Notices

Been here before but back again :-(

Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been here before but back again :-(

I put alcohol and synthetic drugs as my addiction, but I don't know if Klonopin is a synthetic drug. Anyway, that's my issue at hand. I drink beer. My PCP put me on Klonopin to quit drinking (dumb), but after I go to bed at night after 3 or 4 beers, I wake up and grab 1 mg of Klonopin. I know this is going to get worse and I really DON'T wanna die. I have no free clinics that offer help and I am only collecting SS money. Rehabs are EXPENSIVE and I want to know how to begin my recovery from home. Klonpin to get off beer, or beer to get off Klonopin. Seems I already know what people are gonna respond....
Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Darkcloud - Klonopin is a Benzodiazipine, so it's a lot like alcohol in pill form in it's effect unfortunately, and withdrawals can be pretty severe. I'm glad you are here and you are right, people are going to tell you that seeing a doctor is the right thing to do - because it is. Withdrawing from alcohol all by istelf can be potentially dangerous, but paired with Benzos it becomes even more complicated.

If you don't live in an are where free health care is an option, check into whatever your local drug/alcohol resources are - most municipalities have something and can help arrange reduced cost or sometimes even free detox. If you have a salvation army they are another place that offers free detox in some areas.

You could also go to your local AA/NA chapter to see if they know of places to find help, or even go to a meeting while you are there.

Bottom line though, quitting is definitiely a good choice for you - just go about it safely. And of course you will find lots of support here - save medical advice. That's against site policy for the safety of everyone involved.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quit drinking alcohol and use the Klonopin as prescribed by your physician. You didn't mention how long or often you use the Klonopin, but if you don't know, benzos are highly addictive and should only be used for a short period.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome DarkCloud

I would probably go back to my PCP and say 'look, I'm drinking on the Klonopin - this isn't working - what else can I do?'

D
Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REM700 View Post
Quit drinking alcohol and use the Klonopin as prescribed by your physician. You didn't mention how long or often you use the Klonopin, but if you don't know, benzos are highly addictive and should only be used for a short period.
The Dr wanted me to take 1mg in the morning, and one at night...That's not that much but it is still hard to get off. He also put me onTrazodone which I can't tolerate and I think it is dangerous if I am actively drinking....Oh, I have been on Klonopin for a few years but on and off.

Last edited by Darkcloud; 04-23-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-23-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome DarkCloud

I would probably go back to my PCP and say 'look, I'm drinking on the Klonopin - this isn't working - what else can I do?'

D
Good idea! Will call tomorrow
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Darkcloud - Klonopin is a Benzodiazipine, so it's a lot like alcohol in pill form in it's effect unfortunately, and withdrawals can be pretty severe. I'm glad you are here and you are right, people are going to tell you that seeing a doctor is the right thing to do - because it is. Withdrawing from alcohol all by istelf can be potentially dangerous, but paired with Benzos it becomes even more complicated.

If you don't live in an are where free health care is an option, check into whatever your local drug/alcohol resources are - most municipalities have something and can help arrange reduced cost or sometimes even free detox. If you have a salvation army they are another place that offers free detox in some areas.

You could also go to your local AA/NA chapter to see if they know of places to find help, or even go to a meeting while you are there.

Bottom line though, quitting is definitiely a good choice for you - just go about it safely. And of course you will find lots of support here - save medical advice. That's against site policy for the safety of everyone involved.
I try not to ask for medical advice but sometime people offer it. I know better and will do my best to beat this monster! I'll call the local AA chapter tonight. I think they are 24/7. If not...tomorrow. I am not that bad...but then again, what IS bad. I am 67 years old. This is a killer addiction
Old 04-23-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I actually think it's the reverse - Klonopin is dangerous while drinking, trazodone is not. At least that's what I learned from my psychiatrist and rehab alike.

A lot of primary doctors seem to think that benzodiazepines are the best way to treat alcohol dependence. I think they are behind the times. Think about seeing someone who has expertise in addiction, maybe?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
I actually think it's the reverse - Klonopin is dangerous while drinking, trazodone is not. At least that's what I learned from my psychiatrist and rehab alike.

A lot of primary doctors seem to think that benzodiazepines are the best way to treat alcohol dependence. I think they are behind the times. Think about seeing someone who has expertise in addiction, maybe?
Well I sent my Dr. a private message last night to get some input. I don't want to discuss meds on here too much, but thanks for the input. I will take his advice :-) I told him I didn't like how the treatment plan was working.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get help, my friend.
I've had addictions to both booze and benzos.
Benzo dependency can creep up without you knowing. Be 100% honest with your doctor. Return the benzos if you think you won't be able to use them as prescribed.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
Get help, my friend.
I've had addictions to both booze and benzos.
Benzo dependency can creep up without you knowing. Be 100% honest with your doctor. Return the benzos if you think you won't be able to use them as prescribed.
I have been totally honest with him. I admitted my beer drinking, and as a matter of fact, I am not even taking as much benzos as prescribed. Not abusing them, yet can't stop them. I am awaiting his reply to my private message. Thanks for the input...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and sharing - and what dee said is the simplest and direct start....glad you reached out to your dr & I know how terrifying it is to be honest (for real honest!) about my abuse.

I take Ativan (also a benzo) as supervised by my doc and at my visit last wk discussed how I'd been wanting to - and actually doing, sometimes- take more than the as needed 1-3 a day. I've been sober since 2/21/16 so it's certainly not something we'd be using for my anxiety if I continued to drink. I'm still taking it but have changed the process by which I judge "as needed" because this could be a very dangerous thing. I don't like the grey area I've been in.

The later we wait to quit, the worse damage we've done - 67 sounds like a perfect age for you to quit since that's where you are today.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you are here and sharing - and what dee said is the simplest and direct start....glad you reached out to your dr & I know how terrifying it is to be honest (for real honest!) about my abuse.

I take Ativan (also a benzo) as supervised by my doc and at my visit last wk discussed how I'd been wanting to - and actually doing, sometimes- take more than the as needed 1-3 a day. I've been sober since 2/21/16 so it's certainly not something we'd be using for my anxiety if I continued to drink. I'm still taking it but have changed the process by which I judge "as needed" because this could be a very dangerous thing. I don't like the grey area I've been in.

The later we wait to quit, the worse damage we've done - 67 sounds like a perfect age for you to quit since that's where you are today.
Thanks for the input! I have never gone over the prescribed amount, although Ativan was something I had asked him about a while back. For some reason he didn't give it to me. I was on Xanax for a short time and hated it. I don't know. The worst part of all this is the depression it brings to me. I have a wonderful family, guitars, a river close by, and I stay on the couch all day because I can't find employment. I think a part-time job would help me?
Have a great day!