Notices

Children of alcoholics week

Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Children of alcoholics week

Let’s hope some awareness is raised and lots of money is put towards services to help the people that need it.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

a little background

Children of Alcoholics Week is Held February 11-17 2018

Children of Alcoholics (COA) Week is a campaign led by Nacoa (The National Association for Children of Alcoholics) to raise awareness of children affected by parental alcohol problems.

Imagine coming home from school and dreading what you might find. Imagine having no friends because you’re too embarrassed to bring them home in case mom or dad are drunk, or worse. Imagine living in a home full of fear and having no one to turn to because everyone denies there’s a problem.

Together we can increase awareness of this hidden problem and the support available. Find out how you can help children of all ages know they are not alone.

This year, under the slogan “All you need is Love”, the Children of Alcoholics week activities of Active – Sobriety, Friendship and Peace reflect on love and safety, as not just feelings that children experience, but also part of children’s rights.

Children of Alcoholics Week is celebrated internationally each year during the week in which Valentine’s Day falls. There are organisations holding COA Week activities in USA, Germany, Poland, Sweden and Slovenia.
https://www.ncadd.org/index.php/blog...ary-11-17-2018

D
Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had no idea this existed. The summary Dee shared is quite familiar as the child of an alcoholic. So that's the 2018 link - interesting that it is celebrated the week of valentine's.

Here's a link I found for this year (UK)
http://www.coaweek.org.uk/
Old 02-11-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol sorry about that - long day

D
Old 02-11-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No worries- our friend Google gets all the info when you put in the key words. I shared this on the social media sites I manage - the rampant addiction in the restaurant world logically means many of us have parents with alcohol and drug problems.

Good way to start the week - awareness!!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never heard of this.

I certainly suffered from alcoholism way before I took my first drink.

I'm certain that I still have some baggage from the years of shaming and other nonsense.

I forgave my parents, both of whom are mercifully deceased, but I still have bad dreams about growing up with them.

My mother's alcoholism, and my father's refusal to protect the children from it, were divisive issues in our home.

Moving back to their city never occurred to me when I finally got out of school.