Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

World Health Organisation Alcohol Use Disorder Identification

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone who wants an Excel version of this, considered the gold standard in alcohol use disorder diagnosis and assessment, please PM me.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No replies? I guess y'all already know you are raving alcos.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

probably more that its in Excel sortofhomecomin LOL

D
Old 11-30-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
No replies? I guess y'all already know you are raving alcos.
I definitely don’t need a spreadsheet to know that I’m an alcoholic. Not laughing at the fact either really.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm an accountant.

Scott, keeping a sense of humour is one of the things that has kept me sober for the last nine weeks. Each to their own...
Old 12-01-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What helped me see I'm just a garden variety drunk was seeing myself described perfectly in the Big Book by an alkie who lived in Ohio in the 1930's (Bill Wilson).
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What helped me is watching my life and sanity crashing down around me like the movie 2012.

I knew I needed to quit for a decade, and knew I was a natural alcoholic since my teens, just didn’t want to until 9/25/17.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to college for two years for health (a public health type program for undergrad) and that's when I began my drinking. Of course, we learned about alcoholism, and we had the little tests, Are You an Alcoholic? And I would take the tests and use my alcoholic logic to fudge the results so the answer was no. Or, if a question didn't apply (is this affecting your relationship with your spouse? When I was in college and obviously didn't have a spouse) I would use that to justify, "well, that means I'm not an alcoholic! I'm answering no to like, half of these questions!"

So, basically, I've learned not to trust myself with this sort of thing and just look at the damage in my life, and see if I can relate to other people at AA and their stories. The thing that helped me was the stories in the back of the Big Book. I went to one meeting, drank and hid out for a long time, but I had that BB and read those stories and knew, secretly, that I was an alcoholic. I'm always grateful to that person who gave me that BB, even though I moved out of the area and never got to see her again or tell her thank you. It really made me see the light.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know I was an alcoholic and it was only going to end badly. The amount of times I was in hospital either directly or indirectly through alcohol, the amount of people I know I hurt or angered, I'm just glad I, with the help of others, good, kind, people, managed to hit reverse and get back on the right path.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am an analytical person so I guess I find it interesting to analyse how much of an alcoholic I was/am.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Alcoholism/active addiction may well be a medical condition , for me, drinking would be a moral failing as I would be actively opening myself up to very real possibility of 'acquiring' the 'condition' , again.

re above tagline

all i miss about the boozin is the boozin, and the boozin aint all it's cracked up to be

Living comfortably with latent desire is entirely possible and not half bad
Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is interesting - this thread highlights exactly my concern over the terminology Alcohol Use Disorder.

Like Lacey said, I got the no you're not an alcoholic result from every quiz I took...and the act of taking a quiz in the first place is an indicator of a drinking problem.

I firmly believe that here is a spectrum of mental illness, like with my anxiety and how well meds help, what some days are like v others, etc....I get very concerned that us Real Alcoholics as AA calls us will find this type of significant official material supremely useful to play all the games alcoholic minds will do to split hairs, deny, avoid, etc....

Ultimately, for me, the why's and wherefores of it all did one thing, and that was keep me justifying my drinking even in the face of truly insane everything.