Notices

Certified recovery coach jobs

Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
No, they literally told me we could discharge someone- congratulations! Take them out to lunch, etc- say they completed the program IF they were still using pot or alcohol. I swear to god this is true. I asked two separate people for clarification and they both said, it's not a requirement to be sober to complete the program. We were encouraged to let them make their own choices in life- even though those choices brought them into contact with law enforcement. Obviously they're not the best judges here lol. But if they decide drinking is okay for them, we have to agree- drinking in moderation (???) is okay. It's their life. Even pot. Harm reduction says that going from shooting heroin to just smoking pot is an accomplishment. That's how they see it.

And some government social service agencies see it that way as well.

I heard a woman in an N/A meeting say she smokes pot and drinks wine. However, she wasn't going to change her sobriety date. Her drug of choice was meth and that was her downfall. Not pot or alcohol.

Speaking for myself if I were to smoke pot (which wasn't my undoing and now legal in a number of U.S. states) I am fairly certain I would end up drinking again.

Why?

Because I have a history of abusing anything that gets me high.

So it is best I avoid pot and be careful taking medication.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If someone is being monitored by CYF, and they test positive for ANY drug, their kid is getting taken into custody. Period. I think that will cause anyone to relapse. I can't endorse a behavior that's going to have such dire consequences in someone's (not to mention the kid's) life. I just can't.

None of this matters, because I don't work there anymore.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
None of this matters, because I don't work there anymore.
I think it's important for everyone to remember that there are definitely people who think differently than us in the world. And even the concept of "harm reduction" is likely viewed much differently from one person to the next. Sounds like you ran into someone that you definitely did not agree with Lacey, glad you aren't in that situation anymore.

I'd also remind folks that we are here to help each other, not to debate. And also a reminder that Harm Reduction is not a "sobriety method" as defined by the SR rules so let's keep the discussion civll and remember that promoting drug use of any kind is against our forum rules.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting thread, thanks for sharing.