Notices

Feeling guilty about ditching a party

Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I hate weed too! Always felt like such a weirdo passing it up, was always just the WRONG high, I was always a simple drunk from the start.

Good work lpg. It’s tough. This is one example of what I mean when I talk about changing our lives completely. It takes a lot of bravery, a lot of standing alone and firm in our decisions. It also is very empowering for us as individuals.
Thanks sassy yeah we really do have to change completely. It did feel quite empowering once I got over the guilt. It's all learning I won't feel guilty next time.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
​​​​​​
I ditched a party last night of a work colleague, I just couldn't be around alcohol yesterday. Iv never done this before, made a decision for myself and my soberity, any other time I have forced myself to go to the party out of guilt.
I had to bail from a CLOSE friend's wedding - and I had a lot of time myself. Certainly enough time, I thought, to NOT have "those thoughts about drinking" anymore. I too felt guilty for a little while but it started to become clear to me that if they were upset at me for NEEDING to leave, then they weren't really as good a friend as I'd thought. Who's so selfish that they'd require I stay at a their wedding (presumably so they could feel that they put on a great wedding for everyone) in spite of it being a dangerous thing for me to attend - at the time? The answer is no good friend would think that way - and she didn't mind that I had to leave once I told her why.... it was pretty obvious to me that I was very likely to end up drinking that night. Fight or flight was in effect and I knew I'd lose the fight if I stuck around. I'm glad I left.

Sobriety, especially happy-sobriety, is a lifestyle I commit to with my actions - not just in my head. And just like any decision we make - there are times where that decision is put to the test in real life. I already know how failing those tests has felt and I'd rather not sink back into that lifestyle ever again.