Notices

How Did I Get Here?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
seven days is fantastic!
this caught my attention, too: “Had every reason in the book to grab a bottle...”
hm.....what could those be? reasons?or rationalizations?
i had to admit that, other than being an alcoholic, there never was one reason, no, not one, to pick up a bottle.
there is no book full of reasons. just lousy attempts at justifications

7 days; yay!
keep going.
I think I was focused on the reasons I would have normally picked up a drink was what I was getting at. Honestly, I really never needed a reason it was just what I had become. The reasons really are just excuses for the behavior. Its going to be a while before I break this thinking I have a feeling. This weekend was specifically hard because it was the first sober weekend in a long time, We were snowed in and I generally felt like crap. I didn't expect such a huge amount of idle time within the first week! But I made it through and feel good about it today.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
How are you today ryabd? What plans for the new week?
I am good and thank you for asking. I have one full and honest week under my belt and feel Ok, not great but fair to partly cloudy. The plan to get to the end of week 2 is to see my new therapist on Thursday, start implementing some changes at home on how I should take up some time in the evenings with something positive. I had a lot of time over the weekend to think about all the things I used to enjoy before drinking took over and how to start re introducing these things back into my life in a safe way.

I also plan on avoiding the things (and people) that I used to associate with having a drink.

But a week is a long time and I cant get to the end of the week without addressing today. The plan for today is not to drink and stay positive about that choice.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yes, the change in perspective and thinking about the way we talk to ourselves about "why"...takes time and practice.