Notices

Alcoholic in 3/4 house - dilemma

Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic in 3/4 house - dilemma

I have a year sober and it was a bad one. My living situation made me want to take the bridge but I'm not ready to live alone yet. A couple ladies from my AA home group strongly encourage me to try sober living so I moved in to the house and it's great. The fellowship and support is really helping me.

Heres the thing I'm struggling with and I need opinions on. Our house manager is not sober. She is known in the AA community as someone who abuses gabapentin. She is high often. She borrows from different people so they know.

As house manager she is in charge of locking up everyone's meds so they can't abuse them. In short do I tell the owner of the sober living house the girl acting as manager is actively abusing prescription drugs? This is the person who arbitrarily decides when someone has to blow in a breathalyzer or pee in a cup yet she is not required to and even if she did her drugs won't show up. Is this fair?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CJHolden View Post
I have a year sober and it was a bad one. My living situation made me want to take the bridge but I'm not ready to live alone yet. A couple ladies from my AA home group strongly encourage me to try sober living so I moved in to the house and it's great. The fellowship and support is really helping me.

Heres the thing I'm struggling with and I need opinions on. Our house manager is not sober. She is known in the AA community as someone who abuses gabapentin. She is high often. She borrows from different people so they know.

As house manager she is in charge of locking up everyone's meds so they can't abuse them. In short do I tell the owner of the sober living house the girl acting as manager is actively abusing prescription drugs? This is the person who arbitrarily decides when someone has to blow in a breathalyzer or pee in a cup yet she is not required to and even if she did her drugs won't show up. Is this fair?
Was the woman hired because of her skill as a manager and her ability to deal with others? Or is sobriety also a job requirement? I assume the owner doesn't want anyone working who abuses drugs/booze but is complete abstinence a requirement?

In any case I would be careful about making accusations.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a sober living house. You get drunk or high bye bye
Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CJHolden View Post
It's a sober living house. You get drunk or high bye bye
O.k. so she's not sober yet passes judgement on others. Well, that's not good

But if you're going to complain maybe gets others in the house to collaborate the accusation.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This pretty much sucks for you and everyone there trying to get sober.

If I was in this situation, I would have to put my sobriety first like with everything else and a) look for another sober living house, anything safe as far as the leaders/mgrs sobriety and b) leave. Honestly, even a year in and especially if it was a tough one like you said, it wouldn't be my problem - I would have had more than enough to deal with for myself.

A LOT of drama could ensue from being entangled in anything that raising this issue would bring.

Best to you for good choices and staying sober.