Notices

Still drinking - Don't know what to do

Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I do play drums.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
nez

I am glad I was able to be of some help to you while I am the one in need.
For me that is the real beauty of recovery and what it is all about, people helping people. I know it sounds corny and trite but I am not going to lose sleep over repeating it anyway "For it is in giving that we receive."
Old 06-18-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
For me that is the real beauty of recovery and what it is all about, people helping people. I know it sounds corny and trite but I am not going to lose sleep over repeating it anyway "For it is in giving that we receive."
Makes a world of sense to me.... :-)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
I do play drums.
And keep playing. If we lived near each other I would get together. It is something I miss dearly!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

AA or NA is not so bad. Just take what you like and leave the rest.

I dont agree with the entire program but in my case i decided that I may as well go to the meetings at least to get 30 days under my belt and then after that i can re-evaluate and see if I am finding benefit.

At least the people preach a message of 100% abstinence and that is what is important. But try different meetings and try Narcotics Anonymous also.

I actually prefer NA for where I live in Florida. I found the people at the NA to be more warm and friendly. The people's shares where also more raw and uncensored and seemed very sincere to me. Alot of profanity =)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

“HOW am I supposed to trust AA to work for me?”
you don’t. you trust that if YOU put the work in, you will get the results. nothing works just by itself.
AA program has many promises in various places, and part of those is “if we work for them”.
sounds like you have experienced a widening of your view from some of the responses here, and that is a great example: it’s not just that others offered something which “works” but that YOU decided to be open to hearing and taking it in.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purina View Post
AA or NA is not so bad. Just take what you like and leave the rest.

I dont agree with the entire program but in my case i decided that I may as well go to the meetings at least to get 30 days under my belt and then after that i can re-evaluate and see if I am finding benefit.

At least the people preach a message of 100% abstinence and that is what is important. But try different meetings and try Narcotics Anonymous also.

I actually prefer NA for where I live in Florida. I found the people at the NA to be more warm and friendly. The people's shares where also more raw and uncensored and seemed very sincere to me. Alot of profanity =)
I am taking pieces of each and every post and formulating a recovery program that WILL work for me. God, meetings, reading, walking, fishing, guitar and most of all....NO ALCOHOL - I applaud ALL of you!

Last edited by Darkcloud; 06-19-2019 at 02:06 AM. Reason: add something
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Did you get in your first day not drinking yet? Just curious. sooner you start the sooner you feel better. And you will feel better. I'm 10 days in and feeling alot better than drinking a fifth of rum a day. Seriously.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Did you get in your first day not drinking yet? Just curious. sooner you start the sooner you feel better. And you will feel better. I'm 10 days in and feeling alot better than drinking a fifth of rum a day. Seriously.
Yes!!! Thanks for asking!
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you darkcloud

D
Old 06-20-2019, 03:16 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good for you darkcloud

D
It was easy - Now I have to remember how good I felt when I got up today and keep going. Friday is a meeting, Sunday Church..... I got this!

Spoke to a friend who was a drinker and also did opioids. He was in bad shape but got into rehab. His Dr. told him he was lucky to have lived, and told him his "next relapse could be his last". That's how I am thinking.
Have a great day!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Glad you have the start of a plan.

If I relapsed, it would indeed be my last, no question. We just don't get infinite chances and never know which relapse could be the final one.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hows it going darkcloud?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hows it going darkcloud?
Still hanging in there SOBER, but having some difficulty trying to learn how to live again. Got out fishing the other day and got bored right away. Same when I play my guitar. It'l all come back to me or maybe it won't. Sobriety is my number one right now and whatever goes with it is icing on the cake! Thanks for asking about me. I don't spend much time on the computer as of late. Have a good day and I hope you are doing OK as well?
Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Still hanging in there SOBER, but having some difficulty trying to learn how to live again. Got out fishing the other day and got bored right away. Same when I play my guitar. It'l all come back to me or maybe it won't. Sobriety is my number one right now and whatever goes with it is icing on the cake! Thanks for asking about me. I don't spend much time on the computer as of late. Have a good day and I hope you are doing OK as well?
The difficulty is normal; the fact that you’re still sober is everything. How many days now, darkcloud?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank for years, and it took years to get as bad as I was when I quit.

so..it took a while for me to re-learn how to live sober too Darkcloud - but it was worth it, in spades

don't be discouraged - sounds like you're doing great

D
Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Still hanging in there SOBER, but having some difficulty trying to learn how to live again.
Where are your drawing your lessons from? There are two main sources IME, the pain of repeating mistakes, and the wisdom and experience of those who went before. My ego kept me on the pain path far too long, but eventually I was beaten into a state of reasonableness, was willing to learn from others, and apply the lessons learnt.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
The difficulty is normal; the fact that you’re still sober is everything. How many days now, darkcloud?
I have been involved in so many things that I didn't count days, but it was somewhere around 6/21/19, so not so many, but I feel I have this conquered. Let's make it an even 10 days and go from there
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Where are your drawing your lessons from? There are two main sources IME, the pain of repeating mistakes, and the wisdom and experience of those who went before. My ego kept me on the pain path far too long, but eventually I was beaten into a state of reasonableness, was willing to learn from others, and apply the lessons learnt.
I took a lot of what was posted here and devised a plan for sobriety first. Now I am working with an old friend of mine, not a drinker, who has taught me the value of replacing alcohol and all my pain that goes with it, with the power of God and prayer. It's gonna take time. Ya can't fix in 10 days what you took 50 years to break.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank for years, and it took years to get as bad as I was when I quit.

so..it took a while for me to re-learn how to live sober too Darkcloud - but it was worth it, in spades

don't be discouraged - sounds like you're doing great

D
I am doing OK Dee. Being clear headed has it downside too. I am seeing ll the mistakes I made that got me in a financial mess and it isn't pretty. Probably can't be fixed either, but that's another project - First things first