Notices

Easyway/Craig Beck Clinics

Old 05-01-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Easyway/Craig Beck Clinics

Has anyone tried these? Books are no good for me, AA is no good for me and this could be my last chance of getting anywhere with this.

I'm struggling to find any independent feedback of these especially Easyway and would appreciate it if anyone has been on either the group or one to one seminars.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I don't know anything about "Easyway" .

But what is 'this' that you are trying to get somewhere with ?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you think it could help, go. What have you got to lose?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you ever participated in an inpatient program? There are a lot of them out there. How about calling them and asking if you could check out the facility directly?

I would say also though that no program or plan will work unless you make sacrifices and change your life in a MAJOR way. AKA - you aren't going to walk in the door of this, or any, recovery center, and just magically be transformed into a sober person when you walk out the door without doing a lot of hard work yourself. You will be required to do things that "arent' for you" no matter where you go. Many of the things you will likely be asked to do will be very similar to the steps of AA or other book-based recovery plans. Maybe not the 12 steps exactly, but many of the major constructs of each recovery program are similar.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Had never heard of this guy. But when I googled the first thing that came up was "how to get a girlfriend the easy way-Craig Beck". Wouldn't be my first choice for a serious addiction support program. But, I dunno.

I would invite you to look into local programs, AA for example. Look at local rehab facilites, inpatient and outpatient.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I googled it, several things including his own website about "Alcohol Lied To Me." came up.

First, he's right- alcohol lies to all of us, alcoholics or "not." Labels don't matter if it's something wrecking your life, to any degree.

Second, the letter testimony is from someone who describes their tapering. Not something you will find much support for around here. If that's suggested as part of his 'program' I would be very wary. Most of us can find endless ways to put off what we have to do, which is....

Quit.

Do you want to? It's not an "easy" thing to put in action or keep up - but it IS simple, and having a program to do it is critical. A couple of things in his site made me think of rational approaches, whether an official program like AVRT or someone's own plan as folks staying sober share on here.

For me, this sounds like "Sobriety for Dummies" or a magic pill or any of the other "cures" that abound. It just isn't how it works. So read online or go to a seminar or anything that you think will help - but you have to stop drinking in order for anything to change. No magic.

Also- not for nothing, but AA is free.

If you need to get sober like I did, you have to stop ruling things out and give one or more a shot. Without knowing more about your story or reasons behind what "won't work," all I can tell you is not to drink today and take action. Don't drink tomorrow, and do something else.

Lots of good info and tips and program of action ideas on here.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never done his programme, but Craig Beck's videos on Youtube are one of my favourite resources. He is very straight-talking which I like.

I'm not sure about the tapering as August mentioned as I have never heard him say this, but he says in his videos that he won't have anyone at his events who are physically dependent on alcohol and are in need of medical supervision. He certainly seems to advocate quitting drinking and never picking up again.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^^Sophie, I got that part from the testimony of a reader on the home page of (one of?) his site -
https://www.craigbeck.com/alcohol-lied-to-me/
Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks August

I wasn't doubting you, just giving my experience of his videos. Sorry if it came across as undermining, it wasn't meant that way x
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i see from your first post six years ago, you also mentioned Easyway. is it that the program isn't working for you, or that you haven't yet fully committed to any one program? there isn't any one solution that magically cures our illness - whatever method we choose requires choice and commitment and hard work. in some ways, we could just spin the wheel and go with whatever program the marker landed on and be successful.....IF we give it our all.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like to think of it as a prison, with the key inside the cell.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Is anything worthwhile easy?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No worries, Sophie I have been super scattered this eve so I had to double check myself...

Ace - I just noticed your join date was 2013 like someone else said. What's happened to bring you "back" here?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

no matter what the way, you still have to “do it”.
you still have to actually stop drinking.
if you have decided to stop, that is.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sadly, in your post I see you thinking there will be a magical way out.

You can do ANY program, and read all the posts in SR, and become an expert on quitting drinking: I spent from 2008 to 2017 studying know to quit drinking and I tried nearly everything, but I didn’t quit until I made the commitment to quit.

What stops you from quitting drinking? When I quit, there was NOTHING that could stop me and NOTHING that I would allow to get in my way of getting rid of demon booze, and getting rid of my attachment to it. I decided my world could crumble around me and I would remain sober. In many ways, it did. But I am still sober.

Turn it on it’s head. “I have to find something to make me want to quit drinking” can become “I am finished with drinking, it brings only pain, I will never let anything change my mind about quitting drinking.”

There was, and is, a stubborn and fierce quality to keeping my wits about me, permanently riding myself of hangovers, knowing my decisions at all times and fighting for my life. That fierce woman is still here. I may cry and stumble and wail and do things wrong, but I am still sober, and I live my triumphs and peaceful times sober, too. There’s a small piece of me that is constant, true, headed forward, and never changing. Sobriety.

I escaped and it’s a miraculous, beautiful thing. You can escape too, no matter what method you choose to support you through the journey ahead.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

^^^What Sassy said, all of it!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, it's like a switch that gets turned in my head.
It took ages for me to get the switch turned but then it took me a long time to discover that I have to continue to work to keep it switched off.

By the way, a lot of the above posts have mentioned the hard work, and it is hard work. But it's not always unpleasant.
I really wish you the best.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are the Easyway the ones based on Allen Carr's methods?

If so, I quit smoking once for 9 months with his book, I started again, but I never quit, quitting. Well until last year when I finally quit for good. I know at one point they trademarked "Easyway", writing with different authors weightloss, and alcohol cessation books, plus they do seminars.

If that is what you are interested in, sure, why not. It is a very rational approach there is some subconscious suggestion, but I am pretty sure their seminars have money back guarantees. Smoking did, I was going to send dh.

I know for me, I learn a lot more and have more off the gate success with a motivational styled seminar than a more traditional lecture style. I would totally try it.

Easyway if it is the Allen Carr style is terrifically successful, it literally set the smoking cessation community on their ear. I don't know about booze and food, I read the food book, but didn't have an effect.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In my non-medical expert but alcoholic opinion, addiction is still a very poorly understood medical condition. Because of this, there are literally countless options out there for dealing with it. Contrast this with, say, diabetes management. Today, our medical science knows with certainty very specific things that can be done to prevent diabetes and very specific things that can be done to a diabetic to manage the condition. Nothing similar exists with addiction as of yet. This means we are each left with trying to find a way that works best for us in light of their being an overall poor understanding.

AA is clearly the leading "go to". I'm a huge believer in AA. But AA still is not a medical program. So while it works for many, I find it HUGELY arrogant for to ever prescribe it as the "one" solution. 95% of what I hear at meetings is outstanding. The other 5% often contains opinions from people that haven't a clue what they are talking about.

So try anything you think may work for you. Just because another person may dismiss it or say that it wouldn't have worked for them does not mean the same applies to you. We each understand the commonalities of alcoholism. But there is then the uniqueness of us as individuals. No one can properly understand that except you.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

The method is not as important as the ends---to stop and to stay stopped from drinking alcohol. Sobriety is the goal.