Notices

Anyone else?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else?

Does anyone else love saying, "I don't drink"? I literally love saying it.

I remember when I used to worry about what other people thought. I used to think that not drinking would automatically make me not as cool.

Man, was I ever confused.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes me too! I really like this post! Some people look at me like I've got three heads when I say "I don't drink." (FULL STOP // no further explanation required!!) Of course I'm prompted to respond like that when someone assumes that because they drink therefore so does the rest of the world. Although I used to be insecure and annoyed by such reactions, I try to remember that back when I was an active alcoholic that I too used to think it was funny when people said they don't drink. Now I'm on the other side and realize how beautiful it is not to posion myself and call it normal!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I accidentally double posted and I'm not sure how to delete this one. So I will just edit it to say: My advice for those worried about telling others that they don't drink, just remember you're never obligated to explain why you don't drink. I've never regretted keeping private information private, but I have definitely regretted over sharing with people I don't know well or trust implicitly.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 10-29-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't had the occasion to say those words, yet, to anyone else, but it's good to know that it's so empowering. After reading this, it occurred to me that I can use it as another form of affirmation about staying sober by just telling myself each morning, "I don't drink". If I'm having a rough time of it and thinking of alcohol, the "I wont drink", works, too.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sixtyfour View Post
just remember you're never obligated to explain why you don't drink. I've never regretted keeping private information private, but I have definitely regretted over sharing with people I don't know well or trust implicitly.
I like this a lot.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sixtyfour View Post
I accidentally double posted and I'm not sure how to delete this one. So I will just edit it to say: My advice for those worried about telling others that they don't drink, just remember you're never obligated to explain why you don't drink. I've never regretted keeping private information private, but I have definitely regretted over sharing with people I don't know well or trust implicitly.

I agree with you about this. I don't go around announcing it, but if it comes up naturally in conversation I just love saying it. I always feel really good after. I only disclose the back story on it if it feels right, mostly though I keep that part private.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is true but I recently read that 50% of the US population has a drink less than once a month and 25% do not drink at all.

Those of us with "an issue" are roughly 10%.

How long has it been since you quit?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's been about 20 months.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do get a sense of satisfaction in saying it if asked, but I don't really make a habit of it.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

I get the biggest and bestest satisfaction in the truth of it
“I don’t drink” , the feeling of self satisfaction in that fact never gets old , keeps getting more satisfying
Old 10-30-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's my norm and it's super!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

I always like your mindset of "i dont drink" or "i'm not a drinker" my mind set is "i'm an alcholic dont give me a drink" and I think your outlook is a bit healthier.

I was offered booze by some band members this month a few times at parades. Now the ones that offered know I was a raging alcholic. I dunno why but for some reason early on i mentioned it to them. They offer I smile and say aaaaa 1 drink is 1 too many and a million would never be enough. They just chuckle and we move on.

I love the fact that they offer tho. Because it makes me feel as if i'm being treated as an equal. Not some less then drunk who cant handle his booze. See years back i was around family who all decided to drink and hide it form me like i was some lepar in the room oh dont let mr fire water over there see it he might relapse or something. so they all hid it etc.. I Found that more offensive. I liked being treated like a human offer me a drink allow me to say no and move on.

So yeah I like being able to say Nah I dont drink. I like being able to have the opportunity to say that every now and then.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah I must admit, I feel good saying it too. It's like saying " yeah I don't need that to have a good time" and it's true I don't.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never cease to enjoy saying "I don't drink" when it's an appropriate response.

I felt rather disingenuous saying it for a pretty good while in view of the fact that I drank so horribly for so long.

But even that eventually wore off.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Depends. I am proudly sober, but I don't like thinking about the things that I did that led to my getting sober. When someone is surprised that I don't drink I can't help but think of those things. It's not the best feeling.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I'm a former alcoholic.