Old 10-06-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations!!
(our lives are a bit similar!)
Old 10-06-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Great inspiration and congrats on long term sobriety!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on your townhouse, Grungehead. And congrats on 2000 days!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful

In my last post I said that was the final update, but actually this will be the final update as I actually moved into the house on Thursday. It's been a stressful time in my life...some of it "good" stress (like buying a new house and the dreaded move day), but I feel relieved to have it behind me now. My goal was to get moved by the end of October but that date came and went. Then my goal was to get moved before Thanksgiving but I couldn't work out the logistics between the movers and my "help" (my sister). I set a "hard" deadline of getting this done before Christmas and everyone made it happen (me, my HP, my sister and the movers).

I forgot how stressful moving can be and I'm very grateful that I have a recovery plan in place that allowed me to keep grinding to get this done without even a thought about how a few drinks might make it easier (a "few" drinks would have made it impossible). I was up at 6:00AM on move day, the movers got there at 9:00AM, and we finally finished at 6:00PM on what was estimated as a 5hr job. We ran into a major snag with everything loaded into the truck but the refrigerator. It simply would not fit through any door in the house without completely disassembling it. They finally got it out and everything is back together and in its proper place in the new townhouse.

I also got a great deal on an internet/phone/tv streaming package from Spectrum (not going with cable tv anymore) that gives me 30+ channels (including all local channels) I can stream online or though multiple devices , unlimited calling in North America, and internet with 200Mbps download speed (my old internet was 30Mbps). I self installed so no installation fee and my monthly bill is 80 bucks including taxes. It was quite satisfying to go to speedtest.net for the first time and get a reading of 236Mbps download speed.

As the tag under my avatar says...Grateful. That sums up how I'm feeling today...and really most days regardless of how I'm feeling or what's going on around me. I still have the occasional day where I notice I'm lacking in the grateful department, but luckily I have a simple plan of action that will remedy that as soon as I'm ready to stop feeling that way.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Grungehead. I’m very sorry about your losses, but I think your folks must have been happy knowing you were sober when they left you. A very inspirational story!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yep, they say moving is right up there with divorce and death as far as stress is concerned, even when the move is freely chosen. You were wise to pay attention to all the feelings and frustrations that came up.

I don’t know what it is about the “location” thing and this addiction, but it’s cropped up for me in the past. When we moved into our home in 1998 I had just had my second kid and wasn’t drinking but when I went into the closed patio in the back I had the strongest desire to drink and smoke cigarettes than I’ve ever had, the desire was palpable and so strong I remember it today, 20 years later. Also during sobriety my toughest times are vacation, and I’m not even sure it’s the fact that it’s recreation, it could be that “location” trigger again.

Again, your vigilance with paying attention to your emotions and checking in with yourself keeps you sober, I think if we ever think we have it licked, we are headed for trouble, even with years of sobriety.

Congrats on the new home!