Notices

Petrified Of A Seizure

Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dee when I have got my consumption to zero I am positive my anxiety will diminish and that will be the biggest thing to stop me from ever drinking again.

Also that Alcohol makes you gain extreme amounts of weight and also makes it basically impossible to lose weight whilst you drink alcohol.

I do have quite a few hobbies, honestly once I am off this crap that is it, it is not even a good “buzz” that alcohol gives you, just a tired sleepy feeling at night then a whole day of feeling horrendous the next.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

August I will be honest that anything I post here after 9PM is Infact when I am drunk. I have never been a nasty drunk but I can embarrass myself, I become very “soppy”, I stop thinking about half of the things that go through my head but the Alcohol brings out a weird “soppy” and to be honest, a depressed state of mind, I will feel a slight uplift after 2 cans but once I have had 4 I am sure I become depressed, but most of the anxiety fades.

Then I wake up in the morning and say “why did you drink that crap again”

I want to change, and I will. I will make an appointment with my GP once again and get an answer out of him this time, I have told them in A&E and they say “tell your GP” even tho it is a GP I talk to there, this is what angers me about them, they do not listen to me properly, dismiss almost everything I say and always change my conversation.

But yeah, Alcohol - should be illegal

Filthy crap
Old 04-08-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's not alcohol's fault, Ban. Or the government's or any other person or....we are alcoholics, and we drink, and we have to stop or we will die.

Again, YOU have to decide the life you want. Then, face the consequences laid out and clear for you. My drs have been invaluable in the process.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It is Alcohols fault and the ****** government.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't want to argue, I want to help - but I will bow out til later, and I wish you the ability to choose to quit.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Neither do I and I am greatful, I will quit but I am going to taper, I have been drinking Brandy this weekend, today I feel horrendous, I used to drink Brandy everyday a year ago and switched to Lagers, today I have the worst hangover I have ever had, back to the lagers this week and I will taper slowly and in time be off this crap.

How much did you used to drink? If you want to say
Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

A handle is the largest US size liquor bottle and I forget how many oz that is- and I was up to one about each day, day and a half, often w more drinks around that around my restaurant shifts.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi BanAlcohol,

I understand you are drinking 7 units a day normally, though half a bottle of brandy is another 14 units on top of that. We are not allowed to offer medical advice but my experience was as follows:

- 15 units a day for many years, no seizures
- 30 plus units a day for several weeks, seizure while drinking
- 30 units a day for several weeks then stopping cold turkey, dangerous withdrawals and a seizure 3 days later
- Inpatient supervised Librium detox over 10 days from 30 units per day, no withdrawals and safe blood pressure etc, no seizure.
- Self taper over 14 days from 25 units a day to 5 units then stop completely (as I was advised to do by my medics when I couldn't go back to inpatient), moderate withdrawals and no seizure.

This is dangerous territory though and you should certainly seek medical advice for your own circumstances.

Forwards.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There are plenty of sources on the Internet as to the relative risk of severe withdrawal issues, including seizures, based on the amount and duration of drinking. Look them up, it should give you a relative idea of your risk. HOWEVER, everyone is different, and your risk will not be zero. It may be extremely tiny, but it will never be zero for anyone. If you want to get it as close to zero as possible, do a medical detox in an inpatient setting. In any event, I would strongly suggest a doctor. No doctor is going to tell you that there is zero risk, because they can't. However, they may be able to give you a realistic evaluation of your risk of seizures based on your drinking history. I also don't think that you should allow your fear of seizures to keep you from stopping your drinking. I also concur with the posts above that don't recommend tapering. A tiny seizure risk is far less damaging to you in the long run than continued drinking.

For what it's worth, I also concur with the posts above that say that it's not alcohol's fault that we are alcoholics. We can't enjoy the occasional drink at a wedding, glass of wine with a meal, but most people are not alcoholics and can do so with relative ease. They shouldn't be denied their drinks because WE can't drink moderately. I own my addictions, and they are my problem, not someone that enjoys their wine with dinner on occasion.

I think you should focus on your own recovery and sobriety, and let others worry about theirs. Sharing with each other is a powerful force, and this web site was instrumental in my continued sobriety, but it's of no concern of mine that someone drinks moderately.

Please keep us posted on your journey.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dear Forwards and LightfulMan, I will never be able to Thank You from the bottom of my heart enough for all that effort and advice and explanation you have taken to give to ME.

I have been to the emergency room 2 times since I have last been here (I did not come back as I felt I was annoying people and I sincerely do not want to do that and to stress people out).

I have been having severe high blood pressure and have now been put on medication, some doctors tell me it is anxiety, but I do not know. I am taking my medication. All of my tests are 100% clear but I am under investigation for my severe blood pressure.

I am currently being investigated for Adrenal Gland Cancer, because of how high my pressure goes, it is fluctuating extremely.

It feels like my whole body is shaking inside, and because of the cancer fear I am now drinking a lot more.

I know I am an idiot for my drinking I just seriously feel I cannot cope in life at the moment, I am getting off my head at nights with alcohol to sleep and waking up crying my heart out in the mornings.

I appreciate all of you, that is all I want you to please know, I am not scared of dying, but what I am scared of is leaving my family and my loved one. Miss T
Old 04-19-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

***MindfulMan sorry Sir it is difficult to look who has posted on my iPhone
Old 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

What is it you want us to say, Ban? Until you stop drinking and that means this cycle of self pity/victim/blame/fear - and it means that there is nothing but harm that drinking is doing to ANY of the medical things you are dealing with or possibly have.

Do you WANT to stop? Because it doesn't sound like it.

I used this the other day on a podcast- sometimes the "softer, gentler we're glad you are here" is called for but sometimes what needs to be said is "you won't BE HERE if you don't quit."

Don't let that be the end of your story. It's up to you.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BanAlcohol View Post
I have been having severe high blood pressure and have now been put on medication, some doctors tell me it is anxiety, but I do not know. I am taking my medication.
Were you honest with your doctor about your drinking? Are you supposed to be drinking on the medication?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was in a similar way - had to drink myself into unconsciousness and then the anxiety started again as soon as I woke up.

My growing need for alcohol was contributing mightily to that anxiety.

I did not think I could ever stop drinking, but I was wrong.

It wasn't easy but it was far from being as agonising as I convinced myself it would be.

In the end my fear of death trumped my fear of not drinking.

If you don't think you can do it yourself why not check out rehab as an option?

D
Old 04-19-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Ban, I don't know how bad it needs to get for you to take a firm grip on yourself and do what you know needs to be done. For me, it had to get pretty damned bad. Multiple trips over years to rehabs, AA, the emergency room, inpatient in the psych ward. Looking up ways to do myself in, wishing I wouldn't wake up in the morning. I'm not sure how it happened exactly, but one day not so long ago I realized there was only one sane choice, and that was to stop drinking, to put it down for good forever.

That's the only option for you too, and you know it. You know the anxiety and high blood pressure have got to be, in large measure, due to drinking. You know that you are perpetuating the cycle.

You are not an idiot. You're stuck in addiction. There's a difference.

What you might not realize is that you're not in charge. Your addiction is totally running the show. It's using every excuse it can to scare or cajole or bully you into continued drinking. The cancer fear is just another reason it's jumped on to convince you that you're not in control.

I haven't been as blunt with anyone as I'm being with you. After all, I have a history of recurring relapses and I've only been sober for 38 days. Who am I to be an authority? But I've recently been so close to where you are now that I can almost feel the helplessness and fear you are experiencing. And I want you to really absorb that you do have the power to get out of this. You need a really good reason and you need the firm belief that this can be done. I can't tell you what your motivation might be, but I can assure you beyond a reasonable doubt that you can prevent that bottle from hitting your lips. The worst of the physical stuff is over in days. Yeah, it's hard and extremely uncomfortable, but consider exchanging that short-term misery with the day in day out you've been living for however long - it's a hell of a good deal.

I'm really pulling for you.

O
Old 04-20-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Obladi, I want to stop and another thing I can't work out is how can I get withdrawal from only 4 cans, 7.2 units? My friend drinks a lot more and has no withdrawal ever, so I am scared it is not Alcohol causing my blood pressure.

Last summer I got it all the way down to 3.6 units a day, 2 cans of beer and still I had withdrawal so I am petrified it is not Alcohol doing it?

I honestly don't know what to believe?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BanAlcohol

withdrawal doesn't affect everyone the same - there are a lot of factors involved - height weight, food taken, general health, genetics.

Also, over time the effect of withdrawal can get worse for a regularly heavy drinker.

Its called Alcoholic Kindling.

The only sure way you're going to find out whats causing your BP issue is by seeing a Dr and stop drinking.

D
Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
What is it you want us to say, Ban? Until you stop drinking and that means this cycle of self pity/victim/blame/fear - and it means that there is nothing but harm that drinking is doing to ANY of the medical things you are dealing with or possibly have.

Do you WANT to stop? Because it doesn't sound like it.

I used this the other day on a podcast- sometimes the "softer, gentler we're glad you are here" is called for but sometimes what needs to be said is "you won't BE HERE if you don't quit."

Don't let that be the end of your story. It's up to you.
So kind
Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You mentioned that you sometimes went into withdrawal even after 4 beers or so? I was the same way. The way my doctor explained it to me was I was in a constant state of withdrawal and didn't know it. There is no more "normal".

It was further explained to me that there was basically only drunk, slightly drunk and drinking. At this point, your body is toxic and being totally sober, is out the window.

You'd have to medically detox for a good while to go back to being not toxic. Even then, if i were to go back, then the "kindling" would come into play. Forget what ever sober time I had, the withdrawal picks up very close to where you left off. It changes us on a cellular level.

I was on the "taper" train too. I tried my hardest for 4 years to taper. I never made it. I could get close, but inevitably I would always go back.

I have a history of seizures and when my neighbor finally picked me up and took me to the ER, my blood pressure was at a stroke level. My organs were heavily damaged. I was in BAD shape. I had damaged my heart, my pancreas, my liver and my kidneys. I also gave myself diabetes. I was in the hospital for weeks and I was terrified, but It was the only way for me to really get sober.

I'm no doctor, but my blood pressure was the same way. It was extremely high, and stayed that way because of me being in that constant state of withdrawal. After they detoxed me, I was put on BP meds and now it's been normal for 3 years.

I'm glad I gave up tapering. I just couldn't do it anymore and I'm the strongest person I know. It whooped my a$$.

I also suffered from extreme anxiety and I had gained a ton of weight. I'm a big guy anyway. I stand 6'5 and when I was in shape I walked around at around 225-230. I think I was about 320 when I got to the ER. Since then I've lost almost 80 pounds in the 3 years I've been sober. I'm about 10 pounds from my goal.

How much was I drinking at the end? Most days it was about 2 liters of VAT69 and 12-15 beers. I had been doing that for years.

If I can get sober, so can you, but you might need a hospital to do it the way your body needs it to be done. I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I wasn't trying to be kind.

This is life or death - yours, mine, every alcoholic's.

I hope that you quit and look back one day to see how much we are trying to help, no matter how we word things.

Like on the other thread w Tetrax - best to you, it's up to you - and peace.
A