Notices

I'm quitting the drink

Old 01-27-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You’re doing great! . That’s the method I used.

“I’m not a scientist with some special way to quit, I just stopped putting alcohol in my mouth and accepted whatever happens.”

The “accepted whatever happens” is the brave part.

A year and change in with “whatever happens” getting quite challenging in my life I am still actively accepting.

It is an active thing, every day. But even with pain and sorrow in my life, it is a better existence than the one I had as a drinker.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great to hear about your progress and resolve Fronting. I quit on January 1 and, if I can do it, anyone can. Alcohol lead me to lose a lot of relationships too as well as respect from co-workers. So, I can really relate to your experience and feelings.

For me, for the last 27 days, I have checked into SR several hours a day. I now check-in daily with the January 2019 group and the 24 hour thread. On the weekends, I check-in with the above and the weekender thread. If you think it would help, then you're more than welcome to join one of the threads. I felt like I needed daily accountability and support.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Also: I think newbies should check in here and listen to the tone of your language.

Your intent is very, very clear in every post. Your subconscious is aware of that intent and you are much, much less likely to have the “oops I drank and I don’t know what happened” kind of BS that happens to people who say “I will try” or “hopefully I’ll get some sober time” or “I wish I could drink” ....those words keep the door open and and those little cracks lead to slips and full blown relapses. Your words are keeping it shut. Remember that and be wary of “loose” language about drinking.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all. I figured I'd give an update on how things are going.

You know I used to live by myself and drank whenever I wanted and it was often. Now, I live with some family members. It's been a blessing. I probably only drank 5 times all of 2019. By slowing the drinking way way up like that I don't feel horrible like I used to.

Thankfully my mother does not like me to drink and I listen to her. But she leaves sometimes for vacation and I sneak some beers. But it feels okay since its so little now.

I'm not saying this is the way to go by any means, but for me I still like a cold beer or 6 and to do it a few times a year is a blessing rather than doing it 100 plus times.