Notices

Does alcohol make you submissive?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does alcohol make you submissive?

Hello,
I'd assume most of us get ballz of steel so to speak when we are or were drunk and become dominant. But when we are hung over the next couple days after stopping or even several days do you find yourself feeling submissive?

There could be medical reasons inside our bodies or maybe you said things you shouldn't have and have to look at the ground in shame.

I just wondered if all of us drinkers go through this exact same thing.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Alcohol affects everyone differently Fronting. It's a drug - a central nervous system depressant, so it can cause lots of problems. The good news though is that there's a 100% effective solution to the bad effects of alcohol....don't drink it in the first place! You'll find a lot of support here if you seek sobriety.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol takes my power.

People do whatever they want with me when I drink, because I'm not mentally or physically capable. I am full of hot air, belligerent and angry, but there's no substance, no logic, no strength behind my words or actions.

One of the top reasons I quit a year ago: getting my power back. It's taking time. But in small increments, I move forward.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I think the guilt of my crap choices made me submissive. It made me maluable to others too. I'd get guilted into this or taht. and then made to feel like crap cause i drank etc... I'd then agree to anything it seemed like. This just added to my discomfort and crap circumstances so i'd end up drinking again to cope with it. and thus the cycle just kept repeating.

I got sober and was no longer so submissive / guilty started to get some confidence back boy did that rock the boat...
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Alcohol takes my power.

People do whatever they want with me when I drink, because I'm not mentally or physically capable. I am full of hot air, belligerent and angry, but there's no substance, no logic, no strength behind my words or actions.

One of the top reasons I quit a year ago: getting my power back. It's taking time. But in small increments, I move forward.
Beautifully stated sassy!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The life of a drunk is a divided one - where we fight against ourselves, drinking again and again, betraying that which inside us wishes and wants and needs to get sober. That divided life - divided in the most horrid and self-destructive way, namely against one's self - can only create complexes and insecurities and anxieties and fear - if you cannot trust yourself to do the right thing for yourself, who in the world can you trust?
Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome, Fronting,
and just wondering how the responses might help you?would you prefer to find out if we all have or had that experience?
for me, i wouldn't use those two categories, though i could be either of hose and a thousand things inbetween, depending on initial mood.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
welcome, Fronting,
and just wondering how the responses might help you?would you prefer to find out if we all have or had that experience?
for me, i wouldn't use those two categories, though i could be either of hose and a thousand things inbetween, depending on initial mood.
Hi
I guess I just asked to find out if fellow drinkers felt this way. I should have assumed we all would considering how can you be confident when you are sick and hung over so yea, should have known we all feel down after drinking
Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
The life of a drunk is a divided one - where we fight against ourselves, drinking again and again, betraying that which inside us wishes and wants and needs to get sober. That divided life - divided in the most horrid and self-destructive way, namely against one's self - can only create complexes and insecurities and anxieties and fear - if you cannot trust yourself to do the right thing for yourself, who in the world can you trust?
Wow. LG. So powerfully and accurately expressed.

I’m keeping it!

Welcome fronting
Old 10-05-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had abysmal self-esteem and I routinely people-pleased and let people run over me (and then steamed about it all in my head).

I have reasonable self-esteem these days because I try to do God's will everyday (the 11th step).

I don't people please.

I let no one run over me. I follow the Ernest Hemingway mantra that a man can be destroyed, but not defeated.

It feels better than the old circular self-defeating conduct and thought processes.

Much better.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. For a week after a binge I am a total doormat. I lack the confidence to accomplish anything on my own and I am full of fear. It makes me weak...…..
Old 10-06-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never really thought of the word "submissive" but that explains it well. I would completely grovel to the person I was dating, beg them not to leave me alone, and just kiss butt. Nothing even had to go wrong the night before I was just so vulnerable and needy. Yuck.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a doormat when I was drinking.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It did for me. Alcohol destroyed my self confidence. I've posted this before, but I absolutely hated all the lying and double life that alcoholism creates. After I got sober, not having to lie about everything was a huge relief, and once I was able to be honest with myself and others again, my self confidence came back.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I think getting sober is the hardest thing I ever did, but also one of the most submissive in a way. I had to admit that alcohol and drugs always win, and the only way I could win was to avoid them completely. If you are a 12 Stepper, I think there's an element of submission to your higher power.

Submission can be a beautiful thing.