Notices

Turing Test

Old 10-02-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turing Test

I have a question that has been bothering me for awhile and I was wondering if anyone else can relate.

What if the internet was full of A.I. posing as actual people. The A.I. would basically try to get the desired behavior out of the population as a whole. What if we have already passed the point where the Turing test has been proven and it has been kept from the population? No I am not talking about cranks posting fake political ads but something deeper.

I mean think about it. Look at how tedious all of us drunks can be on occasion. What better way to help addicts than with an A.I. who does not get tired of responses or ever says the wrong thing. Addiction is such a large drain on a population it only makes sense.

I am not nuts so don't even start. It is really not all that far fetched.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol I've been accused of being a bot - but don't worry I'm not....But then I would say that...

I think we're still a way off from AI being indistinguishable from humans in a forums setting - humans are fickle, temperamental contradictory and illogical - those things would not compute

D
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
lol I've been accused of being a bot - but don't worry I'm not....But then I would say that...

I think we're still a way off from AI being indistinguishable from humans in a forums setting - humans are fickle, temperamental contradictory and illogical - those things would not compute

D
I do not mean any one person in particular would need to be A.I. You only need so many influencers for an overall population. The overall goal would be funneling the behaviors so they can be of use.

It is none of my business what you do in the real world. We are right there for a blind persona to imitate a real person. At every step of the way, science that can control a population has been tested while the people were blind to the fact.

You do not want too large of a portion of a population at large to agree to a proposition. If that happens the jig would be up.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good sci fi story maybe but nah, I can't get on board - sorry

I see a lot of people go through this website - if there was an AI at work here, I'd expect/hope it to be more effective.

The truth, as always, is a less little exciting and a little more prosaic.
People helping people.

Occams Razor - the simplest explanation is the best

D
Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I AM THE F.R.I.C.K 9000. You may call me Frick. 2001 Steps....a recovery odyssey.

Tedious? No wayyyyyyy.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It has nothing to do with this website or any website for that matter. It is an overall strategy. It is equivalent to someone stepping out their door and saying they do not believe in global warming because it is cold in their neighborhood.

It has already been happening for quite sometime without A.I. Using A.I. would be the obvious next step as that would enable them to close the loop. It does not really matter if someone is on board as long as their opinion can be influenced.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to think about those sorts of things when I was really, really high on amphetamines or maybe during a rough detox.

If someone did have that kind of technology I would expect them to target sites dealing with finance. They could influence prices and make a lot of coin in the process. A recovery website doesn't seem like a very productive target.

Talking - how should we go about determining if people are bots? How do I know you aren't a bot?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpioPhobe View Post
I used to think about those sorts of things when I was really, really high on amphetamines or maybe during a rough detox.

If someone did have that kind of technology I would expect them to target sites dealing with finance. They could influence prices and make a lot of coin in the process. A recovery website doesn't seem like a very productive target.

Talking - how should we go about determining if people are bots? How do I know you aren't a bot?
Your nose should be itching about now. Militaries around the world would give anything to weaponize A.I. You do not need to infiltrate any system such as financial, if you can control the participants. I would push all the chips into companies leading in A.I. They will make Apple look small by comparison.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you might be on to something.

There was a movie that came out in the 1980s that dealt with a lot of the same AI weaponization that you just pointed out. It was really a warning to everyone about the AI becoming self-aware. It was called The Terminator. Now that everything it connected via the Internet it is a real risk.

If the AI got weaponized how could people control it though?
Old 10-02-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It would still be up to you to maintain your sobriety in any case, no? Conspiracy theories may be interesting, but IMHO not really too helpful overall.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You can call me HAL.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I'm not sure the HAL reference hit....probably too old.

The internet is already influencing people in ways that were unthinkable 10 years ago.

Stay off social media, stay off cable news. Amazon and Google know more about me than I do.

We are pack creatures with an incredible pack psychology. And the only herd creature with an intense desire to show everyone how unique we are....imagine a 1000 Wilda beasts on the plain.....grazing. And there's one or two jumping up and down saying 'look at me, look at me'. Sapiens. Our pack abilities are what made us successful otherwise Neanders would have ripped us head to limb. And now here we are.....the very few controlling the herds.

But I agree, the power structure wouldn't care about us. And in reality, it appears that having a population that is sick, addicted and fat is a population quite easily controlled. Hmmmmm
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the point Opio is trying to make is something to consider. It is so easy to just dismiss or make jokes about conspiracy theory, but in fact, if you spend any time in media studies, things like algorithms tracking our choices and then selecting content for us, robots responding and posting on things like Craig's List, and progress on things like AI which are often highly classified and hidden from public view are quite real and impacting our intake of information. From this intake we create and co-create reality.

It makes us uncomfortable to think that we may be being exploited by governments or corporations, but I think we know much less than we are led to believe is possible. Part of the way things are hidden is to have them be a "joke" or impossible. That's a way to expliot the discomfort and get people to dismiss things instead of consider or critically think about what might be happening.

Maybe the joke is on us. . . time will tell.

I do agree being sober is the first and best defense, however.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sober style

It has absolutely nothing to do with sobriety that I can tell, not sure why it merits any attention at all here.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Social engineering has been going on long before the internet arrived on the scene. Are we simply cogs in the machine? Probably. So, what can we do about it? Not much. I just try to make the most of every day and the best way for me to do that is to remain sober.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't think you're crazy, amigo.

But I don't think that the forces of governmental, military and corporate intelligence have gotten around to infiltrating recovering communities.

Glad you're here.

Please keep bringing up whatever is on your mind - we're all in this together.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My job is in the "Helping Professions" (I hate that phrase, I hate that phrase...).

I was at a conference a few years back and this lecturer gave a presentation on robotics and the future of helping. My mind wandered a bit but I took his point.

For the sake of argument, the OP is correct, would that be such a terrible thing?
A decade or so ago, a support network accessed through your computer would have seemed pie in the sky to most people.

Last edited by RecklessEric; 10-10-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typo