Notices

I’m back. Again.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The way I like to reward myself is by taking my little dog for an extra walk, or giving her a biscuit. Her pleasure is all the reward I need.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
The way I like to reward myself is by taking my little dog for an extra walk, or giving her a biscuit. Her pleasure is all the reward I need.
Interesting you should say this. I’m debating getting a dog. I’ve never had one and always really wanted one. Unfortunately, while I was drinking, he would’ve gotten in my way of sitting on the couch and drinking and zoning out. But, no longer. For some reason, it sort of scares me, though. The responsibility.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hang in there sohard you are doing fine.
For me acceptance was the key as well as praying to my higher power. I just had to get to the point of realizing that alcohol was stronger than me. It was pointless to keep fighting. I was beat. Done. Lights out. I still have the occasional urge but I quickly remind myself that I will not win the battle of alcoholism. It's simple logic.
If I jump off a 10 story building I'm going straight down. No other outcome. So I stay away from the edge. Pointless. So that gives life a chance to move on. There is no more wondering for me. I know the outcome.
I hope this helps.
Acceptance Sohard. You have to embrace it to move on.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post

Interesting you should say this. I’m debating getting a dog. I’ve never had one and always really wanted one. Unfortunately, while I was drinking, he would’ve gotten in my way of sitting on the couch and drinking and zoning out. But, no longer. For some reason, it sort of scares me, though. The responsibility.
In sobriety, I was adopted by a tiny, elderly dog. She is so amazing! Completely sweet tiny little lap dog, you can take her anywhere. It was perfect for me because I wanted a lower commitment dog: you know, no yard digging, couch chewing, excessive barking, high energy lots of dog hair etc. this dog is the easiest pet I have ever owned, she could not be more perfect. She is chihuahua according to the vet, but I think she has some toy rat terrier in her too. I have a part time job though so I don’t have to leave her alone much, you have to consider that when you get a pet.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Damn it. I felt so strong. I went out to brunch with my mom and sister today and bumped into an old dear friend of my dad’s, who passed away about four years ago. This was after having been sick and in pain for about a decade. I just got so, so desperately sad. That my dad had to be sick for a so long. And that here, five years later, his friend is still out and about enjoying life. That was 15 years he had more than my dad. That just made me want to say, screw it. It’s dark and rainy and I’ve nothing else to do. Why not drink some wine and restart tomorrow. I know that’s crazy. I really do. I’ve just been so sad about him all day. I’m up staying with my mom for the weekend where he used to be. I guess that’s why I’m thinking so much about him. And I’m so damn angry at myself. We had the closest relationship for 40 years. Anyone would tell you that. I was closer to him than any of my siblings, probably even closer to him than my mom. We were just like two peas in a pod who saw the world the same way. And about two weeks bf he passed away, I lashed out at him this bizarrely cruel comment about how I didn’t think he was being a very good grandfather. It was cruel and heartless and completely unlike me. I don’t know what the hell it was about. My psychiatrist thinks I was trying to cut things off emotionally because his death was going to be so incredibly painful for me. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. But he looked so, so surprised and hurt. And I said I’m sorry right after and took it back but I’ll never forgive myself for that moment. I just makes me want to drink even more. swear I think about my comment to him at least every day once. It wasn’t true at all. I didn’t think he was a bad grandfather at all. He was the best. I just feel horrible. I don’t know why I said that and I’ll never forgive myself.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So you did not drink over this, right?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

To confirm, I haven’t drank. I don’t think I will drink. I just want to.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
So you did not drink over this, right?
l
No, but at times like this it feels like why not.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Not worth it. Don't. That's the disease trying to kill you. Trust me on this. You handle your emotions better with a clear head. You know this.
Good job. Stay dry. One day at a time.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sohard - Drinking will only add to the bad feelings - you don't need another thing to regret. Please be kind to yourself - & as wayne said, keep a clear head to deal with things.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sohard, I feel for you regarding your father. I lost mine and he was the only one in the family I loved. So, so happy you didn't drink over this. Sometimes anxiety or sadness, even feeling lonely can be a trigger.
You are doing so well. Glad you're back and you are not being foolish regarding the responsibility of owning a pet. It can be the best experience of your life, but it's for life. So make sure you are very committed to owning a pet. You may just love it, but that's why we have so many animals in shelters. Some people can't deal with or even afford their animals. ♥♥♥
Keep on doing so well. I feel so happy for you in that you have stayed sober. Huge accomplishment. ♥♥♥
Old 05-26-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't drink. It will only make things worse and will make you feel terrible.

Yes, a dog is a lot of responsibility but their devotion makes it worth the effort. My Billie is so loving and I am glad I'm sober to take good care of her.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Damn it. I felt so strong. I went out to brunch with my mom and sister today and bumped into an old dear friend of my dad’s, who passed away about four years ago. This was after having been sick and in pain for about a decade. I just got so, so desperately sad. That my dad had to be sick for a so long. And that here, five years later, his friend is still out and about enjoying life. That was 15 years he had more than my dad. That just made me want to say, screw it. It’s dark and rainy and I’ve nothing else to do. Why not drink some wine and restart tomorrow. I know that’s crazy. I really do. I’ve just been so sad about him all day. I’m up staying with my mom for the weekend where he used to be. I guess that’s why I’m thinking so much about him. And I’m so damn angry at myself. We had the closest relationship for 40 years. Anyone would tell you that. I was closer to him than any of my siblings, probably even closer to him than my mom. We were just like two peas in a pod who saw the world the same way. And about two weeks bf he passed away, I lashed out at him this bizarrely cruel comment about how I didn’t think he was being a very good grandfather. It was cruel and heartless and completely unlike me. I don’t know what the hell it was about. My psychiatrist thinks I was trying to cut things off emotionally because his death was going to be so incredibly painful for me. I don’t know what the hell I was thinking. But he looked so, so surprised and hurt. And I said I’m sorry right after and took it back but I’ll never forgive myself for that moment. I just makes me want to drink even more. swear I think about my comment to him at least every day once. It wasn’t true at all. I didn’t think he was a bad grandfather at all. He was the best. I just feel horrible. I don’t know why I said that and I’ll never forgive myself.
I lost my dad in January. It was terribly painful. I had a plan to take care of him, but death came for him before I could live my plan. It was really more of a life dream. To take him in, in his final month or two.

The death of my dad was the death of my relationship with him, of an era gone by, of the comfort of knowing he’d be there for me, always knowing what to say, of the sense of protection and security he always gave me. It felt like the ground had suddenly given way beneath me. It has changed me physically and spiritually. I’m no longer who I was, I am altered, damaged somehow. There’s a big scar. My necessary sobriety tore me up and put me back together and then my father’s death the next year ripped me in half again and I wondered how many times I can be torn before I just can’t be put back together.

It had been awhile since my last drink when dad died, so I didn’t consider it as an option, as I hadn’t considered it as an option from the beginning of the first day with no drinking. But, I said openly to those around me who know I worked to get sober, I can see why people drink in grief.

Yet, I can see why they don’t, too. The task of grief is huge. It’s a big, terrible, monumental task. There’s a dark tunnel we have to pass through. We can’t numb through it or all the complicated stuff never finds resolution. Such as, our deepest regrets around the time of the death. Those regrets need closure, they must be put to bed somehow, but they can’t if we drink them away every time they come up.

You’re still in your grief tunnel, and there is more to do in there. I’m sorry about that. God, I know how dark the tunnel is.

Remember the whole. The whole of your life with him. The delight he felt with your sweet goofiness as a young girl. His big smile when you would hang out with him, just you and him against the world because no one could get how much you understood each other. His life, and the beauty of what you shared with him, is a whole, it is not just the part at the end.

I’m glad you had a dad like mine....

Such lucky daughters we were!!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sohard, please don't drink, you'll be so disappointed in yourself if you do. We all say things we don't mean in time of stress and your dad will have known that. Do something that would make him proud...stay sober. You can do it. xx
Old 05-26-2019, 04:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you were sad sohard.
I think all of us have said things we regret - I'm sure your Dad knew the true you and the true way you felt.

I feel sure he'd be proud of you fighting so hard now

D
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody. Your words yesterday made a big difference to me. I’m so grateful.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going sohard

D
Old 05-28-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It is so hard. I got in huge disagreement with my twin sister today. It is too complicated and pointless to go into. She said some things, I said some things, and it just spiraled. I just want to drink so badly and restart tomorrow. I’m getting my hair cut at a hotel salon, It’s so damn tempting to go to the bar after. I’m not sure how people calm down when they’re all wound up without drinking.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It will pass, dear Sohard. Just let some time go by and please don't stop at the bar. I too have a sister that I have problems with and it can really tie you up. I so feel for you. Please let some time pass and maybe take a walk to help you get rid of the stress. Best to you, Aly ♥♥♥
Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't drink. It will only make things worse and will make you feel horrible.