Notices

Xanax Omission

Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax Omission

You know what's been really making me more and more annoyed?

Two yearsish ago, I went to my doctor and told her I had an alcohol problem and was going to get sober. She offered detox meds, which I declined. She offered Xanax, telling me it would relieve anxiety as needed. Sounded great to me. I took it.
Not once did she mention the addictive risk. Not a word.

It wasn't until I started reading here and heard the word "benzo," Googled it, and realized Xanax was something I should probably avoid at all costs.

Was it my responsibility to figure that out?

Just annoyed. I felt like I had to say that.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always check up on things my doctor wants me to take - simply because I've been burned before.

Doctors, like anyone else, can be ignorant of things they haven't experienced themselves.

I'm sure my doc must sometimes think I'm in PITA but I'm a happy PITA.

D
Old 03-24-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't take anything my doctor gives me without researching it.

I was prescribed so many different pills in the past and it all went terribly wrong for me...including years of a Xanax prescription. So I also learned the hard way and I'm really careful now.

Are you going to do a supervised taper to get off them? I just sort of tapered myself but I'm a rebel like that.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I’d love to take Xanax or Valium I know it would be a magical cure for my anxiety. But booze was also a magical cure. Benzos or booze for me are one in the same. Luckily no doc ever pushed them on me. I know if I took them I’d have and addiction. Back in my drug days I would get them and my friends started telling me they no longer had them I later found out thelied and did have them. I asked why they would not give them to me they said because it was clear it was a problem for me and they didn’t want to see me go down that road. I’m very grateful.

Fast forward I had a tooth pulled they gave me one to calm my nerves I was grateful they only gave me one and no more. You know directly after having the tooth pulled while on Valium I had a horrible panic attack and broke down in the car about how it was such a horrible expierience. I realized that even in that setting for me they still where not all there cracked up to be.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...never-tell-you
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I always check up on things my doctor wants me to take - simply because I've been burned before.

Doctors, like anyone else, can be ignorant of things they haven't experienced themselves.

I'm sure my doc must sometimes think I'm in PITA but I'm a happy PITA.

D
Fun new acronym for me!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, I don't take anything my doctor gives me without researching it.

I was prescribed so many different pills in the past and it all went terribly wrong for me...including years of a Xanax prescription. So I also learned the hard way and I'm really careful now.

Are you going to do a supervised taper to get off them? I just sort of tapered myself but I'm a rebel like that.
fortunately, I’d taken just one script (15 pills) before I figured out how risky they were. Didn’t get them refilled and haven’t been back to that dr since. Only pill that passes my lips now is melatonin. 🙂

I feel like I got lucky... it could’ve been bad. Lesson learned: do independent research before taking anything.

Dee— I’m a emerging PITA 😂
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a terrific patient. I'm impatient irritable even bratty . I'm often given to be hypochondriac and I have a tendency to think I know as much as a doctor does cos I can surf the net or read a book.

I'm sure there are so not so great doctors too....

On the other side of the coin, I put a lot of time into choosing my doctors - my current Dr is awesome - she often goes above and beyond the call of duty for me.

D
Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What I learned in recovery is most doctors really don't understand addiction. Of course the doctor shouldn't have prescribed the meds but I think in the end I'm responsible for what I put in my body. I've known too many recovering alcoholics who have gone out over prescribed meds.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I firmly believe in research and being your own advocate. Just try and be tactful. They ARE the professional, and Doctor Google is not even close to infallible. The best doctors I've found listen to me and have a rational discussion about my thoughts, even saying "I haven't thought of that, let me do some checking and send you a message."

Many times your GP/PCP will prescribe a benzo, because that was traditionally done. Seriously, if you are treating anxiety, depression, or anything else that falls under the "mental illness" umbrella, PLEASE go to a psychiatrist who'd trained in such medications.

Benzos are fiercely addictive, and Xanax has the worst withdrawals. They have their place, but generally aren't good in the long term. If someone suffers from panic attacks and a psychiatrist prescribed Xanax as needed....well, that's basically what it's designed to do.

HOWEVER, if someone has a history of substance use disorder, particularly any kind of sedative, including alcohol, proceed with caution. Do things like prescribe no more than 3-5 a month with only 2-3 refills. Keep close tabs and warn of the dangers.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, it is always my responsibility to ask questions and to do research.

In sobriety, I don't take ANYTHING I do not understand.

Being annoyed isn't doing you any good, is it?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yes, it is always my responsibility to ask questions and to do research.

In sobriety, I don't take ANYTHING I do not understand.

Being annoyed isn't doing you any good, is it?
Actually, August, being annoyed is doing me a great deal of good. I've spent about 2 years thinking about her decision to prescribe something highly addictive when I was laying it all out on the table--my fear, my admission of full powerlessness over alcohol, my decision to quit--and she prescribed Xanax.

I learned, somewhat incidentally, about the risks, and stopped taking it. But in the ensuing months, my annoyance (bolstered by what I read here) has solidified my personal definition of sobriety. I doubt I'll take any prescription, ever, without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

So, yeah. I'll take the annoyance.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another reason the whole thing was beneficial: At that same visit, I asked her for blood tests because I suspected my vitamin B levels were deficient and who-knew-what-else. She ordered a blood test, but never called back with results. After a couple weeks, I finally called the office and got a nurse, essentially begging for some information. Surly and grumpy, she told me, "I'm looking at the results on the computer and it looks fine." End of conversation.

So, again, the learning in it for me, amongst the annoyance: That doctor's office wasn't a good fit for a frightened middle-aged recovering alcoholic. I haven't been to a doctor since, but I really should find a decent one who listens and reacts appropriately.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope from all that, you do follow thru and find a good dr. I need mine for sure.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful

Actually it's pretty common for benzodiazepines to be prescribed for medical detox from alcohol, both for inpatient and outpatient detox. What wouldn't be common is for the physician prescribing them not to explain why they are prescribing them and the possible issues that could arise from taking them. Here's a couple of excerpts from random sites I found when I googled "common medications prescribed for medical detox from alcohol".

According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM), the standard protocol to address withdrawal symptoms from alcohol is to use benzodiazepines. The primary medicinal use of benzodiazepines is to treat issues with anxiety, to control seizures, and to initiate sleep. Benzodiazepines can also be significant drugs of abuse and produce symptoms similar to alcohol intoxication when abused. Research studies have also indicated that benzodiazepines are effective in controlling even complicated withdrawal symptoms in individuals who are recovering from alcohol use disorders.

The process typically involves administering a dose of a particular benzodiazepine (e.g., Librium [chlordiazepoxide], Ativan [lorazepam], Valium [diazepam], or some other long-acting benzodiazepine) that controls the majority of the withdrawal symptoms an individual is experiencing. Then, at specific intervals, the physician slowly tapers down the dosage of the drug and weans the individual off the benzodiazepine. Over a period of several weeks to months, this process continues, depending on the severity of the individual’s withdrawal syndrome, and eventually, the individual is weaned off the benzodiazepine. Using this protocol, the majority of symptoms, including hallucinations, issues with anxiety, and seizures, can be controlled. If individuals experience minor nausea or other mild symptoms, they may be prescribed medications to address these issues. In some cases, there are several other medications that may be used, but the standard protocol is to use benzodiazepines as the major medication to manage alcohol withdrawal.
https://www.alcohol.org/medication/

Keeping the patient’s system in balance and preventing complications is a major part of alcohol detox. Sometimes prescribed medications from a medical professional are necessary to do this.

Medications used during detox include drugs that prevent seizures, reduce cravings and treat co-occurring disorders. Benzodiazepines, or “benzos,” are one type of drug that reduces psychological withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety. Sedation with benzos, including Librium, Valium, and Ativan, allows people to detox without the risk of seizure. Anticonvulsants or anti-seizure medications, such as Keppra, may also be used in addition to benzodiazepines.
https://www.addictioncenter.com/alco...hdrawal-detox/
Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Actually it's pretty common for benzodiazepines to be prescribed for medical detox from alcohol, both for inpatient and outpatient detox. What wouldn't be common is for the physician prescribing them not to explain why they are prescribing them and the possible issues that could arise from taking them. Here's a couple of excerpts from random sites I found when I googled "common medications prescribed for medical detox from alcohol".

https://www.alcohol.org/medication/

https://www.addictioncenter.com/alco...hdrawal-detox/
Thanks, Grungehead. Helpful. Explains why she prescribed it. I do believe she was trying to help me; as someone said earlier, many doctors probably don’t understand addiction as we do. I certainly didn’t, not before I was in it and not while I was in it. Only now do I understand the way it grabs and grips.
At any rate, I feel lucky for what I learned from the whole thing... and, as always, for SR.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Finding, I think you can profit from this experience.

It almost happened to me with Delsym cough syrup ~15 years ago.

It had always made a non-alcoholic cough syrup that was on the Cross Addiction List my addictionologist gave me when I graduated the treatment center.

The problem was, however, that Delsym eventually started making an alcohol-based syrup in a box which was almost indistinguishable from the one for the no-alcohol syrup.

I got it in my mouth, but it felt funny.

I ran into the bathroom to check the box and then spit it out, washed out my mouth over and over, prayed, decided to sue Delsym, etc.

I learned from that experience.

I read all boxes now.

So, we are responsible for what goes into our bodies.

When I have a cold (yuch) and go to the pharmacy to load up on over the counter meds, I will actually Google "cross addiction list" and then check it against the products that I want to buy.

Sometimes I have to alter my plans, BUT NOT MY SOBRIETY DATE.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Twice, I've come off benzos through a rapid taper.
It was not fun.
In fact, it was the hardest thing I had to do. Makes alcohol withdrawal seem easy.
My friends, we are addicts and must be very guarded about any addictive substance we put into our bodies.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Finding, I think you can profit from this experience.

It almost happened to me with Delsym cough syrup ~15 years ago.

It had always made a non-alcoholic cough syrup that was on the Cross Addiction List my addictionologist gave me when I graduated the treatment center.

The problem was, however, that Delsym eventually started making an alcohol-based syrup in a box which was almost indistinguishable from the one for the no-alcohol syrup.

I got it in my mouth, but it felt funny.

I ran into the bathroom to check the box and then spit it out, washed out my mouth over and over, prayed, decided to sue Delsym, etc.

I learned from that experience.

I read all boxes now.

So, we are responsible for what goes into our bodies.

When I have a cold (yuch) and go to the pharmacy to load up on over the counter meds, I will actually Google "cross addiction list" and then check it against the products that I want to buy.

Sometimes I have to alter my plans, BUT NOT MY SOBRIETY DATE.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
I would be very interested to know what the treatment centers have on a “cross addiction list.”

I mentioned somewhere that I took some Claritin a couple weeks ago and felt high for two hours, which was really bizarre feeling, that slightly euphoric, stumbling around can’t think, feeling loopy thing that I haven’t felt since quitting drinking.

I know that benedryl, which is of course another antihistamine, is commonly used in large quantities by sober alcoholics to cope.

I would guess NyQuil is on the list (which does not make me drowsy, but Claritin does!) which I actually took once after six months of sobriety because I was so congested I couldn’t function....I took one measured dose, felt better, finished my workday, went home and thought, OMG. I think I took something with alcohol. It simply didn’t occur to me at the time not to take it. Never took it again, because I don’t like taking meds: I take nothing, and I’m happy about it. Meds are rough on the kidneys and liver taken over a lifetime. It’s another thing that has to be cleared daily.

But I’m wondering what else a treatment center would decide should be on this list. I gave it a google but didn’t get anything. I suppose anything that causes a high....like Claritin, for me!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'd like to offer my experience as a counterpoint.

After much difficulty, and with numerous stops and starts, I finally managed to quit drinking 6 years ago. I had a terrible time with PAWS. It was at least 2 years before it faded into the background enough to be considered part of the ups and downs of everyday life. I would have thought this would place me at extremely high risk for cross-addiction, but that has proven not to be the case.

As part of a multi-faceted strategy for dealing with anxiety related to PAWS, I used Ativan (a benzo drug) pretty regularly. I never experienced any tendency to escalate dosage or frequency. When I finally quit taking it about 6 months ago, I experienced no worse that a week or two of heightened anxiety.

Severe, intractable insomnia has also been a feature of my adult life. It got worse when I quit drinking, and is still an ongoing issue. I have used Ambien for years without any adverse effects and no tendency towards tolerance or dependence.

I've tried CBD oil, as I heard it might be effective on anxiety and insomnia, and it did absolutely nothing, so far as I can determine.

I've experience no adverse reactions to over-the-counter drugs. The only type of substance I can't abide seems to be stimulants -- I find even a tiny amount of caffeine to be intolerable.

So, I don't know. Perhaps I simply burned out all my receptors with alcohol, making me the exception that proves the rule, but I still feel uncomfortable when posters here issue blanket condemnations of benzos or any other type of drug, because it simply doesn't square with my personal experience.

Could it be that as far as benzos are concerned, at least, my experience not only isn't unique, but is more in line with what most doctors observe, thus accounting for their willingness to prescribe them for alcohol withdrawal?