Notices

Still drinking - Don't know what to do

Old 05-19-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Congrats on getting started! Remember to eat well, eat regularly, start an exercise routine (this is huge because it helps the brain put back feel good chemicals it forgot how to make), breathe, relax as much as possible, and never choose booze as an option. .
I always eat right but now getting back to walking. Beautiful water to walk past here, the James River. Very relaxing and lots of wildlife..
Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great job, DC.

Loved Sassy's post. Great advice there ...
Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Great job, DC.

Loved Sassy's post. Great advice there ...
Thanks dropsie. It’s really just a bunch of rational recovery regurgitating! But it works for me.

Hope you’re doing well, darkcloud!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
Thanks for that SMART advice. I have lost all the love I once had for many things. My guitar and singing and songwriting, fishing, anything. All I do is exist and get chores done when I can and feed the family. Not easy to just say OK.....Today I'll play guitar and write a song. The feeling is gone. It's all the depression brought on by beer. Maybe all that will come back when I stop. So far I have not touched anything and don't intend to.
Please sing... Scream it all out. Maybe write a song about the suicide and let it go. You have a right to feel pain from witnessing this but you also have a right to a sober ever after. One day at a time. Music is a great healer.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milano58 View Post
Please sing... Scream it all out. Maybe write a song about the suicide and let it go. You have a right to feel pain from witnessing this but you also have a right to a sober ever after. One day at a time. Music is a great healer.
Not doing so good. I'll write more another time.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

We;re always here to help darkcloud.
Don't wait to late to change your life

D
Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We;re always here to help darkcloud.
Don't wait to late to change your life

D
I don't know what to do. I am stuck between beer and Klonopin. I can't take care of this dog my son brought home and he won't find her a home. She's killing me. May not sound like much to you, but can't live in this house with this dog....so I drink...make sense? Maybe not...
Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DC

no, I remember how things would overwhelm me when I was drinking\.

If your son won't find her a home, maybe you should - and then you can focus on your own problems?

D
Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi DC

no, I remember how things would overwhelm me when I was drinking\.

If your son won't find her a home, maybe you should - and then you can focus on your own problems?

D
He just had to put down our Sheltie a month ago and he rescued this dog. I can't do that to him. It'll break his heart. All I can do is explain what it is doing to me and the family and hope he understands. The dog barked for 7 hours straight yesterday while I had my daughter and grandkids here for Fathers day. Nobody wanted to be here. Still no excuse to drink.....I'll start over again today. Just hope it isn't too late. I have pains on both sides. Not a good sign. Pancreas on left. Liver on right :-(
Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree drinking over the dog situation is pointless.
Maybe taking him for a walk a few times a day will give you something to do and make him bark less?

D
Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I agree drinking over the dog situation is pointless.
Maybe taking him for a walk a few times a day will give you something to do and make him bark less?

D
I just don't feel like doing anything anymore. If I go for a walk I want to be alone. I'm a mess Dee
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Darkcloud, you’re stuck in the mindset that your life causes your drinking.

It’s the other way around.

The drinking is causing the misery that is your life.

This thread is full of excuses to drink.

The first intention is sobriety, and doing everything you can to avoid a drink, not finding every excuse you can possibly find to allow you to drink.

Your misery, and the trap you are in, is self made.

There’s not one sober person here who didn’t completely change their lives and relationships to attain sobriety, which not everyone gets. Most of us die drinking. We didn’t want that.

If this isn’t your life goal, then it won’t happen. Sobriety is my total life goal. Otherwise, I won’t be sober.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Darkcloud, you’re stuck in the mindset that your life causes your drinking.

It’s the other way around.

The drinking is causing the misery that is your life.

This thread is full of excuses to drink.

The first intention is sobriety, and doing everything you can to avoid a drink, not finding every excuse you can possibly find to allow you to drink.

Your misery, and the trap you are in, is self made.

There’s not one sober person here who didn’t completely change their lives and relationships to attain sobriety, which not everyone gets. Most of us die drinking. We didn’t want that.

If this isn’t your life goal, then it won’t happen. Sobriety is my total life goal. Otherwise, I won’t be sober.
The funny thing is I know exactly what you are saying. I mentioned it myself that the dog was no reason to drink. I just went down to the river to fish. I used to do that a lot to keep busy and pass time, but today's humidity was just too much. I'll make it. One thing I can't do is change relationships. I have my wife, son and daughter. That's it. I don't go out and have zero friends....
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
The funny thing is I know exactly what you are saying. I mentioned it myself that the dog was no reason to drink. I just went down to the river to fish. I used to do that a lot to keep busy and pass time, but today's humidity was just too much. I'll make it. One thing I can't do is change relationships. I have my wife, son and daughter. That's it. I don't go out and have zero friends....
That's not what she meant.

"Changing your relationships," means changing the dynamics in close relationships, becoming more focused on being that good husband and father instead of the drunk husband and father. Adding more people so those family members aren't our whole lives. Getting some therapy if that's needed.

Letting go of our past traumas and learning to make peace with the world as it is. That leads to better relationships with family, neighbors, the girl in the grocery line. Peace is the goal.

Most of us did change our circle of friends or at least learn to not go to events that were strictly about drinking.

The dog isn't a good reason to drink. If you can't rehome it, I'd say take it to a dog trainer and learn to live in peace with the dog. It's not the dog - the dog's reacting to the energy it is living with. It needs healthy structure, exercise, and kind balanced leadership, and YOU and your family need to provide that. There is no dog that would bark for seven hours in my presence. Heck, it wouldn't bark for seven minutes. It's not the dog.

The dog needs the same stuff we all need.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
That's not what she meant.

"Changing your relationships," means changing the dynamics in close relationships, becoming more focused on being that good husband and father instead of the drunk husband and father. Adding more people so those family members aren't our whole lives. Getting some therapy if that's needed.

Letting go of our past traumas and learning to make peace with the world as it is. That leads to better relationships with family, neighbors, the girl in the grocery line. Peace is the goal.

Most of us did change our circle of friends or at least learn to not go to events that were strictly about drinking.

The dog isn't a good reason to drink. If you can't rehome it, I'd say take it to a dog trainer and learn to live in peace with the dog. It's not the dog - the dog's reacting to the energy it is living with. It needs healthy structure, exercise, and kind balanced leadership, and YOU and your family need to provide that. There is no dog that would bark for seven hours in my presence. Heck, it wouldn't bark for seven minutes. It's not the dog.

The dog needs the same stuff we all need.
OK, I misunderstood but I have to come back strong here. There is no better Father or husband than me anywhere, and nobody in my home wants me to stop drinking, and I don't get drunk. I have become alcohol intolerant. 3 beers and the next day I feel like I drank 3 cases. It's ME who wants to stop so I can feel better, not to be better to my family. As far as the dog? she gets what she needs and then some. I feed her, I get up in the early hours when she whimpers to go pee, but last night she didn't whimper, she just peed in her crate. Living in the woods as we do makes it hard to walk her. She gets many hours of play time with us on the deck with toys. It's just that she hates TV and company. She isn't like this right now with me alone. Oh, we did get a trainer for a while but at 75 an hour it became impossible. It IS the dog.

We don't go to any events. Maybe out to eat once in a blue moon and I get lemon water to drink.

Here's the one thing you say I agree with. The therapy. I have to take out a small home equity loan to go to therapy. I don't qualify for any "sliding scale" and they don't take insurance. It's $45 a visit for group, and $111 an hour for one on one. Thanks for your input. It's appreciated, I am a mess, but I am not a bad Father or husband in any way. I asm well-liked in my community. Just no real friends. I am the treasurer here for our community and also the designated grass cutter for the entire sub-division. I am well- liked at the grocery store as well. I am not what you think I am. I have a problem, agreed, but it isn't changing my home life at all, or any aspect of being around people. Living in the woods like this, well, there are no people.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

“ There is no better Father or husband than me anywhere...” whoa!
really?
i don’t know you, obviously, but just will say anyway that this seems like an extremely unrealistic self-perception.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

A few weeks ago I had a really bad neighbor that was blasting loud rap music and I told myself "i just cant quit drinking until this problem is taken care of". And then one day the music stopped. Im not sure if the guy moved away or just quit playing the loud music. After that I stayed sober like maybe 25 days or so.

But then I bought some stocks and they went down 20%. I drank over that and now its been 15 days of drinking.

The point is that even if your dog stopped barking or if dog left to live with another family....a new problem will just arrive to take its place and to provide another impetus for continued drinking.

In my case i had to really do some psychological "re-arranging" and separate my drinking from the performance of the stock market. Your addictive voice has managed to create a symlink or "association" with the dogs barking = sustained alcohol consumption and now you are stuck in this situation.

But our addictive voice ALWAYS wants to drink so its going to find a way (one way or another) and that is why we drink when we have a problem and also why we drink "in celebration" after overcoming a problem or after some good news. In all cases we are being manipulated by the addictive voice. I call it the devil on my left shoulder.

But basically you are being manipulated by the addictive voice. but if the dog is a behavior problem maybe talk to your son about it and ask him if you can go to the animal shelter and exchange your dog for another one.

But recognize that the bad dog is a completely separate issue from your alcoholism. And that you need to acknowldege that a symlink has been created and you need to consciously sever that symlink.

In my case now that I severed the symlink it no longer matters what happens with the price of my stock, My future drinking is now completely disassociated from the stock. Symlink has been severed.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing changes if nothing changes darkcloud.
Its simply not true that you can't change anything.

D
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stayingsassy View Post

there’s not one sober person here who didn’t completely change their lives and relationships to attain sobriety, which not everyone gets. Most of us die drinking. We didn’t want that.

If this isn’t your life goal, then it won’t happen. Sobriety is my total life goal. Otherwise, i won’t be sober.
that.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
“ There is no better Father or husband than me anywhere...” whoa!
really?
i don’t know you, obviously, but just will say anyway that this seems like an extremely unrealistic self-perception.
Whats wrong with feeling good about myself? I am constantly reminded of how great I raised my kids and even my grandkids and my wife always reminds me of how good I have been to her for 39 years. We endured 3 mis-carriages together before God allowed her to have children. We've been through a lot together as a team and I never let her or anyone else down. I have a drinking issue that doesn't get in our way, but I am working on that.