Notices

After effects of a binge

Old 11-14-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After effects of a binge

Wow here I am on day 3 of being sober but all the after effects are hitting me...and it’s the reality of not being present in life while being on a binge over the weekend ....I’m in school and I didn’t turn in assignments for 3 classes that dropped my grade in all of them. I’m pulling ways to provide for my wife and kids after spending most of our monthly budget on my last binge...I even woke up late to take my son to school...this sh**t sucks...even today I haven’t been itching anymore but I feel foggy and guilty of every situation in my house....when I’m not present and involved...things are all over the place at home...I’m really here for encouragement...because I feel like my life is overwhelming....
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tough,

The addiction is for life. Count on it. It will never go away, it will never let up.

I must get used to it and then I get stronger. The negative effects of drinking are what I use to remind myself I will never ever drink booze again.

We here totally know what you are going through and you can consider yourself still at a high bottom compared to many poor souls that have spoken up here. e.g. 3rd DUI, crashed car, hallucinations etc.

Suffering is the way I got through. When the AV says...you have been a good boy for ….insert time here.... it is ok to have a snort. That is when the suffering ramps up.

There are others ways through, meds, but I don't need them...yet. Same thing with AA...I don't do it...yet.

SR is my therapy and it has worked to get me this clean.

I curl up and suffer. The pain I feel is me getting well.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also posted this to be an reminder of a place where alcohol drinking can put you in...please for anyone early in recovery...stay strong...go to AA...become a strong believer in God if that puts you in the right place...but life can be enjoyable...and not miserable
Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, I also know the feeling of going through a dwi/dui...I know how it feels to be embarrassed that my truck looks like I played bumper cars with it...to say the least I have a laundry list of things that put me through a lot...
Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are back toughroad and congrats on 3 days. I did a lot of damage to people around me when I was drinking too, it doesn't make sense and it feels pretty horrible to look back at all of it, I know that feeling well.

It does seem overwhelming, but if you can take alcohol off the list for good that will solve a LOT of the problems in itself. Not all of them of course, nor will it undo what's been done - but staying sober now is a very powerful thing - keep at it.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better toughroad - at 3 days I could barely get out of bed...stay with it

D
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, what dee said. The exhaustion and brain fog start to set in and stay for awhile. There are unfortunately more rude awakenings ahead.

Then the fog will lift.

I'll add my congratulations for three days! Tough times, that first week, but you are capable, you are strong, and you can do this.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Tough,

The addiction is for life. Count on it. It will never go away, it will never let up.
I think this is a somewhat harmful way to describe addiction to someone. I can only speak of myself, but my cravings for alcohol definitely "let up" after maybe 6-7 months of sobriety. I no longer crave it or have a need for it, ever. The only time I really think about alcohol is when I think about what a mistake it would be to ever drink alcohol again. I do understand that I will never be able to have a normal relationship with alcohol, for what it's worth, so why bother?

----

Sobriety is a lot of hard work righting the past wrongs and self-improvement, but it's not always unpleasant. Rather, it's been incredibly rewarding for me. I am so much more capable with a clear head, yet sometimes I take on more than I am capable of and that's the thing I've wrestled with.

Hang in there, Tough. It sounds like you know what you need to do today and that is to not drink.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my experience: no, it doesn't let up: BUT! where it beats you with a hammer in the first four months, after 9 months to a year it just taps you on the shoulder, and you are much better at your response to it: after all, 300+ days of telling your addiction No is a lot of successful practice. Not only does "No" get easier, the craving leaves more quickly.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi tough,

I'm Wayne, hey don't mentally beat yourself up over this. The alcohol has done that already. The main thing is you don't drink from now on. Develop a plan and work it. Ask anyone here that has long term sobriety. You need a plan of action my friend. Sure the guilt sucks. Always does. We ALL been thru that. I did and said horrible things while drunk. It's part of alcoholism. But you can change that now. You have to be willing, accept change and make a plan of action and work it.
come here often. We're here for ya. Just don't drink again, that's the key to happiness.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always try to share it does get better

I'm not constantly craving - I don't even have daydreams of drinking anymore - I don't need it.

I love who I am and I love my life

If my brain is damaged (and I concede it must be after all my misadventures even before I started drinking) it hasn't hurt me none in my quest to get sober and stay that way.

There is a chapter two tough road
Old 11-16-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...SR is very helpful as this morning is day 5 of being sober...encouragement from the forums is a big help!...you guys keep it up as well as you’ve worked so hard for your sobriety time