Notices

Acceptance Committment Therapy

Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance Committment Therapy

I have successfully used CBT in the past. I've been feeling a little off lately, in terms of my feelings and thinking so thought I'd have a few more sessions. However, my old therapist is no longer seeing clients so I sought a new one. However, my new CBT therapist uses the ACT method. Has anyone else experienced this? It isn't sitting well with me, I must admit.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

No experience with either one and only a Wikipedia reading understanding of each.
Are you using therapy to remain abstinent or as a tool for broader life contentedness?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I haven't heard of or used that specific method myself either. But I would say that the therapist/individual relationship needs to be a good one - and I think if your therapist is not willing to adjust you might want to consider finding a different one? Have you discussed that with him/her?

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 12-21-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I haven't heard of or used that specific method myself either. But I would say that the therapist/individual relationship needs to be a good one - and I think if your therapist is not willing to adjust you might want to consider finding a different one? Have you discussed that with him/her?
I decided to stick with him.
He told me before Xmas that I was "pretty intimidating", which bothered me for weeks.

He admitted to using unwise words and set forth how he saw our sessions going. I've benefited from them since, so...