Notices

1.5 year binge day one

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1.5 year binge day one

After a binge that lasted 1.5 years, I’m back. Last night the police got involved and my mom had to take my kids. I don’t remember most of it. Here I am today all alone shaking, throwing up, feeling worst than I have in my lifetime. I’m scared to detox I hate feeling this sick it’s like I’m crawling in my skin. I need help and encouragement. Any advice on how you detoxed at home. Unfortunately I don’t have insurance
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you shared. I went cold turkey and it was tough. I slept as much as I could, tried to keep down water or Gatorade, and eat at least something whether crackers or maybe a banana. I had a lot of withdrawal and post withdrawal symptoms from shakes to leg seizures to diarrhea to....and I thought of it as the alcohol rolling out of my body from head to toe, and it was a lot. I made spots with my drs - if you don't have health insurance you can still go to the ER- under a more usual circumstance I wouldn't say so that and just worry about a bill later, but since this can be a risky deal on our own, do it if you can't take what is happening .

The only way to break the process is to stop drinking. Nothing to calm the shakes or anything else.

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my doc gave me this tip Pour a can of sprite in a glass. Let it go flat and then sip. Should ease stomach upset
Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you're feeling so poorly.
I can relate. It's like I went to a party and didn't leave for twenty five years.
Take good care of yourself and as mentioned, go to the ER if necessary
Try some sports drinks to replace the electrolytes you're losing.
I've been there. It's pretty nasty, but remember, you never have to go through it again.
Best to you.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Sorry you're feeling so poorly.
I can relate. It's like I went to a party and didn't leave for twenty five years.
Take good care of yourself and as mentioned, go to the ER if necessary
Try some sports drinks to replace the electrolytes you're losing.
I've been there. It's pretty nasty, but remember, you never have to go through it again.
Best to you.
Thank you. I can’t keep doing this to myself and everyone around me. I want to live, not a slow miserable alcoholic death. Once the shakes have stopped and I can walk, I will be walking through the doors of aa. Luckily I have a wonderful mother who has come over a few hours ago to stay with me through this.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go to the ER or urgent care (cheaper) and tell them you are withdrawing from extended use of alcohol. Ask the dr. for a script for anti anxiety meds to detox at home. The meds are very cheap even without insurance . You need to get over the withdrawal first then get to AA and start a sober program. Best Wishes!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good on ya. I'm sorry you feel so bad, but imagine going through that for twenty years as I did.
Laying in bed not believing I did it to myself again.
Then feeling better only to do it all again.
AA saved my drunken butt, so I hope you do go. You're at the
point where you have everything to lose and I did. Still drank.
It took picking up that hundred pound phone and calling AA.

You can do it. And remember, you never have to feel this way again.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Kiki. I'm sorry it had to come to that with your kids and the police, hopefully that's the wakeup call you need to make this the day you turn your life around.

Regarding the detox, if you've talked to your doc and they said it's OK to stay home I'd still recommend keeping the phone handy or a friend that can take you to urgent care if things get too bad. Water is a good thing to have around, my stomach and GI was a mess for a while after I quit.

Unfortunately there's no magic pill or technique that can make WD's a comfortable time - but they are definitely finite and will usually only last a matter of days. And the reward will far outweigh a few days of feeling like crap!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This post comes late but what also helps for anxiety is cold showers and long walks. I remember when withdrawal anxiety was bad i would take long walks. i would walk for miles and miles.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went through that too, no medical help and no real way to get to a doctor except in an ambulance, I could barely walk because my balance was gone. What I did was just try to stay put, sitting or laying down, with plenty of water and a big pot I could throw up in nearby. I couldn't sleep for several days and was getting auditory hallucinations, so there was not much else I could do, and it was incredibly boring and also scary since I had no idea when it would end. But it did end, it took several days but it did gradually end, and eventually I was able to eat food, take a shower, etc. Your ordeal will end too!