Notices

Popping in to say Hi

Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Life

Popping in to say Hi

I like to pop in every now and then. Mostly it's to check on my old buddy Bulldog. I'm so freaking proud of that guy, he's come such a long way. I love that guy and I never even met him. Most of the other people that I remember seemed to have moved on and I really can't remember a lot of them either LOL. Except for Dee of course, we had our differences of opinion over the years, but it's all love. He was always a great mod and sometimes I was on my Bull Sh*t and had to be set straight. Anyway, I guess my anniversary is coming up, it's funny I haven't really thought about it. February 21, 2011 is my date, but I really don't share that with most people in recovery or out of recovery. I actually started going to the occasional AA meeting again last month and I refuse to tell people my date. All I have is today and that's all I focus on, I don't like to get hung up on dates and years. I feel like people get hung up on that, sometimes. Instead of asking what do I like to do, people are worried about how much time do I have and it creates an invisible hierarchy in the rooms. Bu t that's my own stuff, nothing against the rooms.

Anyway, lots has happened with me since I last posted whenever that was, I really don't know, but a long time. Last year I finished my PhD and I started my counseling practice that I've been trying to develop on the side while I continue to work as a school counselor. That was a super long process with obtaining permits from the city and putting all my forms together for the clients, while I'm trying to work, but I got it done. Now I'm just working on promotion and marketing. I've been some presentations to other therapists at conferences and right now I'm working on getting certified as a grief therapist. I would also like to turn my dissertation into a book. My topic was Intergenerational Gay Couples. So things are pretty good. And I'm going to cut this short, because I need to get back reading about "Death and Dying", so I can get this certification.

Hope everyone is doing good and if you're not, just hang in there because things will get better in time as long as you don't pick up. Take care everyone.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t remember too many set to-s

Congrats on your PhD and on thinking about moving into a different area TE - and congrats of course on your recovery

D
Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all that success, good luck with your future plans for the book and research!! What an awesome “check-in.” Keep it going.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good for you..the doctorate bit was very stressy, me thinks.

thanks for saring
Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Great news. Continued success.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad to see you back! I remember you. Congrats on getting your doctorate and also on your sobriety.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words brother, I feel the same way. Congrats on your Phd and all of your successes. Most of all, on your continued sobriety.

For those of you who don't know, TheEnd was one of the only people who would check up on me when I was out there killing myself with booze. I came in right before he did and we leaned on each other for support. I wasn't done yet though. I fell off the wagon and was off to the races. Some of my darkest days, I'd stumble in here and he'd see me and drop me a few kind words. It meant a lot.

Towards the end, after my family gave up on me, he'd still be there telling me he knew I could do it. here's an example from my profile wall...

01-25-2014 10:13 PM - TheEnd
Keep trying brotha and don't give up hope, because we haven't given up on you!!!

There's more there, and he sent me messages too. He found me again the week I got out of rehab and offered more words of encouragement.

I don't know if you'll ever get how much I appreciated all of that, TheEnd...You were absolutely instrumental in me coming back when I felt like there was nothing left. Thanks man.

So....do us all a favor and try to make it back more often, okay? An if I don't hear from you on the 21st, here's your congratulations, now.