Notices

Lost

Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

i just went throuh withdrawal last weekend, with seaizures and already drinking again, i think its time to cave in and go to AA before i die
is it really not religious at all? I always thought it was but im not religious so i never went... i know that sounds stupid but i dont wanna die
i dont know what else to do, my reg dr who sees me when im in the hospital for 3 days withdrawal with librium wont help outside of the hospital and i really don't know what else to do. I can only go 2-3 max without drinkign until the cavings are too strong
Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Spanked. I'd suggest you look into an inpatient rehab center if you can find one. Especially if you had seizures last time around you really need to have medical attention to detox. Unfortunately there are things much worse than seizures that are possible during detox so please get some help.

Cravings are simply thoughts in your head - you have the choice as to how you react to them. Having some support early on is very helpful, and AA would be a good choice as you'd have access to people to call and help you through them.

Regarding religion, does it really matter? If something can potentially save your life why not try it. All you need to have to attend a meeting is a desire to stop drinking. There are even atheist AA groups out there but at this point i woudln't let that stop you from getting help.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In AA some people are focused on the God thing and some aren't. No one can force you to believe or not believe anything, but there are good people there who can help with the practical problems involved when getting sober. Contacts, social events, company, ideas for happy sober living , and it's free.

It isn't religious, but it does work to make us better people and it saves lives. There is no medical help at AA, so if you are afraid of seizures or you are looking for medication, that is an issue for a doctor. I quit with no medical intervention.

Just stick with the people who seem to have a happy sober life. That's it. Ask questions.

Just for the record, you can make it past those 2-3 day cravings. We did, it's just uncomfortable is all.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

When you first go to AA you're going to get first aid in the form of support from other members of the group. Once you've had a little time for your mind to clear and your body to heal you can sort out the "God" thing. What I found is that I needed to believe in a Higher power that could help restore me to sanity (because drinking like I did was insane). It didn't have to be God, just that I wasn't it. Many people use their AA group (G.O.D. = group of drunks), while others many use nature, the universe or any number of things they see as more powerful than human power alone.

You sound like you're about where I was when I finally quite 5 and a half years ago. I reached the point where I was drinking all day every day and was so miserable I contemplated suicide each day before I took my first drink. I reached the point where I couldn't live with or without alcohol, and that is a special part hell I never want to be in again.

I finally went to see my doctor, got medically detoxed, went to outpatient therapy and went back to AA (this wasn't my first rodeo). I had avoided working the steps for many years while in and out of AA and in and out of sobriety. I felt that this was my last chance this go round and became willing to try anything, and I'm extremely grateful that I did as it has made a huge difference in my life.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You sound pretty damn desperate.

I was pretty damn desperate 8 1/2 years ago when I finally hauled my butt to AA.

I've been sober everyday since then.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going SBL?

D
Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give it a try, at least. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Give it a good try before you make up your mind. Meetings can vary so try several of them.

In order to stop drinking for good, no matter what method you use, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. Not easy, but simple
Old 11-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the most important sentence in AA: "the only membership requirement is a desire to stop drinking". Now in my 28th year, I'm still an agnostic who has a higher power. I owe my life to the love and support of people who were there for me from day one. God's speed.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go for it , I view the religious aspect as admitting we can’t control it ...

As has been said if it helps you stop , why worry ..