Notices

Sober, but still unhappy.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by flavinho View Post
I honestly don´t know what else to do, I always thought that achieving full sobriety would bring me joyful days and health. I´m every day bored, I only work and sleep now, I have no will for social life or even sex, I don´t have pleasure in my past hobbies. At first I thought it was depression, but I´m taking fluoxetine and it´s not helping at all. I`m 2 months sober and really angry with myself.
Yup....... that was me as well. Part of me was relieved though - because I was pretty sure that DRINKING was a problem but it wasn't the main problem. Deep down I was pretty sure that eliminating booze would probably be a good thing for me but I totally doubted that it would change my life.......... and I was right. I mean, it was nice to be free from booze but the days in my early "sobriety" were more like constant glaring reminders of why I drank so much and so often to begin with.

Then I had this lady tell me one day (and I totally hated this gal - which made it even tougher to swallow when she said what she said), "Well Mike, there's a WORRRRRLD of difference between not drinking and being in recovery. It's good that you're not drinking but you're totally missing out on the really good stuff." There was a difference? Heck, I thought "not drinking" was all there was to it at first. It hurt my feelings to basically hear her tell me that I wasn't really in recovery yet - even though I had a bunnnch of months since my last drink. On the other hand, the good news was that it sounded like there was more for me to experience. And that was good news becuase at the time, just not drinking one more day was NOT a lifestyle I was going to be happy with for long.

Thank God what that lady told me was the truth. Had I settled.........or tried to settle.......... for just a string of "I didn't drink today" types of days I don't think I would have made it to year #2 and definitely wouldn't have made it to 3.

Lots of people straighten right out once they put the proverbial plug in the jug. I wasn't one of those ppl. And thankfully, there's a whole lot more available if you're willing to go for it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I always thought that achieving full sobriety would bring me joyful days and health.
P.S. Being sober doesn't necessarily bring joy and health. Alcohol/addiction is a mental illness that needs a lot more than abstinence for a fulfilling life.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hear ya 😩
Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Develop a plan and work it. This creates enthusiasm. That will lift your spirits.
Read and study the advice here. Your life depends on it. This is a disease. Take it one day at a time and take seriously.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Flavinho - just checking in since you haven't piped back up. It's been a couple weeks- how are you?

Introvrtd - you too, how are things?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi flavinho....hope you are still sober. I remember many quits in the past where I said to myself, “I don’t feel good and it’s been months, I hate this, so it must mean I’m supposed to drink.”

Just remember no matter what your question is: drinking is never the answer.