Notices

8 years tomorrow but workaholic

Old 12-16-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 years tomorrow but workaholic

8 years without drinking tomorrow. Should be excited but now its just another day. What I have done is replaced drinking with being obsessed with work and had a lot of financial success with it but it is all encompassing. I enjoy stress I guess. I always wonder would I be better in a less stressful job and having more time. But then I wonder would I be bored again and go back to drinking?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 8 years Double !

I left a long career from physically demanding work in 2007 and it turned out it really had nothing to do with my commitment to never drinking again.

Are you still passionate about the work you do now ? ,...and if so , ..would it be possible to cut down on your hours some ?

With my work ( self employed ) ,..I had that option ,..but found it difficult because I was in a pattern of working 70-80 hours a week for years . In retrospect , ...I think it was too much .

This is only my humble opinion ,...but I feel it's erroneous thinking to believe my endurance workouts I did for 5 years after I quit drinking was any sort of *replacement * of my addiction to booze.

Has that specific thought : "maybe I should get a low stress job so I can drink some " ,... come into your thinking lately ?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I do remember reading about how stress is a good thing. To a certain degree that is. A certain degree of stress is necessary in one's life. Too much or too little stress can clearly be a bad thing.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think balance is the key. Recovery should be enjoyed

Working and being productive is great but not at the cost of your health - mental or physical...

of course only you can decide where that line is.

Congrats on 8 years doublecheck.

D
Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 8 years doublecheck, that's fantastic! I am a believer that we ( addicts ) tend to be obsessive about lots of things in our lives. And I think that some of our addictive tendencies can carry over from our DOC to other things if we aren't careful. Mindfulness is a pretty powerful in that department - have you ever read about mediation and being mindful? I have a really busy job too but I find that even taking 5 minutes to collect my thoughts and or meditate ( try at least ) that it really helps.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome and inspiring.

Congrats on 96 months! I mean 8 years!

I hear you on the fear of returning. I’m only on the second half of year one, but don’t want to repeat the first six months. Ever.

Working to excess has worked for 8 years. There might be other plans that work for you to support the next 8 years....food for thought.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

Congrats on 8 years doublecheck!

My Dad had always said "some people live to work and others work to live". Neither is the wrong way of thinking as long as it's not causing problems in your life. I've been in both situations depending on the job. I worked shift work at a hospital pharmacy for over a decade and it was definitely a "work to live job". After that job I got my dream job as an assistant golf professional for several years at an exclusive club and it was definitely a "live to work job".

At the hospital job I rarely worked over 40hrs a week and at the golf job an average work week was 60hrs and 80hrs was the norm many weeks when we were hosting a large tournament. We hosted a PGA Tour event and charity event annually that were nationally televised in addition to local charity or member events nearly every week. I actually had more time to play golf when I was working at the hospital though...go figure. I loved both jobs but for different reasons.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
8 years without drinking tomorrow. Should be excited but now its just another day. What I have done is replaced drinking with being obsessed with work and had a lot of financial success with it but it is all encompassing. I enjoy stress I guess. I always wonder would I be better in a less stressful job and having more time. But then I wonder would I be bored again and go back to drinking?
congratulations on the 8 years.

with regards to work that's something I had to figure out myself.

i ultimately decided to stick it out since my retirement was ten years away.

Now I needed the money. I'd made some major financial mistakes and had to keep my job if I wanted to stay afloat.

But I never felt ​ sorry for myself .my problems are/were a direct result of being sober.

quality problems to be sure but problems nevertheless

good luck. I hope it works out.

congrets again on the eight years