Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

10 days sober, but stomach pain is still scaring me

Notices

10 days sober, but stomach pain is still scaring me

Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talkinandwalkin View Post
A good home ailment for my stomach was/is beef jerky and mineral water. I don't understand it myself.
This made me lol, Thanks, I needed that.
I'm currently trying to cure myself with Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream with mango slices mixed in. Not sure if this is clinically approved, but it is working better for me right now than Jim Beam.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That beef jerky line cracked me up too!

I hear ice cream is Dr approved. Who am I kidding, it has long been a go to for me! Exercise and a healthy diet took me awhile since just eating was a challenge at first.

Glad you are keeping involved with us, and have a sense of humor despite this crummy period. I found that with a little sobriety, things like a toxic work environment, honesty in relationships and all kinds of self discovery came.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crispychipper View Post
I'm pretty good and keeping my personal feelings hidden and presenting an outward appearance of competence and professionalism. Everybody looks up to me at work and I go out of my way to help the downtrodden, but I work in a very toxic place that is run by nepotism, bullying, criminality, and abuse. Twenty years of that crap was my excuse to numb myself to the rampant injustice that rules the job. Enough whining for now. Time to move forward. Thanks again to you and everybody here for the encouragement.
I really hope that you choose and follow a plan of recovery as opposed to trying to get and stay sober on your own.

Glad you're here and sharing with us.

My liver hurt a lot the last few years I drank.

It's fine now.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was just talking to my adult daughter about how much my throat and upper abdomen used to hurt, all the time. I drank a lot of straight whiskey and in the mornings, on my nightstand you would see whatever whiskey was left in the glass when I passed out, and a bottle of Maalox.

Whiskey and liquid antacid, next to each other. Insanity.

I have no stomach pain at all now, no throat pain, and no reflux unless I go overboard on a food binge too close to bedtime.

alcohol is rough, rough, on the gi tract. My poor gut and how badly I treated it...

You will heal.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Gastritis is far more likely than stomach cancer. I barely ate for almost a week after getting sober...then I ate like a horse and gained 15 pounds. I had all of your symptoms.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I was just talking to my adult daughter about how much my throat and upper abdomen used to hurt, all the time. I drank a lot of straight whiskey and in the mornings, on my nightstand you would see whatever whiskey was left in the glass when I passed out, and a bottle of Maalox.

Whiskey and liquid antacid, next to each other. Insanity.

I have no stomach pain at all now, no throat pain, and no reflux unless I go overboard on a food binge too close to bedtime.

alcohol is rough, rough, on the gi tract. My poor gut and how badly I treated it...

You will heal.
Thank you for the optimistic prediction. I went to the doctor today to get the results from lab tests and CT scan. He said that the CT scan did not reveal anything of concern. I still almost don't believe it. My abdominal pain was mostly from destroying my stomach lining with a lot of straight whiskey on an empty stomach every night

I also found out that I was trying to treat my stomach pain with foods that aggravated the pain, ice cream and orange juice and carbonated beverages. Doh! I know better now. The pain is slowly receding and the anxiety and fear are slowly being replaced by hope.

I have a second chance that I don't deserve. Thank you all, thank my wife, thank my doctor, thank God. Today I don't want to drink. I actually never did want to drink, I just wanted to be drunk to escape from myself.

Now I have to deal with me.