Notices

Headaches, any advice?

Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headaches, any advice?

Hi SR people.

I hope you are all doing well in your journey.
I've sorted out my head and have been able to stop drinking easily, finally. No crisis like previous "attempts". Just stopped drinking and that's all good. Only took me 10 years to get here, I guess that's how long I needed. No need to count days or fight cravings anymore. It's just over. It's not part of my life anymore. Pretty stoked to finally be at this place. Life is good.

The only issue I'm having now is headaches. I've been sober for weeks but I'm getting pretty bad headaches for the last week or so. Paracetamol and brufen don't touch them, a couple of times I've taken codeine to help but then I end up sleeping the day away.
Is there anything to do to help with this that you know? Am I missing some vitamin or mineral that I should/could be eating in specific foods to help with this? Other specific detox advice for the months after quitting drinking is good too, more than just "eating well". I'd like to speed my body along towards being healthier. I'm very grateful for any information I am given.

Any advice appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It might be a good idea to see your doctor for an assessment. What I do when I get a headache is put a heating pad on my forehead/nose and that often helps to make the muscle tension go away.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Congratulations on reaching the end of the road and starting on a new path. I'm glad for you.

I second Least's suggestion. I have chronic headaches, but mostly just treat them with ibuprofen and add acetaminophen when it's really bad. If yours are suddenly popping up, that might be something a doctor could help with. For you, it could be nutrition, stress, or something else altogether.

Are you drinking enough water?
Water is a miracle cure!

O
Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

I had headaches but only for 3-4 weeks - I think now I was under hydrated, but there could be many man other reasons....

Why not see a Dr?

D
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Obviously see a doctor.
I personally cut sugar and wheat last August. I thought I was early menopause, I was getting them weekly and some were getting knock me on my butt bad.
I haven't touched anything other than muscle relaxants when I went through back spasms for a few days in November and once an advil, but I ate a ton of sugar the day before, and figure that triggered a headache.
I always have had a script for toradol for migraines. 8 months, no migraines.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm chugging down the water like it's going out of fashion.

I figured it was something to do with nutrition, though as my diet is fairly balanced I was just searching for something that I would probably need more of at this stage in life.

I hadn't seriously considered a doctor. Will check in with one on Monday if it hasn't subsided by then.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hows the caffeine intake?

I've suffered from chronic headaches throughout my life and had several scans and been to so many docs.

They might know, they might not.

Mine just come and go for weeks, months, etc.

I guess I'm just saying I feel yah.

They always come back when I'm sober much stronger. This time it was at the 2 week mark for a full week.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Caffeine intake is limited to one cup of joe in the morning, not every morning even. That's good thinking though.

The only non related thing I can think of is that my eyes aren't very good, it may be related to eye strain. Light definitely seems to be a trigger.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eyes will definitely do it too!
They have a glaze they put over glasses if you work on a computer screen. I have an astigmatism and trouble at night, my glasses and glaze help a lot. The light doesn't fragment on me and LED is seen blue so not so jarring or bright coming at me.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SIB

Its weird, when drinking you'd get them all the time but knew what it was (hangover). Sober up and they happen all the time. I get them too but nothing a couple advil can't erase. I think its certainly a withdrawal of something or another, most likely sugar IMO. I will also get them if I miss my morning coffee by sleeping in, so that could be a culprit too if you get them when you don't have a coffee.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well the headaches continue.

Looks like it could be sinus related, or eyes, or teeth, or, or, or... I don't have a brain tumor anyway, apparently.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can narrow down a cause Forester - how long have you been sober now?

D
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going for a CT scan on Monday, hopefully it'll be found then.

Been sober 7 or 8 weeks now, not exactly sure. I've dropped about 5kg which feels great. Skin is clearer, mind is clearer, relationships at home and work are better. Everything is just so much easier. It's not a battle this time, I think I've finally grown out of it. It's just meh, whatever.

Thanks for asking Dee, I appreciate your constant concern every time I've surfaced here over the years. It's been a long journey to arrive at this place.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you get an answer and an easy solution Forester

D
Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well the CT scan showed nothing. I got my work to thoroughly clean the air conditioners... and my headache started going away straight away. Yay!

I like being sober. I don't like the thought of drinking at all. The thought of the taste of craft beer is nice, but the thought of the effect is horrifying. I don't know why I couldn't envision this outcome before. My need to medicate was just greater than the reality of what I was doing to myself.

It's a little bonus now that when things happen I have spare cash. I've not really spent money on anything but booze and necessities in the last 10 years, so I'm self trained not to spend wastefully. Big difference.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you feel better man

D