SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I was given a good review at work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/437130-i-given-good-review-work.html)

Stayingsassy 03-17-2019 12:21 PM

I was given a good review at work

Ha. Finally.

I always knew that when it came to the real crux of my work, I did well. But as you all know, as professionals, our responsibilities aren’t always limited to the parts we enjoy, the parts that feed us or make us feel that spark. There are deadlines, there are addendums and meetings and documentation and self-checking and humility and making yourself grind sometimes and making sure T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted. It isn’t all fun and games, make me shine moments. It’s work we have earned and work we have built up our foundation to be privileged enough to perform....but it’s still a job.

Guess who wasn’t really all that invested in making sure things were done correctly. Guess who wasn’t really all that humble. Guess who liked getting caught up in drama.

Now, she is calm. She is aware of what’s not getting done. She is aware of shortcomings and working slowly on rectifying them. She is responsive to criticism instead of just avoiding. She is not hungover. She is not caught up in personal or professional drama. She is aware of smaller details. She is aware of the big picture. She is aware of how the work she does impacts those who follow up.

Pay attention in sobriety. Sometimes you just might see where your hard work is paying off.

It’s not gonna pay off everywhere. I’m slipping here and there in other parts of my life and there is intentional slipping and stonewalling and stagnation in these areas and I have so much further work to do, in this 18th month of sobriety I so am unfinished business.

But I have to stop and smell what blooms for me, sometimes, after all these months.

Dee74 03-17-2019 05:29 PM

Congrats stayinsassy ;)

fini 03-17-2019 07:13 PM

“she” a lot of things.
amongst others: she earned it:)

Upstairs 03-17-2019 07:24 PM

I’m glad you’re starting to see some rewards in your recovery! It’s easy to overlook them sometimes.

20January18 03-17-2019 08:42 PM

You are awesome!!🙌

ScottFromWI 03-18-2019 06:02 AM

Fantastic news Sassy, congrats! And as others have mentioned, it's of your own doing so something to be very proud of.

Bethany57 03-18-2019 06:09 AM

That is wonderful to hear! Thank you for sharing.

Helianthus 03-18-2019 08:03 AM

Really happy for you Sassy, congrats :)

Della1968 03-18-2019 10:23 AM

Congratulations!

ardy 03-18-2019 11:06 AM

oh Stayingassy I love you so much. thank you for what you wrote from your heart . thank you for being stayingassy.. for you have stopped my tears today. love ardy

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy (Post 7146093)
Ha. Finally.

I always knew that when it came to the real crux of my work, I did well. But as you all know, as professionals, our responsibilities aren’t always limited to the parts we enjoy, the parts that feed us or make us feel that spark. There are deadlines, there are addendums and meetings and documentation and self-checking and humility and making yourself grind sometimes and making sure T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted. It isn’t all fun and games, make me shine moments. It’s work we have earned and work we have built up our foundation to be privileged enough to perform....but it’s still a job.

Guess who wasn’t really all that invested in making sure things were done correctly. Guess who wasn’t really all that humble. Guess who liked getting caught up in drama.

Now, she is calm. She is aware of what’s not getting done. She is aware of shortcomings and working slowly on rectifying them. She is responsive to criticism instead of just avoiding. She is not hungover. She is not caught up in personal or professional drama. She is aware of smaller details. She is aware of the big picture. She is aware of how the work she does impacts those who follow up.

Pay attention in sobriety. Sometimes you just might see where your hard work is paying off.

It’s not gonna pay off everywhere. I’m slipping here and there in other parts of my life and there is intentional slipping and stonewalling and stagnation in these areas and I have so much further work to do, in this 18th month of sobriety I so am unfinished business.

But I have to stop and smell what blooms for me, sometimes, after all these months.

Lascaux 03-18-2019 12:10 PM

What a wonderful post - congratulations and thanks for sharing with us!

FindingMyNext 03-18-2019 04:41 PM

Thank you so much, Sassy. I have experienced the same shift. I was always good at my work, but now there is a subtle difference. You named it:

"....she is calm. She is aware of what’s not getting done. She is aware of shortcomings and working slowly on rectifying them. She is responsive to criticism instead of just avoiding. She is not hungover. She is not caught up in personal or professional drama. She is aware of smaller details. She is aware of the big picture. She is aware of how the work she does impacts those who follow up."

I feel like sobriety helped me grow up as a professional.

Congratulations.... and thanks for the great reflection.

waynetheking 03-18-2019 06:44 PM

One thing that came with sobriety was empathy. That really helped me in my work life.
Congrats SS!

Stayingsassy 03-18-2019 06:59 PM

I know people here struggle with sobriety sometimes. I may post a lot but I’m determined to show what comes later, after you’ve had some time to let the dust settle.

The gifts may come a lot later or be a lot more subtle, or quieter than you expected, but if you’re not getting trashed on the reg every week, they will show up, and you’ll notice.

Even early on, take some time to appreciate your clear head. It’s not something to be afraid of, your clear head is a blessing.

Kaneda8888 03-18-2019 11:46 PM

Well done, Sassy being Sassy ! Congrats !

Zebra1275 03-26-2019 09:17 AM

Congratulations!

SoberCAH 04-01-2019 04:16 PM

Thanks for sharing this uplifting news.

I have every expectation that it is highly warranted.

PhoenixJ 04-02-2019 08:10 PM

fragrant flowers grow well in a bed mixed with poo.

perhaps a fitting, although weird metaphor for rewards that recovery and hard work can offer

well done stsa

Hawkeye13 04-03-2019 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy (Post 7146978)
I know people here struggle with sobriety sometimes. I may post a lot but I’m determined to show what comes later, after you’ve had some time to let the dust settle.

The gifts may come a lot later or be a lot more subtle, or quieter than you expected, but if you’re not getting trashed on the reg every week, they will show up, and you’ll notice.

Even early on, take some time to appreciate your clear head. It’s not something to be afraid of, your clear head is a blessing.

True dat