Notices

Alcohol problem = plan for sober life

Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Really enjoyed reading this thread this morning jimmyJlover. Thanks for sharing your journey. It has inspired me this morning, and put me in exactly the right mindsight for the weekend. Great stuff. Congratulations on 9 months!
Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Really enjoyed reading this thread this morning jimmyJlover. Thanks for sharing your journey. It has inspired me this morning, and put me in exactly the right mindsight for the weekend. Great stuff. Congratulations on 9 months!
This! I read the thread and the last post. Really inspiring. Thanks for sharing JJ (and everybody else; have learnt tones from this)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Jimmy that's awesome!!!

I don't believe in the pink cloud then crash theory - I believe that we can keep growing our capacity to live pink, as we keep learning how to deal with ups and downs yet stay in a peaceful place (I have a lot more to say about this in my blog - pink is a pretty important word and place in my world).

That first #3 is so important!!

We keep gaining the insights and the literal things (skin! that's something I get complimented on an at 43 tomorrow, that makes me glow ).

Glad you are here, sharing and great job on 9 mo!
Happy birthday! (yesterday, lol).

Is your blog public for others to read? If so, mind sharing a link? If it's private I understand that too. Hope you're well, appreciate all the comments, encouragement, and strength you've provided here.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyJlover View Post
Happy birthday! (yesterday, lol).

Is your blog public for others to read? If so, mind sharing a link? If it's private I understand that too. Hope you're well, appreciate all the comments, encouragement, and strength you've provided here.
Thanks! Lots been going on lately that's tough- but I managed to flip things around to gratitude over the bday wkd

And you are most welcome for support and cheerleading.

Put all together (spacing out here so I'm not promoting)
a life filled with pink (.) wordpress (.) com

It links to a couple interviews I have done on recovery
Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 320:

Things are strong right now. I just finished up and annual 10 day road trip and still sober. There were a few trying moments as I was the only one sober, but those around me respected my decision and no questions were asked. I think the "problem" was me, as in I started to have random thoughts about having a few beers around the campfire in the evening..."earned" of course because of a long day (self rewarding right?). But, I played the tape forward and kept myself in reality. All in all, it was a great time.

Also recently opened up to a close friend, who has been sober for 18years and we discussed my new sober life, the challenges, obstacles, and what is next. I believe a strong foundation is key and I continue to work on that.

I feel confident in my decision making, as stated before, I don't feel the need to apologize for not drinking. I don't make excuses anymore. There are no feelings of "I can't drink", rather I've adopted a mindset of choosing not to drink for a better life. Working on this aspect was a huge stepping stone and when I started to realize my potential here, it was a turning point in my sobriety.

I feel good. I feel solid. I like my choices.

I've been reminiscing a little as this time last year was the worst I had ever been in my life... I almost took it. Things are a 180deg different now.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratultions on day 320 Jjimmylover

D
Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congratulations this is fantastic to read. 😀😀
Old 09-17-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Nearly at the year mark. Nice!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Great job and thanks for the update! Indeed, I learned the problem is always "me"

And, I heard this from Dee early on and always have to share: after an event/outing/trip/etc where we stay sober and take away new reassurance of our sober life choice...that's great to be proud of and also the BEST time to take our awareness and sober habits up a notch. We can relax a bit without realizing it and that gives the AV/alcoholic mind/whatever you choose to call it a "door ajar" opportunity.

Glad you are here- keep it up!!
Old 09-24-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

In a bit of a funk. I don't believe it's a drinking funk though, but I'm worried. I'm wondering if the road trip bothered me some? It seemed coming back home was great, but since then I've felt as though everywhere I turn alcohol is in my face...tv, social media, some friends, going out, etc etc. Also the weather is changing and I'm realizing this is the first fall I have been sober. But I don't really feel any sort of excitement or joy. I don't really feel like drinking and there is no desire/craving, but I have my guard up.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

As I sit here and type and this I cannot believe I'm sober. It's such a strange feeling having a life without alcohol. So good to have left that life behind and I'm grateful to be here. Nothing is easy, but life is much more manageable and interesting. To think I almost ended my life 1 year ago is crazy. It gets better folks... 24strong.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

A little off topic, but not too far. This might come off as a rant but here goes;

For those who are thinking "everyone drinks but me" or if you currently feel alone, when you truly look around and investigate you'll find not everyone drinks. Those who do drink don't always go to excess. In fact, now that I don't drink if I'm attending a work function or social outing I can look back and see just how much I was really drinking in comparison to some of my colleagues and friends. I mean who was I kidding? I realize that it wasn't always a party for others, but to me it was. To others it was a social drink or 2...not 12 drinks.

The last year or so when I was drinking I knew I had a problem. I came to the conclusion my excessive drinking was not what everyone does. It became a lonely game of me and my lonesome holding a can of beer in my garage after everyone else was done for the evening. It became a life consumed by alcohol.

To further validate my observations, Miller Lite has just released a new social media stance and have deemed themselves "going dark". Their campaign is based on studies showing younger generations do not drink in bars or engage in bar night life activity as much as previous generations. The idea is people might be drinking less. Their new stance is based on social media being the affecting variable, kind of leaning towards the notion of the younger generation not seeking out alcohol as the catalyst to socially engage.

"Going dark" refers to putting down the social media connections and getting out to meet people...but of course, in a bar. Miller Lite has gone as far as saying they will award free beer to folks who unfollow their twitter account as a statement of ditching social media and getting out to a bar, where real life connections can be made, with alcohol of course. Their media statement was something to the tune of, (paraphrased); "we'd rather have a few good friends than a few thousand social media followers..see you IRL".

So my point is, the tides may be turning a bit. Not everyone drinks. Relationships and connections can be made without alcohol. Maybe it's up to us. Things change and we have made a commitment to change for the better. You don't need alcohol for personal connections. Although I do agree with Miller Lite and their new social media stance, it doesn't mean you need alcohol. But I can get on board with ditching social media at times to get out and make those connections "IRL". But I choose to be alcohol free. Live sober, live life. Stay connected to yourself and learn to connect with others...without alcohol.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I am not sure if the tide is turning on drinking. But I do think that most of us have the "everyone drinks but me" syndrome at least in part because of the people we collected around us when we were drinking were other drinkers. So our pre sober friend set is biased to include more drinkers due to our past behavior.

"According to the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 86.4 percent of people ages 18 or older reported that they drank alcohol at some point in their lifetime; 70.1 percent reported that they drank in the past year; 56.0 percent reported that they drank in the past month."

So look at the statistics. 44% of all adult Americans did not consume any alcohol in the last month. To me it's certainly not accurate to think "everyone drinks but me". On the other hand it is a way for us to maintain our denial and keep drinking.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
To me it's certainly not accurate to think "everyone drinks but me". On the other hand it is a way for us to maintain our denial and keep drinking.
I could not agree more with this statement! The "everyone drinks but me" mantra is what kept me going on the alcohol path. I was so afraid to quit, wondering what everyone would think of me. Although it was immaturity, it was also denial to reinforce the continuity of my drinking behavior. In reality, very few (if any) folks care that you don't drink.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Today is 1 year. That is 365 x 24hr promises I’ve made to myself.

It feels like yesterday that I was drinking, yet it seems so long ago the night I took my last drink. Although I have many things to say, I’m not exactly sure how to put into words right now. I can say this... it’s so worth it. I heard many people say this before me and I often thought, ‘they don’t know me or what I’m going through’. But they did know. And now I know. It can be done and there are many positives that come along with it.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this thread. It means a lot. I need you all. That's how it works.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Wow Jimmy, one whole year, that’s simply fantastic. Well done you! Lovely inspiring post, too 💓.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

One year. Awesome!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyJlover View Post
Today is 1 year. That is 365 x 24hr promises I’ve made to myself.

It feels like yesterday that I was drinking, yet it seems so long ago the night I took my last drink. Although I have many things to say, I’m not exactly sure how to put into words right now. I can say this... it’s so worth it. I heard many people say this before me and I often thought, ‘they don’t know me or what I’m going through’. But they did know. And now I know. It can be done and there are many positives that come along with it.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this thread. It means a lot. I need you all. That's how it works.
Beautiful.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again jimmyJlover
Old 04-28-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Re: Alcohol problem = plan for sober life

545 days
I live a sober life now. Alcohol is far removed, yet I keep the memories fresh. I don't forget the misery as it keeps me going to another day. I continue using sober tools.
At times I have some real easy days where this new life is just on autopilot, something I would've never imagined could happen to me. I've learned to accept, love, listen, be still, and focus....among other things of course. But I work at it and remain humble.
Stay motivated, stay strong.