Notices

Moments Iím Glad Iím Sober

Old 10-22-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moments Iím Glad Iím Sober

Hey guys,

Been awhile for me but I managed to make my way back here as we all hopefully do after falling off the wagon.

Iím a few weeks sober and I went to a spin class today that I had scheduled last week. Sundays were usually drinking days for me but I beat off that nasty AV with a bat and stayed sober last night and all I could think about during my exercise class was how THANKFUL I was that I was not hungover or sick. I fully enjoyed my exercise class and was able to push myself as hard as I wanted without having to leave the studio to puke (true story). The gym has become the thing that fills the hours after work where I would just go home and drink, and itís working out so far.

Iíd love to hear some of your experiences when you made the right choice, didnít drink and then was grateful you hadnít. It would be a positive thing, I think, to read when the cravings hit.

Iím always grateful for everyoneís input and support to make this such a great place to continue pushing in the right direction. <3
Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad I'm sober every morning I wake up feeling good. Go to bed feeling good, wake up feeling good.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to you dpac

Every day is a good day when I'm not drinking
D
Old 10-23-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your weeks of sobriety dpac! I would agree with the others, there basically isn't a moment of my life that i'm not glad I'm sober. I drank all day, every day prior to quitting so my life was miserable pretty much every waking minute.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Whenever I call my sponsor complaining about something she asks me "Did you drink today?" and when I say "no" she replies "Well then, its been a good day, hasn't it?" And she's right.

PS-She always listens to me and I can talk to her about anything and everything without judgment, but she does remind me to be grateful for my sobriety.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I know every day sober is a good day.

I had a moment yesterday when I went to the hair salon and they offered me wine!! I guess thatís a thing now. I declined and got my haircut and left but it put the thought in my head about drinking.

i instead bought a pizza and remembered all the days at work where I was so hungover I couldnít even do real work, sweating at my desk and head pounding. Plus I tried to remind myself that I have a spin class today and I didnít want to either go hungover or not go at all. I also have a calendar where I mark my sober days and I realllyyyyy didnít want to have to mark it as a drinking day after being sober for so long. Kind of a silly thing but itís like gold stars for kids.

So I shoved the pizza in my mouth and when it got to 8pm I went to my bed and didnít leave til this morning. I made it. Extremely happy I didnít drink and super ready to get my butt kicked at spin class tonight.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go dpac

D
Old 10-26-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Early in the morning when I'm up and showered and about to head off playing golf on a nice day is when I most appreciate it - I never ever resent sobriety in the AM. A sensible thing for me to do on days off is to pack my diary with good stuff during the day and the evenings are for winding down and prepping for bed. I've never massively enjoyed being out and about in the evening time anyway.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I know every day sober is a good day.

I had a moment yesterday when I went to the hair salon and they offered me wine!! I guess that’s a thing now. I declined and got my haircut and left but it put the thought in my head about drinking.

i instead bought a pizza and remembered all the days at work where I was so hungover I couldn’t even do real work, sweating at my desk and head pounding. Plus I tried to remind myself that I have a spin class today and I didn’t want to either go hungover or not go at all. I also have a calendar where I mark my sober days and I realllyyyyy didn’t want to have to mark it as a drinking day after being sober for so long. Kind of a silly thing but it’s like gold stars for kids.

So I shoved the pizza in my mouth and when it got to 8pm I went to my bed and didn’t leave til this morning. I made it. Extremely happy I didn’t drink and super ready to get my butt kicked at spin class tonight.
I'm glad you were sober when you left the hair salon.

Alcohol has a way of periodically being thrust in our faces.

I'm pretty good at saying "no" or "no thanks".

Your post reminds me of getting my hair cut before I got sober.

I would stumble into the barber shop/hair salon with a couple of tall boys while talking loudly (and, I though, brilliantly) to my barber/stylist about whatever banal topic which came to mind.

I'm sure the other stylists and their customers loved me.

Because everyone wants to listen to a know-it-all drunk when they get their hair done.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a month sober so it is early days but can honestly say I am glad I am sober every single minute.