Notices

Boulder City Stories

Old 11-20-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Boulder City Stories

First off I'm not sure if there is an actual boulder city somewhere I'm just titling the thread that because of what I'm about to ask

So this is for everyone I just wondered if you would share a time you were climbing a difficult ridge of recovery mountain and what you done to get past it or over or under it or however you handled what you considered to be a tough bit of recovery in your first few years or later ?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well there's Boulder Colorado!

For me, learning that my feelings are just feelings. Being mindful and challenging my thoughts and how I respond to them. Pausing before reacting. Many times not reacting at all to my feelings. To use the rock analogy, its like hiking along and tripping on small stone. Getting angry at the stone, feeling like the stone purposefully jumped in front of me, feeling sorry for myself so then deciding to jump off the near by cliff, because 'what's the point anyway?'.

I now try to see everything for exactly what it is. That life happens. That life is sometimes really hard. I may not be able to change my feelings, but I can control how I respond to them. And there is no quicker way to make a pebble a boulder than to drink.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have accepted weak moments without giving in to alcohol. I cut myself slack in every other area of my life except alcohol, because sobriety is my line in the sand. I get more sleep, increase calories, cut back on workouts, cut back on workdays, limit time with family: whatever it is I need to do to give back to myself in order to reduce stress, I do.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's an old saying..or maybe it's not...but I always say "There are some days where you'll coast though this and there are some days where you'll earn every minute of your sobriety."

I think that's me.

When I'm "earning it" so to speak, I'm doing it even when it's tough. Not for any other reason than I want to be sober for the rest of my life. For whatever particular s#itshow it is that day that makes it hard....it requires me to show up sober for that day.

So I have.

I try not to over complicate it any more than that.

I think Sassy said it well when she said to cut yourself slack.

For me, there were times where I needed professional help and I took those steps. That classifies me cutting myself some slack when I decide not to solider this alone for whatever reason or particular problem.. Or being kind to myself when I've been hard on myself. Or like Sassy said, to do whatever she needed to do to get herself back in order.

I think the "secret" to it all besides the want to be sober more than the want to be drunk is to get as many tools as you can to help yourself when you feel life getting precarious.

I haven't seen you around the alcoholism forums in a long time..it's awesome to hear from you.