Notices

The Main Problem With Alcoholism

Old 09-10-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful

Because I have a problem with alcohol the over 90% of the population that doesn't have a problem should be penalized by making it illegal or much harder to obtain? All prohibition did was put the production and distribution of alcohol into the hands of criminals. Either that or people made their own (which was not illegal).

How about food addiction...is it fair that there are 200,000 fast food restaurants in the US?

How about gambling? It's illegal to gamble in most parts of the US yet it's estimated that there is between 100 to 400 billion dollars (yes billion with a b) wagered in the US on sports betting alone.

See where I'm going with this? I've been sober for over 5 years and there is always wine and beer in my refrigerator. My sister drinks wine. My niece and her husband drink beer. A couple of my friends drink either beer or wine. They manage to drink responsibly and I like being able to offer them a drink when they visit. There are 2 convenience stores a mile away from me and 2 grocery stores 2 miles away that all sell wine and beer, so I don't see much difference between it being in my house or being a mile or two away.

I think your issue is that alcohol is so readily available when you have an impulse/craving to drink. That goes away with time if you stay sober and have a solid recovery plan. I think history has proven that making a substance harder to obtain has never stopped people from obtaining it. It's just made it more dangerous to obtain, which only benefits criminals and punishes those who can consume those substances responsibly. And I know without a doubt that during my active alcoholism making alcohol harder to obtain would have never stopped me from getting it. An article I read on prohibition did show that there was a decline in alcohol consumption, but there was a proportional increase in crime that nullified those benefits to society.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My point here is not about willpower or the lack thereof being the main issue but rather the wide availability of booze.

There are more addictive drugs that are not huge issues compared to alcohol because they are hard to come by such as cocaine and barbiturates. Imagine if you can buy coke or benzos at any supermarket or convenience store for cheap, that would be much worse don't you think?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful

They might not be huge issues for you, but to those addicted to them they are huge issues. I was addicted to benzos for many years and I found them fairly easy to obtain, and legally I might add. Benzos are not "illegal", they are just more heavily regulated than alcohol. But I didn't have much of a problem talking a doctor into writing me a prescription for them.

I get your point, but alcohol is literally burned into the human DNA when that first pre-modern human ate a piece of rotting fermented fruit and caught a buzz millions of years ago.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sober style

There are so many problems involved with being a drunk. I'd hate to have to pick the worst one! And so many advantages to sobriety as well!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
They might not be huge issues for you, but to those addicted to them they are huge issues. I was addicted to benzos for many years and I found them fairly easy to obtain, and legally I might add. Benzos are not "illegal"
I wasn't talking about you personally and understand that benzos are tough. I had to taper off ativan for half a year myself. I also never used the word illegal.

Benzos are way harder to get now if you don't know. You can't get a prescription for more than 30 days and if you try to get multiple scripts they pharmacy network will be notified.

I don't like being alcohol dependent but I think it is way better than all the other stuff. Sure the withdrawal sucks but at least when you OD on booze you just throw it up instead of going to sleep forever. I just read that cocaine can cause longterm to permanent anhedonia after quitting. Can't imagine anything worse than that.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zerominuszero20 View Post
I Sure the withdrawal sucks but at least when you OD on booze you just throw it up instead of going to sleep forever.
A lot of people die from alcohol overdose and withdrawal. It happens to people every day and we have seen it right here on SR many times.

Your point about the availability of alcohol is understood, but it's not something you or I can change. And illicit drugs are a very real problem and available to anyone just about anywhere in many places. For kids under the drinking age, it's actually easier to get Methamphetamine than Alcohol around here.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Noted.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

To me this line of argument, which has been voiced similarly here on SR before, is similar to a serial killer blaming society for providing so many gullible victims. Or someone blaming candy manufacturers for their obesity.

The problem is not in the inanimate object, the problem is in me. And I either work it out or I don't.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Not an argument, just an opinion.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Opinions are welcome on SR as long as they are not disparaging or otherwise against the site rules. Arguments are not allowed. If you have difficulty understanding the difference between the two please consult with the site administrators. We will remove argumentative posts without notice.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I could have said line of thinking rather than argument. Or perspective or point of view. I

Either way, it's not what is on the outside that is the issue in any case. It's what is on the inside and what is then acted upon that causes the problem or resolves the problem.

Between the stimulus and the action is freedom. We can live in that freedom once we get sober.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

you know, zerominuszero, believing that availability is the problem takes your responsibility away.
in that sense, it is a convenient belief, no

now, given that there is availability, what will you do to quit and stay quit, if that is what you want?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
is that one will likely die of it, quickly or slowly, and painfully.
Exactly.

This thread definitely sounds like an argument at some points.

Peace.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Let's just say if it wasn't so available then I wouldn't have to remind myself every day not to think about it like you do.

Friend of mine got canned at work and couldn't afford it anymore and just simply stopped.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by zerominuszero20
I put the option out of my mind because there was no option unless I wanted to rent a car and drive to another state so I just accepted that there were no booze.
I bolded the important part.
It's not about whether the booze is available, it's about whether the option to drink it is available. When you remove that in your mind, then it doesn't matter if you're literally physically surrounded by bottles of booze, you aren't going to drink it.

Removing the option to drink alcohol is far more effective in the long term than just removing the proximity to alcohol.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by zerominuszero20
Sure the withdrawal sucks but at least when you OD on booze you just throw it up instead of going to sleep forever.
If by "going to sleep forever", you mean dying...then sorry but you're very wrong here. High levels of alcohol shut off the centers of the brain that control breathing, heart rate, and body temp.
Things like breathing are kind of important to staying alive, so yeah...alcohol poisoning can easily kill and it does, every single day.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

well i do know that can happen. i'm just saying most people will have a vomit response if they drink too much.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Two words. Amy Winehouse.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

i'm just saying most people will have a vomit response if they drink too much.
You do know that alcohol enters your bloodstream, right? Vomiting has nothing to do with whether alcohol can kill you.

What are you going to do to address your drinking problem?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Not Sure

I've known people that live in dry counties and they still drink. They have to take a trip across the county line to get and bring it back. I see what you mean though it's easy to get.