Notices

we are never safe

Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

we are never safe

just checking in, not posted in years although i do occasionally pop in for a read.
stopped drinking completely in 2006 not saying it was easy but got better as the years went by and after a while it didn't even enter my mind at all, even though mt 2 sons drink and there is alcohol in the house.
until last Christmas we had dinner , my wife normally buys a none alcoholic drink which looks like wine, what i didn't see was there was also a bottle of cheap fizzy wine on the table and i poured myself a glass not realizing as i took a sip , it threw me off guard and i thought aw well that's ruined it then i may as well drink it which i did.
that was all i had ,the one glass but what it did do is started me thinking of drinking again and have thought about drinking more in the last year than the previous ten, even found myself looking online to find stories of people who have returned to drinking moderately, which i know in my heart would not be the case for for.
anyway i would just like to say, stay strong people and remember we are never safe.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well - I don't know if anyone here has successfully returned to the drink after quitting. I did go back after many years and moderation was not the final outcome. So here I am back at almost five years sober again. I won't make that mistake again.

Welcome back, you're very lucky to still have that capability to not go down that rabbit hole of re-drinking. I hope you learn to quiet that voice again. You can absolutely do it. You didn't ruin anything. It was one glass a year ago. Thanks for telling us your story - no one wants to wake that beast again.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Complacency can be a killer. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe alcoholism is a life sentence. There are some who can return to moderate drinking, but I question that they ever were alcoholics to begin with. Sometimes I question whether I'm a real alcoholic or not. I guess I could try drinking in moderation again, but why should I do that when not drinking at all has worked out so well for me. Logically, I can't see any reason why having one drink or drinking moderately will offer me more than I already have.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh kiddo I don't know its what you personally want out of your life.... I had a tiny I mean tiny sip of my Son's rye.. very nice.. good flavor and smooth. but that was it.. for with my health and Eddie Lee's health in the balance a sip for a toast to my Dad the King of Christmas with my 3 adult kids and it snowed just enough to bring the little girl of Santa belief out of my 45 year old daughter.. Look Grandpa heard us.. just a sip and that is all. if you want to stay sober you have to want it really and truly want it.. my take.. ardy
Old 12-31-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just another reason why I don't allow alcohol in our house.

Luckily for me my wife doesn't drink even though she's not an alcoholic. My sons are in their twenties now but we raised them with no alcohol allowed in the house so they're used to it.

I do pay a social price for this though. We never host parties or get-togethers with family or friends because we can't serve alcohol and my side of the family are big drinkers and wouldn't have any fun with no alcohol served.

Oh well. My sobriety comes first and for this reason I do not regret not allowing alcohol in our house.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's the poisonous thinking that amazes me.
Rationally, you had a glass of wine a year ago - no biggie.
Like me driving a car drunk is no biggie if it's for a short distance when the roads are quiet or someone else having a sneaky couple before work to settle their nerves.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dave65,
I am the only non-drinker in my household. We have large family get togethers and the only people not drinking is me and my grandkids. Something similar happened to me at one of our get togethers. I picked up my cup and couldn't tell if it was mine (club soda, ginger beer & lime) or my daugher's vodka and soda. So I just poured it out and got me a fresh glass and wrote my name on it. I did hesitate a second before I poured it out thinking I should just taste it to see if it was mine but then knew if it was the vodka I wouldn't have poured it out. I have fear of going back to drinking because I just loved it so dang much. I have to force myself remember the "next day" a lot because the only thing my brain wants to remember is the feeling after 2 drinks.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Ugggh to have that craving return after being free of it for so long.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

When I came out of rehab I went to a fish and chip restaurant and ordered a ginger beer which in the U.K. doesn’t have alcohol in it. When it came I was sat reading SR and thought the glass looked odd. It was the kind of glass you would serve European beer in with a twist of lemon on the top. For some reason I decided to look at the bottle which still was half full and realised they had given me a very strong alcoholic ginger beer! I was absolutely terrified at the thought that if I had not checked I could have ended up drinking alcohol without choosing to. I am extra vigilant now and never let anyone get me a drink and watch the barman like a hawk at restaurants. xx
Old 01-01-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dave65, that was a dumb move drinking that drink. But you didn't let it totally derail you - so far you have still saved yourself.

My best advice to you is to tell that voice that you reawakened NEVER. Use the word never. I never drink. Don't feed that voice in any way. Just shut it down every time with never.

Gotta starve it.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This happened to me 5 years after quitting cigarettes. I just had one and it was no biggy. Then I had another a week later. Then again a month later. Before you knew it I was buying my own and smoking a pack a day like I had before.

I smoked for over 2 years before I was able to quit again. 2 years from that "just one".

I hope I remember that, if and when I'm 5 years in with alcohol. Thanks for the post.