Notices

Xmas staff party.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xmas staff party.

how long did you guys wait in your sobriety before going out to social events/parties?

i'm a little over 9 months sober and i'm supposed to be going to my xmas staff party next week. it'll be the first time in my 9 months going out to a social event like this and i'm a little nervous. i'd feel a lot better just not going..and i very well might do that. but something also tells me i can't just shelter myself and avoid events like this for the rest of my life. any tips?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Go with your gut. You say right in your message that you'd feel a lot better not going, so don't go. And in the grand scheme of things a work party is pretty low on the "ladder of importance". How about finding a community holiday meal or food pantry to volunteer at for a couple of hours instead?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by froscow View Post
how long did you guys wait in your sobriety before going out to social events/parties?

i'm a little over 9 months sober and i'm supposed to be going to my xmas staff party next week. it'll be the first time in my 9 months going out to a social event like this and i'm a little nervous. i'd feel a lot better just not going..and i very well might do that. but something also tells me i can't just shelter myself and avoid events like this for the rest of my life. any tips?
I was 8 months sober 3 years ago and relapsed during a social outing, no warning, no intentions to drink, just did it. I would also be careful, the darn beast can be sneaky and it's just not worth it. Who knows how long it will take for one to be ready....if your already nervous, I would say...maybe not ready?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you're completely right scott. the only justification i have for going is it would be good practice for me in relation to other events like this that come up in the future. because something tells me i can't bail out of things like this for the rest of my life? however, my sobriety is number one priority. period.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

and thanks too wildflower. yea if i'm already nervous..then that's saying a lot. it's not worth it. it's not like anyone's even going to even notice if i don't show up, haha (lots of people going)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You have plenty of social events coming up in your life. There's no reason to force yourself to start now.

By nine months I had been able to go to bars with friends and not drink, but everyone's different. I would NOT have attempted it before about that time, but I had worked the hell out of my sobriety and knew that I was done with alcohol.

If you are having ANY misgivings, don't go.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

you're completely right scott. the only justification i have for going is it would be good practice for me in relation to other events like this that come up in the future. because something tells me i can't bail out of things like this for the rest of my life? however, my sobriety is number one priority. period.
You are't bailing on anything - people miss their work parties for all kinds of reasons completely unrelated to alcohol. Some people just don't like going, have other family commitments, etc.

To be quite frank, I still don't go to most of these kinds of things even many years into sobriety. Sure I CAN but to be honest there's better things to do. Certainly you will reach a point where you can go to events where alcohol is present - I go to weddings, graduation parties, I even went to my 30 year class reunion. But if you have any hesitation I'd trust your gut on this one.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i think this whole situation has pointed out my flaw of being a 'people pleaser'. i've told people i'm going because i don't want to seem antisocial and boring. and i hate being flakey and not following through with my word now.

oh well. my sobriety is far important than all of that
Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i feel so much better deciding not to go. this past week of "committing" to this has felt like a huge chore i couldn't wait to get out of the way.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nine months? Hard to say. I was confident enough by that time, but it's probably different for everyone. About that far into my sobriety, it was my turn to host the monthly poker party with my friends. Alcohol was always present, but I was always the only one that really got sloshed. The others just nursed their drinks.

Remember that advice about leaving the party if you feel in danger of drinking. It really makes it easier when you have an escape route planned. I was debating calling off the poker party because of my fear, until I remembered the escape route plan. But how do you escape from a party if you are the host? I decided it was the same as it is for a guest. You pack up and run to a place of safety. You don't have to even return to the party. The guys would take care of themselves.

It gave me confidence and I made it through the night just fine. I also casually announced at some point in the evening that I had quit drinking without giving any specific details. There was no great round of applause. No one sensed it as some great change or accomplishment. Their reaction was more on the order of an uninterested, "Oh... cool." One guy did seem to catch on to the monumental importance, but he just casually responded, "You know Dave, sometimes a guy just recognizes that he has to do that."

But something funny happened the next day. As was the custom, the guys left their beer and chips and half empty bottles of hard stuff behind. I guess it's kind of a "thank you" to the host. I started gathering the liquor together remembering who brought what so I could return the stuff to the owners. Throwing it out seemed rather rude. But as I was taking a bunch of beer out of the fridge, one or two bottles slipped and went crashing to the kitchen floor. I had get down on my hands and knees to pick up the broken glass before I could mop up the mess, and I got scared. Not that I might be tempted to drink any of it, but on the off chance that one of my new friends from AA might stop by at that very moment and demand an explanation about what I was up to.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just don't enjoy parties period.

I didn't like them when I was drinking and I don't like them sober. They seem pointless to me. Especially work parties. I see you people enough!!

I'd rather do anything other than a party any day of the week, and I'm five years sober. I always felt trapped at parties. Even at weddings, I like to say, "Congrats" to the couple in the reception line and then leave. Birthdays are tricksy. I kind of feel like big birthdays (21, 30, 40, 50, etc.) or kids' birthdays deserve a party, but not the other birthdays. They feel like gift-grabs to me, unless they say, "No gifts."

Okay, maybe it's me.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not going to mine either....just dont want to. A lot of people go for the very reason I dont want to.....to drink. Always go with your inclination. If ever in a situation where you must go, skip cocktail hour, then eat, then run!
Happy holiday
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My first business holiday party was when I had four months. I went with a sober friend, stayed about 30 minutes and had a club soda in my hand the whole time.
Good luck!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am just starting out but I have cancelled going to my office party. It is too soon for me. Even after 9 months I dont think I'd trust myself but everyone is different. If your escape plan if you are tempted is good enough then you might be OK.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First party, 14 mo. First wedding, about 18. I am 2 yr going on 10 mo sober. I was very conservative perhaps, and began my socializing in one on ones around 90 some days. I also discovered what I really enjoy- small groups, time with my most important people, and being home. I have never had a regret declining ANY situation, including fam holidays in my 2d year.

Note- I am an AA person, so I've had ongoing dialogue and program based decisions all along. I DID decide to go back to work in a restaurant at 5 mo sober, and also began dating my now husband. Big caveat here- he is also in recovery....and was my high school bf so I knew with absolute certainty he was trustworthy.

My emotional then physical sobriety come before anything else, as the former precedes the latter.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks for all your input everyone.

i'm going to give it a miss. far easier than figuring out escape routes and planning out the night. i feel a hell of a lot better already haha.

the main reason i was so torn was people at my work wanting me to go. some of my weaknesses; giving into pressure and people pleasing. but i've got to get over that and prioritize.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i'm going to give it a miss. far easier than figuring out escape routes and planning out the night. i feel a hell of a lot better already haha.
Excellent choice. Escape routes are only necessary in "have to be there" situations. And if some one missed you at the party, you can always fess up and tell them, you just started with the sobriety thing, and didn't feel secure enough yet to be around that much alcohol. I've found that a lot of people accept this, and even offer encouragement and understanding. There are always those out there, who will ask why you don't just control your drinking and be there. It's not their fault that they don't understand. I've found it easy to just brush off such responses.

You can also engage them and tell them that no, you can't control your drinking, and that you really want to give sobriety thing a chance. You are under no obligation to do this, but most people understand, I think. If no one understands, it's a red flag, and outright avoidance is obviously the best way to go.

Last edited by DriGuy; 12-04-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I have a very close group of friends who were extremely supportive when I was in rehab and beyond. Much of our socializing was around wine...clubs, vineyard trips, and parties where everyone would bring a bottle and we would sip them all evening.

I can now hang out with them at restaurants where I'm the only one not drinking or at a party where they are drinking wine. I might get a "habit" craving (a situation where I habitually drank and having a drink seems automatic), but I just acknowledge the craving and it goes away.

BUT

I didn't even attempt this until 6 months sober. If I had tried it any sooner I didn't trust myself, and at that point I had a decent amount of sober time and a lot of sober tools in my kit.

EVEN SO

I ALWAYS set a time frame and have an escape plan, as well as sober friends who will talk me through a bad situation. I am a modified AVRT person and theoretically making my vow and recognizing the AV would be enough. And it is.

I consider the escape and phone a friend plans as insurance.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

the main reason i was so torn was people at my work wanting me to go. some of my weaknesses; giving into pressure and people pleasing. but i've got to get over that and prioritize.
I think this is awesome. You’re putting your sobriety first and this is how we stay sober. I’m about 11 months in and I do not do anything social where there is alcohol. Staying sober is too important to me. Great job!!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you Froscow. Turns out that my daughters music coincert is on the same night as our party! Perfect excuse (I would’ve made up something anyway).

Find yourself something fun to do that evening and make that a new tradition!