Notices

Xanax Omission

Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad you shared that Andante. My experience is much like yours.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for this counterpoint, Andante. I agree that most doctors have perhaps observed Xanax as something to help ease people through tough times--whether it be withdrawal or the high-anxiety times. I think the important part of your counterpoint is to know oneself, to be aware of one's own triggers and solutions.

Again, the important lesson for me was to really pay attention to what goes into my body (no matter who is telling me it will be a good thing!) and stay close to SR for help with insight and input from all of you!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah same here 3 years ago when my alcoholism got serious I was able to semi address it after my first trip to the ER I then made an appointment and followed up with my PCP and he ended up prescribing me Ativan for the anxiety. Down the road I felt like this was a mistake as I felt like it kept the alcoholism raging. I would find myself having frequent relapses that were severe and in that process I learned that I could just have a bad relapse and then use the Ativan to taper off the alcohol. Well having a Ativan script when ever I wanted a refill made me feel "safe" when I would binge drink and it would just make matters worse, and at the end I started to request it more than what would appear to be normal and I remember my doctor questioning me about it a couple of times, because at this point if I decided to stop the drinking I would then need the Ativan and vice versa. It was crazy
Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I'd like to offer my experience as a counterpoint.

After much difficulty, and with numerous stops and starts, I finally managed to quit drinking 6 years ago. I had a terrible time with PAWS. It was at least 2 years before it faded into the background enough to be considered part of the ups and downs of everyday life. I would have thought this would place me at extremely high risk for cross-addiction, but that has proven not to be the case.

As part of a multi-faceted strategy for dealing with anxiety related to PAWS, I used Ativan (a benzo drug) pretty regularly. I never experienced any tendency to escalate dosage or frequency. When I finally quit taking it about 6 months ago, I experienced no worse that a week or two of heightened anxiety.

Severe, intractable insomnia has also been a feature of my adult life. It got worse when I quit drinking, and is still an ongoing issue. I have used Ambien for years without any adverse effects and no tendency towards tolerance or dependence.

I've tried CBD oil, as I heard it might be effective on anxiety and insomnia, and it did absolutely nothing, so far as I can determine.

I've experience no adverse reactions to over-the-counter drugs. The only type of substance I can't abide seems to be stimulants -- I find even a tiny amount of caffeine to be intolerable.

So, I don't know. Perhaps I simply burned out all my receptors with alcohol, making me the exception that proves the rule, but I still feel uncomfortable when posters here issue blanket condemnations of benzos or any other type of drug, because it simply doesn't square with my personal experience.

Could it be that as far as benzos are concerned, at least, my experience not only isn't unique, but is more in line with what most doctors observe, thus accounting for their willingness to prescribe them for alcohol withdrawal?
I used Ativan for 11 days after quitting and it was a life saver. Maybe literally.

From a secondary standpoint it took me from lying in bed not being able to fall asleep or stay awake with TERRIBLE anxiety to the situation being at least bearable. To an underlying situation it helped lower my blood pressure and prevent possible seizures.

This was all under doctor supervision many years ago.

I guess all I'm saying is that, at least for me and a few others benzos have had a use when quitting drinking. Like anything else it can be abused and become a crutch if you allow it to become one. Think short term help and not a new crutch if your doctor recommends them and always do your homework on what you put into your body. Your doctor can only do so much.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
I used Ativan for 11 days after quitting and it was a life saver. Maybe literally.

From a secondary standpoint it took me from lying in bed not being able to fall asleep or stay awake with TERRIBLE anxiety to the situation being at least bearable. To an underlying situation it helped lower my blood pressure and prevent possible seizures.

This was all under doctor supervision many years ago.

I guess all I'm saying is that, at least for me and a few others benzos have had a use when quitting drinking. Like anything else it can be abused and become a crutch if you allow it to become one. Think short term help and not a new crutch if your doctor recommends them and always do your homework on what you put into your body. Your doctor can only do so much.
Yes you're absolutely correct, benzos can be a life saver if you use them accordingly and will get you through the acute phase when withdrawing from alcohol. It definitely made a difference for me when tapering off. So from that standpoint they're amazing. But for me I had never addressed the underlying cause to the alcoholism so I just ended up misusing the Ativan in order to help "manage" my drinking. So due to the regular use of it and because of my severe stress it made matters worse for me I just couldn't help it.

But I'm sure there are a lot of success stories out there for their use.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I found that I couldn't do a benzo taper unsupervised, I'm cross addicted to them.

It worked in an inpatient setting where the dose and the taper was controlled and I had no access to alcohol.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am personally scared of benzos because I'm an alcoholic and I've drank on Librium before.

I would only take them in a purely supervised situation now.