Notices

13th Stepping

Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13th Stepping

In AA and NA parlance 13th stepping refers to sexual predators that may be found at meetings. While the numbers seem quite small their impact on vulnerable members may be quite dangerous.
At my former home group there was a lady, 20 years sober, who at times would speak of her poor suffering husband and her libidinous nature.
In sharing on one occasion I had spoken of my sordid sexual past as part and parcel of my drinking problem. Some time later, at another meeting she suggested more than a cup of coffee. I had turned 70 and she was some 20 years younger. She explained that she also belonged to Sex and LoveAddicts Anon a group also using a twelve step program. It seemed that she sought sexual liasons there with both sex and thought perhaps I might like to join. Clearly my share had indicated to her that I was still the same sexually as indicated.
While somewhat flattered and tempted I chose to decline.

As a rule of thumb when someone leaves an AA rehab it is sometimes suggested they avoid relationships for 12 months. As for predators: one may falsely see such as friendship. Alcoholism is a major problem in itself and AA does not profess to be sex educators.

On going back a good many years I now see, that for me, lust was also a problem that caused much stress as love is quit more complex. Harm may well tranfer to many where thoughtless trysts are involved.In today's very open society this may sound quite Old Hat but, as I see it, lust masquerading for love will usually end badly.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She sounds like a piece of work. Trolling 12 step meetings for sex addiction for sexual partners...like going to AA to find drinking buddies. Or NA to score drugs. I get it happens but that's the lowest kind of low.

What a nut job.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me. In the series Breaking Bad, they captured that aspect of 12 step programs when Jesse and his buddies decided to pretend to go to meetings as addicts to find people they could sell meth to. And it wouldn't surprise me to find predators hanging out a Sex Anonymous and treating it like a meet up instead of a recovery program.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Wherever there are desperate vulnerable lonely people, there will be those who seek to exploit that situation, sad but true. That's how we humans are, still doesn't make it right of course.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people who are addicts and alcoholics transfer their addiction to love/sex and then proceed to prowl the rooms looking for someone to engage with. I saw it all the time in the large urban meetings when I first got sober. It's just another means of avoiding oneself.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
Some people who are addicts and alcoholics transfer their addiction to love/sex and then proceed to prowl the rooms looking for someone to engage with. I saw it all the time in the large urban meetings when I first got sober. It's just another means of avoiding oneself.
I would agree. Unfortunately, you may need time in the fellowship before you can distinguish between those who mean well and those who are attempting to take advantage.

Lending money, offering employment, letting them stay awhile at your home. You need to be careful.

Switching addictions is common: food, gambling, sex, sponsor/sponsee manipulation etc.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ng-in-recovery
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's worth noting that AA meetings are not the only place where this kind of behavior happens. It can even happen in online forums and it's why we have the "no tolerance" policy in place here. And switching addictions is very, very commonplace too.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through a very similar experience when I first got sober.

The young lady who came onto me wanted me to attend a SLAA meeting with her.

Like you, I declined.

In my case, it was because i knew it was wrong and I was very fearful that it could lead to a relapse, which I could ill afford.

I have been married almost the entirety of my time in the program.

And I follow the cardinal rule of never, ever flirting.

As an aside, I have always thought that 13th stepping was a term which also included dating between or among people in meetings involving people who were by no means sexual predators.

I can think of few better ways to ruin a good AA meeting than by bringing that type of dynamic into it, but people do fall in love, whether it's in bars, at work, in church, in meetings or in a wide variety of other contexts.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's worth noting that AA meetings are not the only place where this kind of behavior happens. It can even happen in online forums and it's why we have the "no tolerance" policy in place here. And switching addictions is very, very commonplace too.
Quite so. It can happen in places of religion, employment, clubs, basically anywhere. As for alcoholics and drug addicts who are extremely vulnerable people, perhaps the thirteenth step should be raised more at their meetings. Indeed, Bill was held as being a victim of such......
Old 11-21-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I went through a very similar experience when I first got sober.

The young lady who came onto me wanted me to attend a SLAA meeting with her.

Like you, I declined.

In my case, it was because i knew it was wrong and I was very fearful that it could lead to a relapse, which I could ill afford.

I have been married almost the entirety of my time in the program.

And I follow the cardinal rule of never, ever flirting.

As an aside, I have always thought that 13th stepping was a term which also included dating between or among people in meetings involving people who were by no means sexual predators.

I can think of few better ways to ruin a good AA meeting than by bringing that type of dynamic into it, but people do fall in love, whether it's in bars, at work, in church, in meetings or in a wide variety of other contexts.
In larger AA communities I`ve notice plenty of drama related to dating. You can usually spot one or two meetings a week where a lot of single guys and gals attend. I was with a woman when I joined AA but even if I hadn`t I doubt I would have gotten involved with another member.

I had a bad experience going out with a co-worker years ago. It was uncomfortable working in the office with a woman who ends up with someone else in same company. That was last time I dated a co-worker.

I met an AA couple who moved together from another area of the U.S. to my AA community. The woman was quite the looker and I felt bad for he guy when it became apparent his girlfriend had eyes for another member.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I saw this the others day and I was thinking exactly what Scott said and would have said the same its called talking advantage I'm not aa but singling them out ignores the far wider problem like at home or at work - this happens a lot so you can't just say aa because its the first one anyone thinks of in recovery

If people care do something in your day to day life say something to a friend or colleague

Humans are weird lol
Old 11-21-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I saw this the others day and I was thinking exactly what Scott said and would have said the same its called talking advantage I'm not aa but singling them out ignores the far wider problem like at home or at work - this happens a lot so you can't just say aa because its the first one anyone thinks of in recovery

If people care do something in your day to day life say something to a friend or colleague

Humans are weird lol

What is different is the destructive nature of alcoholism and the often broken individual who walks through the AA doors.

To be honest I find the people I work with and those I meet at the church social gathering my wife has me attend more sane/less drama driven than many in AA.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Quite so. It can happen in places of religion, employment, clubs, basically anywhere. As for alcoholics and drug addicts who are extremely vulnerable people, perhaps the thirteenth step should be raised more at their meetings. Indeed, Bill was held as being a victim of such......
My error should have read----perpetrator of such.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post

Humans are weird lol
I,m not singling AA out. As its first port of call for a good many alcoholics I think it important that they should be aware of this issue.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
My error should have read----perpetrator of such.
Yes, Bill W. was flawed but we all are.

Here`s an interesting read which highlights both the good and the bad.
https://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Bill-.../dp/0743405919
Old 11-25-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got bored back in May while attempting to do 90 in 90 and proceeded to hook up with one such eligible bachelor. I was six months sober when the relationship started. It had many highs and lows but all in all was very very risky and ended last week with me packing his belongings and placing them on the porch. Ew. Tacky.

I'm okay with it. I got out relatively unscathed, with some new life lessons under my belt. I will still hit my one year sober mark on Friday. Do I think it could have been much worse? Absolutely. Do I wish I would have taken the advice of the people who said wait? Nah, I feel like I learned so much about myself. But would I advise newcomers to avoid dating in the program? You bet. Not that they will listen.

I will say one red flag I wish I'd paid more attention to was when he said in the very beginning he was truly an addict, simply preferred AA meetings over na because the girls in na wore too much makeup.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job on your judgment in protecting your sobriety and on your first year.

I simply refrain from looking at women in 12 step meetings.

No good can come from it.