Notices

Halloween candy is the devil

Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have stopped sugar today and I feel like I'm literally dying. Brain fog, fatigue, snappy, depressed. Every moment goes like this "I'm going to get into the kids stash" followed by "no! No no no no, you can't keep putting this off, you have to deal with it sooner or later, you can deal with it months or years from now, or deal with it now....". I'm literally dying for sugar right now! Unreal. It feels like someone wrenched my own child out of my hands and walked away with her.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lol, you are really a feast or famine kind of gal! What happened to moderation? It doesn’t work for alcohol, but seems to be working in most other areas.
Regarding weight loss, I have decided to drop out of the rat race. My new goal is now making sure that I do not gain any weight on a monthly basis, with a stretch goal of losing 2 pounds a month. Maybe we’re too ambitious with our goals and then get frustrated/depressed when we’re not able to deliver?
Old 11-01-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wouldn't even know how to maintain my weight, I can't imagine doing that. My weight has only gone up since quitting drinking.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My calorie app (lose it) said today, "we've noticed on days you eat eggs, you stay within your calorie budget."

Well duh, because on days I find myself inadvertently face down in a candy bowl, I don't say "gee, maybe I should have a couple of eggs with this."

Lol
Old 11-02-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I wouldn't even know how to maintain my weight, I can't imagine doing that. My weight has only gone up since quitting drinking.
You already figured out a way to quit drinking and solve that problem, so there's no reason you can't apply the same basic concept to your eating issues. You define/accept the problem and make a plan to fix it, right? Sure you might need some help along the way - but don't sell yourself short- you already "know" what the solution is. And you know you are capable.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just finished my lunch before returning to SR
and read a bit. When I read your last post I smiled
because I had an hankering for eggs for lunch today.

So, I has 2 eggs with a half smashed avacado. Normally
id spread the little bit of avacado on a slice of wheat
toast with an egg on top, but decided today to leave
off the carbs and just have my good protein. Later this
evening i'll have my Salmon and some kind of veggie.

It took me a long time to learn how to eat healthier and
make some better choices in what I choose to put in my
body. I first read a lot and began to educate myself as
to what my options are while making these important
food choices.

Each food plays an important part in each of us
individually and with many nutritionists available
to us, they can teach you what to eat and how to
prepare foods so that you can live a healthy, happy
life.

Please stay strong and teachable.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think the issue here is making the commitment to quit vs moderate my problem foods. I am still attempting to moderate and that's when I find myself turning a cheat meal into a week long binge (that's been happening all year) and I haven't accepted that I'm not capable of just having the moderate amount but I am getting there.

The only way I could stay sober was to eliminate the possibility of drinking again.

I can do that with eating because I know exactly how to do it, but the prospect of not having sugar makes me unhappy for now...

I am going to try to make it until the week before christmas: a short term goal. I think that's all I can deal with now.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

There are healthy sugars or sweet things to
eat that wont compromise what you are
achieving. Diabetics cant cut out sugar
completely, right? They need to find the
right sugars to eat.

There is no way we can cut out salt
all together in our foods, because a
small amount of salt is important
to our health and we need it.

There are many forms of sugar out there
and in many foods. Find the foods with
healthy low sugar and is not processed.

There are lists of foods you can search
online that can tell you which are zero
to low in sugar and are healthy for you.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

StayingSassy,

Please don't beat yourself up over this.

If it's any consolation at all, I hate Halloween. No matter which type of chocolate or candy we buy to give out, I end up snacking on it all night. I also end up opening the bag up before it's Halloween and snacking on it. I even eat the type I can't stand. It's f*cked up, isn't it? Sugar was my first DOC and it's definitely a generational thing for me.

I used to enjoy Halloween when I was younger. But now that I am older and stay home to hand out candy, I can't stand it. I used to dress up and get a nice buzz going with a glass of wine or two so I'd be all happy when I answered the door. I stopped dressing up years ago. I have to fake a happy greeting now. I just think the whole idea of dressing up, walking around in the cold, ringing strangers doorbells and begging for sugar-laden candy is just ludicrous and stupid.

I hate sugar. I hate candy. I hate having that sh*t in my house.

I try not to beat myself up, though. I feel sick to my stomach eating that crap. I have a sugar hang over the day after Halloween and feel like crap. I put the leftovers in my husband's car and he leaves it in the office kitchen (actually, this year even better--his company shipped left over Halloween candy to the troops!). I get back into healthy eating the next day.

Knowledge that candy is full of sugar and preservatives is not enough to keep a lot of people away from eating it. Neither is thinking of it as poison. It's as illogical a substance-to-person relationship as alcohol is to many of us.

Maybe next year try to buy it day of, leave it all outside in a bowl and write a cute note for people to just take one. My neighbor did that one year. It may or may not work, depending on how honest the kids are. Then again if it was me, I'd probably step outside to take some candy in for myself. Which makes no sense because I don't even like candy..... (insert eye roll here). But somewhere deep inside of me is the memory in my neurons of how it made me feel when I was little and suffering from untreated depression.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I understand these cross addictions are no joke.. When I quit smoking it felt like grieving the loss of an actual person. I think my AV came up with some pretty elaborate explanations as to why I was feeling that way and why it would be ok to smoke again. It took months to heal. It took a relapse to see what a huge lie I'd been telling myself. But I can't regret any of it at this point, because it's true it doesn't get easier to deal with later.

I also understand your wanting to be black and white about it. I know there are certain things I just don't allow myself to (ever) buy because I know I'll binge on them. If it feels too overwhelming I think setting the short term goal for Christmas is a good idea, until then stay strong and just keep putting the distance between this and yourself. You can do this!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Update to my dear alcoholic friends,

I am on my fourth day of sane and healthy eating. Yesterday, I even ate about 150 cals worth of sweets after lunch. But kept on keeping on.

Life feels like it has promise again.

Staying on top of this. Was telling my daughter today how it feels like having to go through several psychological levels to get to the level where I can be on top of my food cravings. First you need a plan that works and stick to it...then you need to go through about 24 hours of hell, then you fight to stay up there, stay up on that level you've clambered up to, and remain firm up there.

sound familiar.....??
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

And never stop learning and asking for help
when temptation comes knocking at your back
door. Even with mood swings, good days, down
days, any day, stay connected to your lifeline
here with us in SR or someone close to you
that will have your back.

Support, care, understanding, strength,
positivity all in your corner.

Good job..!!!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
And never stop learning and asking for help
when temptation comes knocking at your back
door. Even with mood swings, good days, down
days, any day, stay connected to your lifeline
here with us in SR or someone close to you
that will have your back.

Support, care, understanding, strength,
positivity all in your corner.

Good job..!!!!!
And what a lifeline it is, here! Helped me stay sober without any other support system in place, and that says a lot.