Notices

Cancer

Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cancer

Hi all,
I haven't been here in awhile. I'm 431 days sober. Life was going pretty good and February 12th I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. They had to remove a cantaloupe size cyst, part of my colon, part of my intestines and do a total hysterectomy. I've been in a lot of pain and depressed. I feel like I have lost a lot of my dignity. I'm scared. I will start chemo in a couple of weeks and I will lose my hair. I have great support from family and friends. I'm just scared. I do want to say to everyone struggling with alcohol that I'm still glad I quit drinking. I think if I was still drinking I would have thought my symptoms were from alcohol and not sought medical attention. The things I took for granted my entire life are things I am striving to gain back.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry your life is being disrupted like this. You are right that things could be worse if you were still drinking.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi ladybug,

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Hoping for the best possible outcome for you, and I’m so glad you have support from friends and family. Post as often as you need to.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Really hope that you beat the cancer and very glad you are sober. You sound very dignified to me and clear headed.

It's easy to get into psychological wasteland when it comes to cancer. It's normal to be scared who wouldn't...

Post, we will be here for you.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Ladybug,

I don't really know what to say except thank you for posting and I will be sending prayers, strength and love your way.

This must be so scary for you and I am glad to hear you have a good support network, and the blessing here is that you haven't, don't need to and don't want to drink. That is a miracle.

There is a lady in my home group at AA who has breast cancer, she has had her lump removed and is now on her 4th round of chemo. She has lost her hair but before she did she got her wig sorted (she has named it and everything lol) and it was an exact match to her own hair and you would never have known she was wearing a wig. Yesterday she came to the meeting with an amazing head scarf on. She looked beautiful. She is taking it one day at a time and putting her trust into the God of her understanding and staying close to the fellowship.

Stay close and keep posting. You have lots of extra support here.

🙏♥️🦄🌈
Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

All the best to you ladybug - medicine is doing awesome things these days - - prayers and best wishes for a positive outcome.

Lean on us here to help you through

D
Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey you! I'm so glad to see you share. Remember your #1 fan is rooting for you 100% and from everything I know of you, you have more dignity in your little finger than I do in my entire body.

I can't even imagine how difficult this is or what you're going through right now. All I know is despite your fears, you are strong. I know we've never met but I know that much. I can tell that. You wouldn't be my SR buddy if you weren't.

Just know that, for whatever it's worth, you have people thinking of you even from far away

Love and huge hugs, Ladybug
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a similar revelation a few weeks ago, when I was diagnosed with cancer - I'm sure glad I quit drinking long ago, and I'm also glad that it no longer has any allure as an escape. We never really know how we'll respond to bad and maybe life-changing news until we get that news, but having been an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean we knee-jerk back to our old escape, even after things like operations and chemo.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your news too Jeffrey - again, all the best for a positive outcome

D
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and everyone battling this disease. Modern medicine can do incredible things nowadays.

I hope you both use this place as much as you need to and let us try to lift you up and support you in this.

Best wishes to you both.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

In this together
Old 03-01-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cancer Sucks. No doubt about it. I have lost friends and family to cancer and I would guess that most of us have experienced this too.

But even the worst of clouds can have a silver lining. Some of the most wonderful people I met in AA have cancer. I am amazed that they continue to come to meetings and don't drink. I often find their shares to be especially inspiring. I would never call their disease a gift but it does seem to bring out the best in them spiritually.

Ladybug I hope you beat this awful disease into submission quickly.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Prayers out to you!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LadyBug and Jeffrey,
best wishes to you both for your this part going forward.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey LadyBug -- we will add you ad your family to our prayers. Glad you posted and so glad you were sober enough to seek out a doctor. Stay strong.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sending you prayers LadyBug and Jeff. I read a wonderful book that if you are spiritually (not necessarily religious) inclined, may be helpful. it is about a woman's spiritual transformation and healing through her journey with cancer. The author is Anita Moorjani. I found her description about transforming fear extraordinarily helpful.

Best wishes to you both, I hope you will let us support you.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, you can fight it, stay strong. F**k cancer!
Old 03-01-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

You are my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could say I understand the depth of what you are feeling, but I would be scared too, I am only a message away if you need an ear.

Cathy
Old 03-01-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((LadyBug66)) sending you big hugs. Of course, you're scared and out of sorts. You've already been through a lot with surgery.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Ladybug

Oh my you are going through it. And yeah, it is scary. I'm being treated for cancer too...although I'm soooo lucky that its super early. I've been at this for a decade, on and off. The treatments make me sick and that is just plain depressing.

I guess what I'm saying is, I feel you. And I understand. I'm so glad you have family support. That is incredibly important.

Big sigh. Look into holistic stuff too to help support your immune system through chemo.

You'll be in my heart and my thoughts.