Notices

day 1 and 2 are terrible

Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1 and 2 are terrible

new here and been reading helpful threads.

ever since high school drank beer on weekends or other times. (about 30 + years) Now I've been drinking a quart + or - of beer everyday for at least 3 years. recently started feeling bad in the morning and decided to stop.

day 2 doesn't seem better than day 1. nausea, pins and needles, foggy brain, kinda gittery. can't sleep. tired and lack energy. have to eat small portions of food all day long. don't feel well enough to have a full meal all at once because of nausea. don't feel well enough to take the trash out or go to the store or take a walk. afraid to drive anywhere. my main distraction is tv or being on computer. once in awhile I feel good enough to do things around the house but they are short lived and not very often.

unfortunatly there is no family to help and friends have either passed away or moved. I'd like to go to aa meetings but don't feel good enough to drive anywhere

read somewhere symptoms get worse as time goes on. is this true? also read duration of these symptoms could last about 5 days or more. is this true? does gatorade help? been reading about electrolytes and how alcohol depletes things.

my brain wont shut up! I have a battle going on. one side says a beer will make you feel better. other side says don't do it. hope I'm strong enough to fight the battle and don't give in.

feel as though I'm living minute by minute. appreciate suggestions for what to do about all of this.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Nibor and congratulations on your decision to quit drinking.

Yep, withdrawals can really be the pits - and they can last for several days. Rest, hydration and eating healthy foods will definitely help, but part of it is just your body reacting poorly to the removal of alcohol. The good news is that withdrawal is temporary. If you have serious health concerns it is not a bad idea to check with a doctor just to be safe, but the bottom line is that it's going to be uncomfortable for at least a few days.

Anxiety is also very common during withdrawals. Alcohol is a drug - a central nervous system depressant - so when you quit, your mind will rebound in all kinds of erratic ways. That too should settle down over time.

Drinking a beer to help things settle down would be a massive mistake. For one thing, how many times did you ever drink "one beer"? The other problem is that subsequent withdrawals could be even worse than this time. Some call it kindling - but for many of us each withdrawal period gets worse and worse. And even just drinking one beer can potentially reset you right back where you started.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I went through a medical detox, the withdrawal symptoms lasted several days before they started to improve for me, but I was drinking a lot more than you indicate and it was good I was under supervision. Your body reactions can be different from somebody else, so it's hard to say how long these will last for you. You can sip on peppermint tea to help with the nausea, I use that when my stomach is flippy-floppy, and plenty of fluids are a good idea. Make sure you are eating, slowly as you think you must now, with light, healthy foods. You might take a general vitamin supplement. Exercise may help, a slow walk for a comfortable distance; while getting out may also relieve some of the anxiety you may be feeling right now. Deep breaths are helpful to me if I'm feeling either anxious and/or physically shaky. I know you are having trouble sleeping, but rest is important nonetheless, and just try to get some sleep when you can. Keep reminding yourself that this is temporary, that things will ease. You may be surprised to find how relieved you will feel when the distress passes, and that's a good time to get to a meeting.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Withdrawal is hard, but if you stay sober, you'll only have to go thru it once.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi nibor!

Welcome aboard!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to detox/withdrawal! I'm sure everyone is a bit different, but I had an absolutely horrible withdrawal the last (final) time I quit drinking, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, vomiting, could barely walk, audio and mild visual hallucinations, it was really grim - but after 3 days or so, it got much better and I finally felt ok enough to take a shower and start to eat again. Not perfect, getting fully over drinking took much longer, but the acute withdrawal phase lasted 3-4 days for me, and after that it was more mental than physical.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It all gets better, nibor - we promise. Then you never have to feel this miserable again.

It's great to have you join us. Posting helps - it's a good distraction, & you never have to feel alone.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In 1 week you will feel better and 2 weeks even better. Every time I try to quit I always remind myself, "do I want to repeat this over and over again?" I'm starting to come to the realization that I don't want to feel sick when I shouldn't have too! I want to save being sick for when I die not when I should be healthy!!! LMAO! What are we thinking? lol
Old 10-24-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd imagine you'll see a big improvement from day 4 on - somewhere between a week and two weeks you'll really start to settle down. I started to feel really quite good after 2 weeks - the relief was huge. It's bloody unpleasant but thankfully it's temporary.

Best wishes to you for the week - hope you get out the other side and start to feel yourself again soon.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make it though but don't ever go back. Even when you think you can handle it.

You won't.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR Nibor and congratulations on your decision to quit drinking.

Yep, withdrawals can really be the pits - and they can last for several days. Rest, hydration and eating healthy foods will definitely help, but part of it is just your body reacting poorly to the removal of alcohol. The good news is that withdrawal is temporary. If you have serious health concerns it is not a bad idea to check with a doctor just to be safe, but the bottom line is that it's going to be uncomfortable for at least a few days.

Anxiety is also very common during withdrawals. Alcohol is a drug - a central nervous system depressant - so when you quit, your mind will rebound in all kinds of erratic ways. That too should settle down over time.

Drinking a beer to help things settle down would be a massive mistake. For one thing, how many times did you ever drink "one beer"? The other problem is that subsequent withdrawals could be even worse than this time. Some call it kindling - but for many of us each withdrawal period gets worse and worse. And even just drinking one beer can potentially reset you right back where you started.
thank you. everything you said helped.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you everyone. new here and can't figure out how to reply to each message.

I'm determined to say No to the demon in my mind that says to have a beer to feel better. eating, water, juice, soup etc is what I'm using plus trying to find distractions
Old 10-24-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's not easy to do, but coming here and getting your thoughts out there helps Nibor. It's good that you realize that you have a choice - you absolutely can say no to those "demons" - they are simply thoughts. As you get more time under your belt the thoughts will become less prevalent and less strong. Keep posting and reading here, you might want to consider joining one of the daily threads over in the newcomers section as well to get some regular participation with others with the same goal as you.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nibor everyones different - I hope you'll feel a little better tomorrow

D