting, but I’m more anxious.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I did exactly the same thing, no impact on my amazing 15 and 26 year old daughters. Do not worry, and do not drink, and you will have a beautiful healthy child, and s/he will have a terrific mother.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GeorgiaMarie85 View Post

Can I ask how much you drank? I was drinking a lot of wine. Multiple glasses. I’m so scared. I’m going to get my blood drawn tomorrow. I was going to at my 8 week appointment, but it was really backed up and I thought I would feel better waiting, but I’m more anxious.
Right before my first child I was drinking a great deal, I’d just met my husband (I’d only known him 4 months when I got pregnant). He was in a band and we would go out every night, I was 25 and drinking some nights about a 12 pack of light beer or 8-10 craft beers (ipa, athough ales were more popular then) or maybe 1/2 handle of scotch or whiskey, right before I found out actually I had finished a half handle of bush mills. My tolerance has always been very high. Before the second child it was a bit less, maybe 5-6 beers most days of the week and before the third I was trying to get pregnant so taking more days off, but when I did drink I’d still finish more than a six pack or 1-2 bottles of wine.

My oldest, who was incubating a few weeks when I was drinking the most, actually has the highest IQ of all my kids, she has aspergers, but it’s high functioning and she is now an electrical engineer. I actually feel as though the aspergers might be connected to the Prozac I was taking before I knew I was pregnant.

I never worried much about my drinking prior to knowing I was pregnant, I was very attuned to my cycles which have always been regular and I’ve always known right away when I’ve been knocked up and quit immediately. despite the lack of family planning, I wanted to be a mom all my life, so I easily quit when pregnant, I couldn’t ever drink just one so the only safe amount for me as a pregnant woman was zero.

Talk to your OB for goodness sake, tons of women drink before they know....the real judgement and concern is if you drink AFTER you know, you’ve quit. So let it go and enjoy your pregnancy.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I did exactly the same thing, no impact on my amazing 15 and 26 year old daughters. Do not worry, and do not drink, and you will have a beautiful healthy child, and s/he will have a terrific mother.
Thank you for your reply. I’m talking, most nights and sometimes the bottle. For months before I got pregnant. I made the mistake of googling things and was reading that alcohol decreases folic acid which can lead to neural tube defects and spina bifida and got myself all worked up.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Recently relapsed

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your struggle, I've been 3 months sober, we have come from different paths, I was diagnosed with aspergers when I was 8 I always found it difficult to form close relationships with people I would always want to fit in and feel close to people but no matter how much I tried because of the aspergers it always made it difficult and then when I got into college I discovered alcohol and it seemed at the time to cure me of all my social anxiety, I was finally able to fit in, get a girlfriend, little did I know that was my start of a 10 year addiction to alcohol, without it I would be so quiet and alone with all my thoughts, fast forward 10 years and I'm back to drinking 15 - 20 units daily, don't beat yourself up about this addiction, it's difficult and you managed so long without it, I don't have any children and I would find that it I had children my addiction would be worse, you have pressures of having to look after your family, we all have problems in this life and the important thing is that you listen to that voice in your head that says I want to recover and be a better person in the future, the alcoholic demon will come in and convince you otherwise but just know your not alone in this, it can be such a lonely place to wake up with anxiety, the depression, the regret, the guilt, to feel alone with it but your not weak willed, we need each other in this
Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you meant this as a reply to someone else's thread, but welcome aboard Connected - this is a place of great support and understanding.

I started using alcohol as a tool for anxiety and stress too but over time it actually made those things worse.

3 months is great
I'm glad you found us

D
Old 11-11-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be sober without the support of other alcoholic in AA so I recommend it. You just don't drink today, and the days add up. A big hug.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Past failures at staying dry are in any alkie's history. While they FEEL really bad at the time, I found this behavior (try to stop, find out the hard way I can't, hate myself for not being able to do what I thought I should be able to do..... repeat) to be, looking back at it, pretty darn selfish. Do I hate myself for not being able to jump 6 feet in the air? Does my self loathing kick in when I think about how I can't run 20miles per hour? Do I feel "less than" every time I realize I'm not the most important person on the entire planet? No..... because those expectations would be unreasonable. ......my problem was I didn't really KNOW I was an alcoholic and I didn't KNOW that the inability to stay stopped was part of the diagnosis.

What we've done in our past - including the failures in even our recent past - don't mean much of anything really IF we are taking actions now to prevent them from happening again. Nobody's going to fault you today for your past if you're healthy today.......growing today.......getting better today. What matters isn't what we did or how bad we feel about it but only what we're doing about it today.