Notices

Owning a plant as a support tool.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Owning a plant as a support tool.

Is this something struggling alcoholics do? It reminds me of Hot Fuzz, but I think just having a plant in my room to take care of that I have to learn about and water each day would really change my life. I'm not sure if I'm going to have a room after today. Hopefully. What is a good plant that can sort of be like a friend and is hardy enough to move around a bit and travel in a vehicle?

I know it sounds weird, but I think it would be a really good step for me to take. Definitely not at a place in my life where I can take care of an animal responsibly, but I think something small might change the way I think or perceive my habitual surroundings and make me start to feel in control on my life in a small way.

I don't know. The plant would be a direct reflection of my life, I think. If it was all wilted because I left it in the sun, or dehydrated because I didn't take care of it, that would sort of put me in my place and really make me want to be better.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's a nice idea. I've always had houseplants.

Just go pick something you like, and look at the little directions that come with it.

I wouldn't take it personally if you kill a few at first, though. My advice that you didn't ask for: water them only when bone dry then let them dry out again (most houseplants, but not all.) I've lost many a houseplant by over-watering it.

It's not as easy as you might think! I actually think my cat has more predictable needs and she definitely is much more reciprocal in her affections.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

..that would sort of put me in my place and really make me want to be better.
personally i think what would want you to be better is inside yourself.
i wanted to be a better person because i hated who and what i had become. there were no outside influences- it was all internal.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Watch the movie 28 days. If you've ever been in rehab its pretty dead on. And its touching, goofy and entertaining. The whole plant thing comes up.

I kill indoor plants. I just do. So that wouldn't work. Oddly, my yard isn't bad. But indoor...death sentence. And they get dusty so I resent them

I agree with Bimini. My animals stand a much better chance. Dogs need a lot of love. But I have a lot to give. Oh and there's the child. She wants indoor plants...but then I'd have to care for them, they'd die, she'd blame me. Lose lose.

Indoor herbs are nice.....and multi function! Basil starts to wilt, make pesto. Problem solved
Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I wrote about this a little while back. I've never been real good with house plants, but have managed to keep a beautiful arrangement I received four months ago. It does feel like a metaphor, just tending to the thing.

The only plant I've managed to never kill is pothos. If you look for a picture on the internet, you'll definitely recognize it. What's neat about it is that you can start new ones by pinching off leaves and just sticking them in the soil.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try a spider plant! You rarely have to water them, they are hardy and they don't even require spectacular care.

On the flipside, if you tend to it you will be gifted with offshoot plants that you can take off and plant in the same planter or a new one, or just leave it where it is. They look like this:

In the store they might look more like this:

Good luck with your new plant.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great idea!!

I was reading a recovery book and this guy made the analogy that his recovery was like making a jack-o’-lantern for Halloween..

He cut the top off the pumpkin, scooped all the seeds and other crap out and put a candle inside to light up the inside of the pumpkin..

Made a lot of sense to me. Getting clean / sober, removing all the manure and having my Higher Power shine a bright light in my body & soul.

Wishing you the best.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I enjoy gardening a lot myself, so I'd always recommend having a plant or 2 around. Having said that, I think you have some really important decision you need to make about taking care of yourself first - like maybe seeing a doctor?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like Entropy I was reminded of the film "28 Days".... especially the scene when the poor fellow with the dead plant and the skinny dog whimpers "I'll never find love!!!"... you gotta watch. I really think it's an enjoyable film. I'm only a bit over a week sober but this is the second time today I was reminded of that film. Earlier this evening when I looked over at my window sill where I have flowers awaiting outside replanting (too cold where I live to chance it just yet)... I thought "holy cow...look at me actually CARING about plants!" - sobriety rocks!

I think it's an awesome idea Arthox
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arthox View Post
Is this something struggling alcoholics do? It reminds me of Hot Fuzz, but I think just having a plant in my room to take care of that I have to learn about and water each day would really change my life. I'm not sure if I'm going to have a room after today. Hopefully. What is a good plant that can sort of be like a friend and is hardy enough to move around a bit and travel in a vehicle?

I know it sounds weird, but I think it would be a really good step for me to take. Definitely not at a place in my life where I can take care of an animal responsibly, but I think something small might change the way I think or perceive my habitual surroundings and make me start to feel in control on my life in a small way.

I don't know. The plant would be a direct reflection of my life, I think. If it was all wilted because I left it in the sun, or dehydrated because I didn't take care of it, that would sort of put me in my place and really make me want to be better.

It’s not weird at all.

I have a big yard with flowers and veggies, but it’s the couple of plants I put on a sunny landing in my home that I have communed with.

I say this with all seriousness. In my sobriety journey, during my darkest and most difficult times, I had an orchid that would bloom. After my most difficult nights; with tears, anxiety, insomnia and despair, the orchid would suddenly have a new bloom. It was comforting me. I cared for it and bought other plants to be with it on the landing. All the plants have thrived there.

They know me. They know they have brought me immense comfort. Yes I believe this. I am not a spiritual person, but the responsiveness and beauty of plants has gotten me closer to understanding the natural vibrations under all of us living things on earth more than anything else.

Embrace it. Buy a plant.

Make sure your plant is protected with just enough light, (not too much or too little) and just enough water. Enjoy.