Notices

Drunk dream....

Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk dream....

I had a drunk dream today when I was taking a nap. I woke up almost out of breath. It scared the daylights out of me.

Right on time. This happened to me right around a year and again right before I celebrated 2 years. Two more weeks and I'll be celebrating 3 years. It's weird how patters emerge.

Maybe it's my mind telling me to get me a$$ plugged back in. The last month or so, I've been working a lot and not really commenting much here. I think I'm going to remedy that starting right now.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At least you can console yourself that it was just a dream.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I had a drunk dream today when I was taking a nap. I woke up almost out of breath. It scared the daylights out of me.

Right on time. This happened to me right around a year and again right before I celebrated 2 years. Two more weeks and I'll be celebrating 3 years. It's weird how patters emerge.

Maybe it's my mind telling me to get me a$$ plugged back in. The last month or so, I've been working a lot and not really commenting much here. I think I'm going to remedy that starting right now.
Drunk dreams give me shivers. Wake up in a horrible panic. But at least they are just that...dreams. And always grateful for that.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Drunk dreams give me shivers. Wake up in a horrible panic. But at least they are just that...dreams. And always grateful for that.
I'll say once again that I amazed at how many others have these dreams. They are very disturbing. I would wake up angry and dismayed.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to dream that I was in my final year of college, failing all my classes and wouldn't graduate after coming so close. This would be for years after I had finished college.

After I got sober I started to have drunk dreams myself. They are terrifying each time.

I wonder what life event will happen in my golden years to cause me to have nightmares?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm nearing 10 years sober and I just had a drinking dream last night! I think those dreams are just the way our subconscious sorts things out. In those cases, dreams do NOT need to become reality!
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

the odd thing is man times i've had dreams where i'm smoking cigarettes again i oddly tend to like those dreams. but when i have drinking dreams there terrible and i wake up so glad i dont drink anymore.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have drunk dreams occasionally too, and they always makes me feel terrible and are usually about me doing and feel awful because of drinking. I take it as a good sign, I never dream about having fun or feeling good drinking, so even when I'm asleep my brain still thinks drinking is bad for me, and I think it's good. I would be far more worried if I woke up having dreamt about a good party and craving beer...
Old 02-16-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get those ‘drinking dreams’ and i wake up thinking i should be hungover or feeling like crap but surprisingly i don’t.....i realize then it was just a dream and relived by the thought
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting topic, thanks for sharing.

I’ve had them too but it’s been a few years. I remember in early recovery it was almost like I was being tested in my dreams, it was right there and what was I going to do?

Kudos on your 3 years coming up! Great job!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It just shows that the AV never really dies. He goes into hibernation, but he is always there, lurking, just waiting for us to bring alcohol back into our lives. I still occasionally have the drunk dream, but they have become more subtle. There is a bargain, where, in my dream, I am allowed to have certain types or amounts of alcohol . I always get confused over whether I am properly following the "rules" and then wake up. I know that I am in the minority here, but I actually enjoy my drunk dreams. They make me feel better about my sobriety when I wake up, they serve as a great reminder to stay vigilant, and they reinforce the idea that there is no bargain involved here - sobriety is a bright line, I don't drink any amount of alcohol for any reasons.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
It just shows that the AV never really dies. He goes into hibernation, but he is always there, lurking, just waiting for us to bring alcohol back into our lives. I still occasionally have the drunk dream, but they have become more subtle. There is a bargain, where, in my dream, I am allowed to have certain types or amounts of alcohol . I always get confused over whether I am properly following the "rules" and then wake up. I know that I am in the minority here, but I actually enjoy my drunk dreams. They make me feel better about my sobriety when I wake up, they serve as a great reminder to stay vigilant, and they reinforce the idea that there is no bargain involved here - sobriety is a bright line, I don't drink any amount of alcohol for any reasons.
I have similar dreams. I don’t ever get drunk in my dreams, its more holding a beer in my hand with a vague background of rules I had set in my head, telling myself it’s ok to drink, but never taking a sip. Sort of like my conscious sober brain is there even when the dream-like id is steering the boat, thank goodness we are asleep, and not able to get up and crack one open.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
High on Life

I like to pop in every now and then and see how you're doing. Looks like you're about to celebrate 3 yrs. That's awesome.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I like to pop in every now and then and see how you're doing. Looks like you're about to celebrate 3 yrs. That's awesome.
yeah...it's pretty amazing how beautiful life can get when you get busy livin instead of dying. I left you a message on your thread. Love you brother.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 and I have had the most vivid dreams about drinking and buying alcohol the last couple of nights. Well when I actually could sleep. The interesting thing is I am a long time alcoholic and I half heartedly decided to sober up 2 years ago. Have detoxed and gone 30 days or more or less numerous times and never had a dream about drinking. This time I finally decided I was serious, made a plan, scheduled IOP, actually signed up for SR (rather than just lurking) and committed to AA . Then BAM the dreams came. It makes me feel really bad like the feeling that I let myself down. Just have to realize the brain is weird and move on.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fintime View Post
I am on day 5 and I have had the most vivid dreams about drinking and buying alcohol the last couple of nights. Well when I actually could sleep. The interesting thing is I am a long time alcoholic and I half heartedly decided to sober up 2 years ago. Have detoxed and gone 30 days or more or less numerous times and never had a dream about drinking. This time I finally decided I was serious, made a plan, scheduled IOP, actually signed up for SR (rather than just lurking) and committed to AA . Then BAM the dreams came. It makes me feel really bad like the feeling that I let myself down. Just have to realize the brain is weird and move on.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Congrats on day 5! Hang in there, things will get a lot easier the more you do this. Early on, I was plagued by drunk dreams and I think for me, it was because sobriety was starting to mean something to me.

I woke up terrified all the time...and that moment when you realize it was just a dream, and that's the ONLY fu#king place this AV could hunt me anymore, I knew I was winning the battle. So are you.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a horrific drunk dream last week, the first in a decade or so.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I get them occasionally. I feel miserable on waking as I'm convinced I've failed. I need to constantly reassure myself it was just a dream.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

They definitely shake me to the core when I'm first waking up. As terrifying as they are, maybe there's a part of me that's grateful for them because it reminds me to never forget where I came from.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In my drinking dreams, the drinking was always a bad thing/experience and waking up to find I was still sober was a huge relief. Maybe my subconscious is just reafirming my committment to sobriety? I take it as a good sign anyway.