Notices

25 Years Today

Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cathy thanks for the wonderful share. In the way of broken history, I too had an extreme rock bottom, that involved my death and pain and stuff- lots of stuff. I am sober 3y and life is pretty good- although I understand and accept my past- self forgiveness is just me being satisfied with who I am today, self love (HA!) not yet....I am still a very damaged work in progress (had procedure number 22, for burns caused by blackout/ciggie/booze, 2w ago).
My child like faith in a god (my dad was a priest..that is another story) vanished 3y ago - but I am far more spiritual now than ever before.
The next challenges before self forgiveness etc happen is moving from acceptance to letting go of the past- especially from my ex (divorce in progress, she gets all she wanted- leave her alone out of respect) and my 2 adult sons(all of who deserted me the night of my fatal burns- too much damage on my behalf, hold no grudges, but lots of sadness), which hurts at a profound level...

yet every night- more to the universe than Gandalf in the clouds with a halo, I go over all I did that day and finish with 'and I did not drink, so pretty good, huh?'. Life IS good...anything is better than that miserable victim I became.

If I drink again- next time I will go dead forever, no 4th chance.

May the universe heap blessings on you- for your hard work and all that you have become.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wonderful, inspirational, tear-inspiring post. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well doneSurly RH........a great example for all of us~~
Old 04-28-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Your story is powerful and truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing it.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Beautiful story!! When I got toward the end reading about how proud your mom is, how you can care for your family financially, own a home, and be a mom your daughter is proud of: I just had a huge smile on my face.

Sobriety is our guiding light.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story, reading it a great way to start the day....
Old 04-28-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiring story. Congrats!!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow that’s fantastic
Old 04-29-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great post! Congratulations.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your success, Cathy! You earned it! I’m so glad you shared your story. It brought tears and really uplifted me! Thank you for being part of SR!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was incredibly moved and inspired by your post. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This is awesome! Could you please repost this in the "Stories of Recovery" section? This thread will probably disappear, but the "Stories of Recovery" get read over and over again

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/stories-recovery/.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
This is awesome! Could you please repost this in the "Stories of Recovery" section? This thread will probably disappear, but the "Stories of Recovery" get read over and over again

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/stories-recovery/.
I can do that
Old 04-29-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Great story. I have a question. Your story told how you got sober many years ago. Can you tell us what you do currently to stay sober? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Great story. I have a question. Your story told how you got sober many years ago. Can you tell us what you do currently to stay sober? Thanks!

Everyone in my life knows that I am in recovery. My circle of Friends is small, but they are awesome. No one tries to get me to drink. The ones that would do that are no longer my friends. I surround myself with supportive people, both in recovery and "normies" Some of the things I do to stay sober are

1) I practice gratitude in all situations, the good is better that way, and the bad is not so bad.

2) I thank God every night for another day sober and every Morning for waking me up Sober.

3) I give back, if there is someone struggling, I help in any way I can. I have learned of many different avenues in my area that can help. I try to listen without judgement, gently encourage others just starting out and share my own strengths and weaknesses, so they know they are not alone.

4) I NEVER forget that I am powerless, I am always aware that if I think differently, that maybe, just maybe I can win the fight against alcohol...I am lost.

5) I pay it forward, if it were not for others helping me when I had nothing, I would have been lost. I never have garage sales etc. I donate everything I can.

6) I try not to compare, recovery is not a competition, but a community of people helping lift each other up.

7) I read every day, be it recovery related or spiritual.

8) I know this sounds funny, but I talk. To anyone who will listen. Doing this has brought me so much joy, usually, when I feel like someone is in a difficult spot, I tell some of my story. When they say that they could never imagine me that way, I say thank you! I have had people with family members struggling to get clean and sober almost in tears, they are so grateful to know that it can happen.

9) I try my best to let go. To not hold onto things I can not change, negativity, regret, guilt. This one is an on going process, I have a tendency to take that crapola back, then I have to let it go again.

10) I try to eat healthy and get at least some movement everyday. Except M&Ms, I eat way to many and I don't care, I love them.

11) I laugh, my sense of humor runs slightly on the dark side, but laughing is good for the soul.

12) I never forget how I felt 4/26/94. my last day drunk and how sick I was my first day sober.

13) I am conscious that it is the first sip of alcohol that will take away 25 years of Sobriety, not the first bottle, the first drink. Then there is no more Cathy, I am sure another bout would kill me....and I am not ready to go!

There is so much more, but as time goes by, they have become just a part of life and it is normal, well as normal as I can be, never really cared to be "normal".

Thanks for asking, I appreciate that, you made me feel special.

Cathy
Old 04-29-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

More Congrats Cathy Thank you for sharing, and Happy Soberversary!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You are amazingly special . Thanks again
Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Humour is way cool to have. I am saving up to get one.

I am nowhere near letting go of regrets (fam) yet- but I know one day, I will.

Great post Cathy.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Cathy, on a quarter century of sobriety. That was such an awesome and moving post! I loved it. You are an inspiration. I love this line: "I understand that I can only keep what I have, by giving it away."

I haven't been on SR a lot lately but I am sure glad I caught your post. I'm very happy for you, your son, and all those people who lives you touch.

You have a gift for writing and an incredible story to tell. You should think about a recovery blog or writing a book.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

WOW. Just wow. I am choked up myself reading this. What an absolutely beautiful inspiration you are Cathy. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

I loved what you said about staying out of the ring. It's the only way to beat alcohol. If I get back in alcohol will knock me for six! I've done my rounds and lost every time, I never want to have another go.

You are awesome! ♥️🙏♥️🙏