Notices

Denied Care Due to Lack of Alcoholism

Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I have read some comments here where people are afraid of having alcoholism on their health care records. Well, my wife was denied general anesthetic for a procedure because she did not mention her past alcoholism! Apparently, alcoholism is a reason to justify a general anesthetic for this procedure.

We can appeal the decision and point out that she went to rehab, which should be on her record. In the meantime, we have to shell out the whole cost.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest talking with another doctor to get a second opinion. Since you mention payment, are you suggesting it was not approved by the insurance company or the doctors simply would not give it to her? And what kind of procedure is it for? Lots of variables at play.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd suggest talking with another doctor to get a second opinion. Since you mention payment, are you suggesting it was not approved by the insurance company or the doctors simply would not give it to her? And what kind of procedure is it for? Lots of variables at play.
The services of an anesthesiologist would not be covered by insurance for an endoscopy.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So what is the point? That we shouldn't seek help for alcoholism? Because that's not a good suggestion either.

Why wasn't the alcoholism disclosed prior to seeking this anesthesia? And why are they denying it? Because of the lack of disclosure? I mean lots of ex-alcoholics go under general anesthesia. What is the reason for this denial? It's dangerous? It isn't necessary for an endoscopy? Is it an upper endoscopy? Because I had one of those done and it wasn't done under general anesthesia.

Your post isn't making sense.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The services of an anesthesiologist would not be covered by insurance for an endoscopy.
I guess I'm not following either -if she never disclosed that she was an alcoholic, how would anyone know in the first place?

I'm really confused about what exactly you are trying to say, no offense intended.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, this is the title of the thread:

...then later you say:

Apparently, alcoholism is a reason to justify a general anesthetic for this procedure.
Could you just explain? Is she being denied anesthesia because she's an alcoholic? Or is anesthesia required [justified] ONLY because she's an alcoholic?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Or is anesthesia required [justified] ONLY because she's an alcoholic?
The insurance will pay for anesthesia if it is on her medical record that she was an alcoholic.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The insurance will pay for anesthesia if it is on her medical record that she was an alcoholic.
Did insurance pay for detox or a rehab? Or how did this information come into their hands?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have to admit I'm completely lost now. I the procedure one that would only be given to an alcoholic? Never heard of such a thing.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Coldfusion, I'm sorry you're going through this difficult thing. I hope you get it figured out.

I had an upper endoscopy when I was still a drinker. It was because I had reflux, so they stuck a camera down all the way into my stomach. I was given a brief anesthetic by a nurse practitioner. Not general anesthesia.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Probably because she would require a higher dose of anesthetic if she is alcoholic so she would need general anesthesia to cover the higher metabolism and tolerance of medication. It's important to know.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I always disclose my entire medical history when I'm doing a new patient form for doctor and hospital visits.

My history certainly includes my alcoholism.

It's been the most critical health issue I have ever had to deal with.