SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Bad Day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/437252-bad-day.html)

RecklessEric 03-22-2019 09:28 AM

Bad Day

I have been ill this week and am taking antibiotics for a throat and ear infection.
However, I have ongoing unexplained ear issues and had been taking a codeine painkiller.
I guess I was taking it for too long and today I'm feeling wicked anxiety, having stopped on Wednesday.
Stupid me.
Anyway, it'll pass but I find it helps me when I post stuff like this.

ScottFromWI 03-22-2019 11:32 AM

Thanks for checking in Eric, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I've just started turning the corner from a flu/cold that has been making the rounds and I was dead to the world for a few days too.

Glad you are recognizing things for what they are and finding healthy ways to deal with them.

SnazzyDresser 03-23-2019 02:00 AM

Get well soon, Eric! These germs are nothing but trouble, stupid bacteria.

August252015 03-23-2019 04:56 AM

Feel better!! Taking care of yourself when sick is important (something that seemed so weird to me the first time I got sick once I was sober).

Glad you are here.

D122y 03-23-2019 05:13 AM

Reck,

Since quitting being a fat drunk, my immune system is like a furnace. Not drinking is the foundation, followed with healthy eating and exercise. Rest is critical as well.

I quit drinking a few years now and I work out 4 to 7 days a week. My workout is an alternating cardio and full body regime. I get pretty sore after training, especially if I don't get max sleep.

I keep healthy eating in mind, but I am the guy with the extra desert at the buffet.

Honestly, I seem to be a little sick when others are falling apart, but I never get destroyed for more than a few hours.

This reason alone is good enough for me to never drink booze again. It is poison.

Thanks.

zjw 03-23-2019 05:56 AM

hang in there sounds like your a trooper!

RecklessEric 03-23-2019 11:03 AM

Cheers guys.
I appreciate the support.

I'll tell you how NOT to cheer yourself up- watching the Irish football team.😉

saoutchik 03-23-2019 11:46 AM

It looks like ROI will hang on for a win Eric! (2mins left)

Ihope you feel better soon.

RecklessEric 03-24-2019 05:57 AM

In work today.
Feeling horrible and shaky. Most probably from the infection but that feeling then triggers my anxiety.
Times like this, I would love a drink. I am not going to drink.
I'm just looking forward to getting home later and seeing my wife and daughter.
At low moments, they are my inspiration.

RecklessEric 03-25-2019 02:46 AM

Seeing my CBT therapist today.
Anxiety is really bad.
Man, I thought I had a handle on it but this has knocked me sideways.

Thing is, I know at this stage I'm anxious about being anxious. Not logical at all.
I know it will pass.

Lascaux 03-25-2019 02:48 AM

Good luck on your therapist visit, Eric! I hope you get past the anxiety soon and to a calmer place.

RecklessEric 03-25-2019 05:34 PM

Therapist recommended not battling the anxiety or worrying about where it's come from. Just allow it to come over me and acknowledge it.
It seems less scary when you do that.
So I've been doing it this evening and while I still feel pretty uncomfortable at times, the racing head has dissipated and I'm no longer overwhelmed.

Zevin 03-25-2019 06:04 PM

Does it help if you share your feelings of anxiety and craving alcohol with your wife? So you won't be tempted to sneak?

RecklessEric 03-31-2019 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Zevin (Post 7151613)
Does it help if you share your feelings of anxiety and craving alcohol with your wife? So you won't be tempted to sneak?

Definitely. I have learned to be honest with her about it. You are so right, the temptation was always to have a couple of sneaky ones to "take the edge off" and carry on without saying anything.
Laughable to think she wouldn't notice.

Anyway, I've come out the other side of this thing. Support from you guys was lovely, as always.

biminiblue 03-31-2019 05:49 AM

I have a lot of anxiety too and I refuse to take pills any more. Been there, done that - not willing to do it again.

I do some tapping sometimes when I can't get a grip.

Here's a short video. I think it just pulls me out of my head and helps me be in the physical body, here and now. Just takes a minute or two and I can usually break the cycle. Whatever the reason, it helps:

SnazzyDresser 03-31-2019 10:08 PM

This tapping thing sounds so weird and goofy that I felt powerfully drawn to it hahaha. I really do, sounds like fun! Couldn't hurt. I'm hearing good things about tap dancing as well, the old soft shoe etc.

saoutchik 03-31-2019 11:21 PM

Well done on not drinking during this illness Eric, you should be on the mend soon.

Dee74 03-31-2019 11:30 PM

Glad you're feeling better Eric :)

D

Ringo123 04-01-2019 02:52 PM

Hang in there Eric! Give it to HP (God). This too shall pass.